DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/603995-re-t-mobile-fastest-4g-lte-network-us-according-6-billion-opensignal-reports.html)

Harold Newton January 23rd 18 06:30 PM

T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:43:14 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

Any chance they can supply 12V versions? I should ask the local
T-Mobile shop...

You have to agree not to "move" them around without T-Mobile permission,
but I get your drift that they'd be great inside a car.

Let me look at the power supply, which is really all that matters.

The repeater (which basically just picks up a weak signal and amplifies it)
has a power supply whose secondary is 12 VDC at 1.5 Amps, which is
*perfect* for a cigarette-lighter adapter, don't you think?

The femtocell, which has to be attached to a router, has a power supply
secondary output of 12 VDC at 2.0 Amps - which is also within the range of
a car.

Of course, they work in hotels too, and camping, so, you *could* get away
with it - but I wonder if they could tell?

For the repeater, they might not be able to tell, unless the repeater
itself sends a signal *back* to the tower since I've already seen using the
debugging tools on the Android phone that the repeater just repeats the
*same* tower information to the phone.

That is, the Android debugging tools I've used show clearly that the
repeater itself, does not seem to provide the phone with any other number
but the nearest (strongest) unique tower number.

However, when my Android phone picks up the femtocell, the *unique* number
of the femtocell *is* displayed on the phone (this test can't work on iOS
even though the iOS Apple Apologists "say" it can, sans any proof).

In summary, for the free T-Mobile cellular repeater:
a. The free repeater use 12 volts DC input at 1.5 Amps of current
b. Hence, the repeater could be used in a car, theoretically (I assume)
c. Certainly it could be used camping or at a hotel
d. But would T-Mobile know that you moved it?
e. Maybe not. The repeater just strengthens the local tower strength
f. Does the repeater report back to T-Mobile? I don't know.

In summary, for the free T-Mobile cellular femtocell:
A. The free femtocell uses 12 volts DC input at 2.0 Amps of current
B. But it needs to be connected, via Ethernet cable, to 'something'
C. In a car, I don't know of that 'something' to connect to (do you?)
D. Certainly it could be used camping or at a hotel if you have an AP
E. But would T-Mobile know that you moved it?
F. Probably. The femtocell has a unique tower number & your IP address
G. However, you can change your IP address so, maybe T-Mobile won't notice?
H. But the IP address has a "geolookup" location - which they 'could' see

Dunno enough about this, but I added sci.electronics.repair because smart
people like Jeff Liebermann know this stuff far better than I do.

All I know is that T-Mobile gave me both, even though they normally only
give you one, because I have a large house and I get my Internet over the
air via WISP which Jeff Liebermann is intimately familiar with, so they
gave me both, for redundancy, for free, with zero deposit required.

nospam[_3_] January 23rd 18 06:40 PM

T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

In article , Harold Newton
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:43:14 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

Any chance they can supply 12V versions? I should ask the local
T-Mobile shop...

You have to agree not to "move" them around without T-Mobile permission,
but I get your drift that they'd be great inside a car.

only if you have a very, very long ethernet cable, because:

The femtocell, which has to be attached to a router...

Dunno enough about this,

yep. you don't.

[email protected] January 23rd 18 06:55 PM

T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6billion OpenSignal reports)

Don't feed the troll... No matter how accurate, brilliant and thoughtful your riposte, it cannot understand it, and the rest of us don't care.

Harold Newton January 23rd 18 09:43 PM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 09:55:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Don't feed the troll... No matter how accurate, brilliant and thoughtful your riposte, it cannot understand it, and the rest of us don't care.

pfjw, aka Snit, "is" the troll...

Just watch.

pfjw has absolutely zero capability to answer the on-topic question.

Watch. And realize that pfjw not only *is* Snit, but he's the troll here.

Fox's Mercantile January 23rd 18 10:14 PM

T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6billion OpenSignal reports)

On 1/23/18 2:43 PM, Harold Newton wrote:
pfjw, aka Snit, "is" the troll...

****ing moron.
Peter isn't snit any more than I am.

**** of

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

[email protected] January 23rd 18 10:14 PM

T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6billion OpenSignal reports)

OK - on the off-chance that you are actually serious about your question, and yet have no capacity for internal thought or logic, a condition proven repeatedly.

a) The repeater *does* report back to the tower, just as your cell-phone. How do you think cell-calls are traced? This is not just 'movie' stuff, but everyday stuff. Not just cell phones, but your car, your FitBit and much more. The point of this device is that you are in a poor coverage area. Otherwise, you would not need it. Meaning, it acts as an amped-up link for your phone.

b) Therefore, the moment you moved this device onto another tower, your provider would know it. They live for jackasses, cretins, donkeys and assorted other detritus - such as you - who somehow feel that agreements made in good faith are to be ignored for their personal benefit. Let me put it another way - if you can figure out an angle to cheat, they have entire staffs dedicated to thwarting idiots like you.

