Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Interesting radio I found.

www.qfxusa.com/Pdf/R-18US.pdf

I was at a local Salvation Army store and found this radio.
QuantumFX
Model: R-18US. AM/FM/SW1-SW7 RADIO WITH USB/SD BUILT-IN

The USB flash drive and SD card ports play MP3 music.

Everything works except the telescoping antenna is broken off (that's
easy to fix, as soon as I find one).

But I'm a little confused. In the battery compartment it says to use UM1
1.5v. The PDF file (above) says rechargable batteries. And there is a
plug for a wall wart listed at 6V on the radio.

In the PDF file it also says D cells.

I dont do much with rechargable batteries. Are these UM1 the D cell
equivalant rechargables?
Just curious, I only intend to run it from the built in AC cord.

This radio was made in 2012 (sticker inside battery compartment).

This is the first portable radio I have ever seen that has a USB and SD
card for MP3 music, and with 7 shortwave bands plus AM and FM it does a
lot. Well worth the $5 I paid.

One other thing, there is a sticker on it that says it has 1000 watts
P.M.P.O HQ sound system.

YEA RIGHT..... 1000W from a 5" mono speaker powered by 4 D cells. Talk
about bull**** advertising....

Has anyone ever heard of a P.M.P.O power rating?

Either way, for mono, it has decent sound, which may output 5 watts
maximum....

I bet this was a fairly costly radio when it was new....

Back to looking for a schematic for it. I dont really need one, I just
like to have them for everything I own. So far no luck finding one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/01/2018 11:17 AM, wrote:
[...]

PMPO, which stands for Peak Music Power Output or Peak momentary
performance output, is a much more dubious figure of merit, of interest
more to advertising copy-writers than to consumers.

It was thought up for those who are impressed by big numbers when buying
audio gear. (Been around for years, google not working for you ??)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/15/2018 9:17 PM, wrote:
www.qfxusa.com/Pdf/R-18US.pdf

I was at a local Salvation Army store and found this radio.
QuantumFX
Model: R-18US. AM/FM/SW1-SW7 RADIO WITH USB/SD BUILT-IN

The USB flash drive and SD card ports play MP3 music.

Everything works except the telescoping antenna is broken off (that's
easy to fix, as soon as I find one).

But I'm a little confused. In the battery compartment it says to use UM1
1.5v. The PDF file (above) says rechargable batteries. And there is a
plug for a wall wart listed at 6V on the radio.

In the PDF file it also says D cells.

Note: The rechargeable batteries are only 1.2volts vs 1.5 for an
alkaline I would advise against
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:08:29 -0600, philo wrote:

On 1/15/2018 9:17 PM, wrote:
www.qfxusa.com/Pdf/R-18US.pdf

I was at a local Salvation Army store and found this radio.
QuantumFX
Model: R-18US. AM/FM/SW1-SW7 RADIO WITH USB/SD BUILT-IN

The USB flash drive and SD card ports play MP3 music.

Everything works except the telescoping antenna is broken off (that's
easy to fix, as soon as I find one).

But I'm a little confused. In the battery compartment it says to use UM1
1.5v. The PDF file (above) says rechargable batteries. And there is a
plug for a wall wart listed at 6V on the radio.

In the PDF file it also says D cells.

Note: The rechargeable batteries are only 1.2volts vs 1.5 for an
alkaline I would advise against

That's right, I remember that now. Rechargable batteries are always 1.2
volts rather than 1.5 in alkaline or carbon zinc types.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/15/2018 10:17 PM, wrote:
[...]

The price is right but...jeez, it's got a face only a mother could love.
The enclosure design and front panel would've looked outdated in 1988.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Looks like throw-away Chinese junk. I see the sales sheet says built in condenser mic... any evidence of a recording function?

Also sports CFD lighting. What the hell is CFD?

Do the controls feel as ****ty as I imagine they must?

Does it - or does it not -- have a built in rechargeable battery?
If it really weighs 5 lbs it just might.

My guess is it's worth the $1 you paid for it. Oh wait...

Don't waste another dime on an antenna. Use that "easy to hold" strap to launch it into the nearest dumpster.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A few things:

a) UM-1 is the Pacific Rim designation for a D-cell. Whether one-time or rechargeable. It relates to the physical size of the battery. Not to worry about 1.2 vs. 1.5 or 1.56 V. The circuitry will handle it. Unless there is a switch inside the battery compartment (as with many Grundig & some Siemens radios), ignore the distinction.

b) P.M.P.O is a measure of what happens when you short-circuit the entire battery capacity added to whatever charge is in whichever capacitors directly into the speaker, for about one millisecond. It is an impressive, but entirely meaningless number.

c) Essentially, this is an analog radio-in-a-chip, and for all that will pick up strong SW stations, and do otherwise OK on AM & FM. But it will not stand up to any comparison with a purpose-built SW radio of the same size and band-spread. Kinda-sorta like comparing a Mini to a Yugo. About the same size, four wheels, steering wheel, doors, seats, after which the resemblance stops.