You really do need to get a life - and/or invest in learning about critical thinking as you are, clearly, a tick on the soft underbelly of society in your present state.

The Real Bev[_2_] January 23rd 18 11:27 PM

On 01/23/2018 09:30 AM, Harold Newton wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:43:14 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

Any chance they can supply 12V versions? I should ask the local
T-Mobile shop...

You have to agree not to "move" them around without T-Mobile permission,
but I get your drift that they'd be great inside a car.

Let me look at the power supply, which is really all that matters.

The repeater (which basically just picks up a weak signal and amplifies it)
has a power supply whose secondary is 12 VDC at 1.5 Amps, which is
*perfect* for a cigarette-lighter adapter, don't you think?

Exactly. Does it have a wall-wart with a USB socket? OTOH, I have a
couple of converters...

The femtocell, which has to be attached to a router, has a power supply
secondary output of 12 VDC at 2.0 Amps - which is also within the range of
a car.

Of course, they work in hotels too, and camping, so, you *could* get away
with it - but I wonder if they could tell?

For the repeater, they might not be able to tell, unless the repeater
itself sends a signal *back* to the tower since I've already seen using the
debugging tools on the Android phone that the repeater just repeats the
*same* tower information to the phone.

Why would they bother? Why would they even care?

[...]

I have USB and earphone sockets, but no ethernet :-( Does it normally
plug into 110V with a wallwart? I have a converter. Doesn't solve the
ethernet problem, though, which presumes a router :-( Never mind...

You'd think they'd provide a simple cigarette-lighter plug-in unit.
It's to their advantage that you be able to connect with T-Mobile as
often as possible -- otherwise you might choose Verizon. Maybe even a
rechargeable battery-operated unit so I could phone from the ski slope :-)

D. Certainly it could be used camping or at a hotel if you have an AP
E. But would T-Mobile know that you moved it?
F. Probably. The femtocell has a unique tower number & your IP address
G. However, you can change your IP address so, maybe T-Mobile won't notice?
H. But the IP address has a "geolookup" location - which they 'could' see

Perhaps run a VPN on your phone. No idea how practical this is.

Dunno enough about this, but I added sci.electronics.repair because smart
people like Jeff Liebermann know this stuff far better than I do.

All I know is that T-Mobile gave me both, even though they normally only
give you one, because I have a large house and I get my Internet over the
air via WISP which Jeff Liebermann is intimately familiar with, so they
gave me both, for redundancy, for free, with zero deposit required.

I NEED to visit the T-M store.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Once you've provoked a few people into publicly swearing they are

Harold Newton January 24th 18 12:06 AM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 13:14:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

We should take this conversation over to the thread *just* for this topic.

http://tinyurl.com/alt-internet-wireless
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.internet.wireless/MA_JEJ1JvKc

http://tinyurl.com/sci-electronics-repair
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.repair/keHFcrmptyk

http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/sWSyKnt3hDo

Harold Newton January 24th 18 12:06 AM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:14:13 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

****ing moron.
Peter isn't snit any more than I am.

Then why do you both troll exactly as Snit?

Fox's Mercantile January 24th 18 01:18 AM

On 1/23/18 5:06 PM, Harold Newton wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:14:13 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

****ing moron.
Peter isn't snit any more than I am.

Then why do you both troll exactly as Snit?

If you're too stupid to tell us apart, you're too stupid to post here.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Harold Newton January 24th 18 03:00 AM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 18:18:02 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

If you're too stupid to tell us apart, you're too stupid to post here.

All trolls troll alike.

Harold Newton January 24th 18 05:49 AM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 17:43:34 -0500, nospam wrote:

Why would they bother? Why would they even care?

e911

This is a useful answer from you nospam, which I, for one appreciate.

Probably T-Mobile cares for the following reasons.

1. I assume, as nospam did, that they have regulatory E911 constraints
2. I assume they also have FCC radio-spectrum broadcast constraints
3. In addition, I assume they gave the repeater to me for a reason and that
reason was *not* to move it around but to garner coverage in my home which
sits on a mountaintop quite a few miles away from the cellular towers.

Thanks nospam for being helpful.
--
BTW, Snit just responded in the s.e.r. thread, which you might find funny
(he did it under the nym " ); but it was 100%

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/keHFcrmptyk/wQMauAmNAwAJ
Could a T-Mobile repeater & femtocell be moved to a new location outside the Santa Cruz mountains?