I believe these retailed originally around $20 for about a week, then rapidly were 'remaindered' for prices all over the map. I have a very small Chinese 9-band radio

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg That I snagged at Kutztown for $1. The two D (!) cells inside were worth more than the radio. It plays OK, but the 7-band radio I snagged a day later for $10 https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/siemens_rk_747rk74.html blew it away. Today, it resides on the bench primarily to pick up LO Signals when I am troubleshooting.

Not a bad find if you are into that kind of stuff - and it should last for years. But, it is Chinese.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 9:07:57 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Except for the review that said it lasted a month.

As with much Chinese Junque, what comes down the line varies much as do apples from a tree. If it has made it this far, it is one of the very few that was worm-free.

Writing for myself, I would rather have the Trabant. That they had two-cylinder, two-stroke engines and very basic transmissions, and fiber-board bodies is, perhaps, why they actually did last for years, and years. With the Yugo, it was a fast race between rust, transmission failure, engine bearings....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 14:16:35 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 9:07:57 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Except for the review that said it lasted a month.

As with much Chinese Junque, what comes down the line varies much as do apples from a tree. If it has made it this far, it is one of the very few that was worm-free.

Writing for myself, I would rather have the Trabant. That they had two-cylinder, two-stroke engines and very basic transmissions, and fiber-board bodies is, perhaps, why they actually did last for years, and years. With the Yugo, it was a fast race between rust, transmission failure, engine bearings....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I wish I'd stockpiled Trabbies when they were going for 20 notes each.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Peak momentary power out. I think, but not sure I have heard it as peak
music power. Somekind of advertising bull. I have seen lots of
computer speakers rated for 100 watts or more and inside the box is a 2
watt or less speaker.

It is sort of like a radar pulse where for a microsecond you pulse out
thousands of watts, but the average on the tube is about 5 watts.

Think of it as a capacitor discharging. It will dump almost the whole
load in a microsecond. Same as some newer batteries like in the
emergency car starters that fit in a glove compartment. They will dump
out a few hundred amps for about 3 seconds to get the car engine to
rotate once or twice to get you started.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've had a few of these Chinese radios -- one was even labeled Grundig, and it had the little dynamo crank that charged anemic ni-cads.

None have been worth using as a radio, they are un-listenable. The Grundig had a built in flashlight, and in the days before LED flashlights, I actually made use of that radio once in an emergency to shed light on a tire-changing operation. But not the radio.

I find the audio so bad, so flat, that after mere moments I need to turn it off.

Now when I see them at swaps or estate sales, I don't even give them a 2nd look.

Last weekend I did fine a rather handsome early Sony transistor (turned out to be a rather rare bird), and a Realtone space capsule radio. Neither of these would have great audio either, but both have historical and visual appeal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/16/18 2:36 PM, Terry Schwartz wrote:
Last weekend I did fine a rather handsome early Sony
transistor (turned out to be a rather rare bird), and a
Realtone space capsule radio. Neither of these would have
great audio either, but both have historical and visual
appeal.

*laughs* Yes, there's "crap" and then there's "Utter crap."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 8:52:32 AM UTC-5, Terry Schwartz wrote:
Looks like throw-away Chinese junk. I see the sales sheet says built in condenser mic... any evidence of a recording function?

Also sports CFD lighting. What the hell is CFD?

Come on Terry, you're a pro!! CFD is Compact Fluorescent Diode...

You're welcome.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

So, what are you saying, Jeff? :-)

*laughs* Yes, there's "crap" and then there's "Utter crap."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That might have potential. I'll need to think about that!

Come on Terry, you're a pro!! CFD is Compact Fluorescent Diode...

You're welcome.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/16/18 6:12 PM, Terry Schwartz wrote:
So, what are you saying, Jeff? :-)

*laughs* Yes, there's "crap" and then there's "Utter crap."

There's stuff others would consider crap that you or I would
enjoying because it has some intrinsic value to us.

Then there's stuff that is nothing more than utter crap.
Like 90% of what you see in a thrift store.

That that crap is on sale for $1 doesn't surprise me. What does
surprise me is that that stuff ever sold in the first place.
At retail.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0