Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:53:13 -0500, Tom Biasi
wrote:

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM, wrote:
My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

Walmart has a USB mouse for $4.79 USD

You get a "F" for reading comprehension.

I SAID: I need a PS/2 mouse.
I probably have 4 USB mice, which are not suitable for my needs.

I did just find they make adaptors, to convert a USB mouse to PS/2. I
ordered one on ebay for about $3. But until I get it, I have to keep
fighting with this mouse, which works fine for awhile, then refuses to
do anything till I beat the crap out of that button a dozen times or
more.....

Tomorrow I plan to go to Goodwill. They usually have mice....
I'll probably buy several of them, if they have any PS/2 ones. Seems
that are getting hard to find....

I never understood the reasoning for USB mice or keyboards. Many
computers only have 2 USB ports. Why waste them for a mouse or keyboard
when there are PS/2 ports.... One of my computers had both a USB mouse
and keyboard, and only had 2 USB ports. In order to use a flash drive I
had to keep unplugging either the mouse or keyboard.... Apparently these
are more "Designed by idiots" products.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 4:32:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

The switch inside is called a tact-switch and these are readily available and can be installed easily by anyone with soldering skills. The switches themselves are not "cleanable" typically. In most cases the small metal diaphragm gets fatigued and won't work properly. These switches usually cost less than $1

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote on 1/13/2018 5:50 PM:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:53:13 -0500, Tom Biasi
wrote:

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM,
wrote:
[...]

By "many computers" you mean many computers running Windows 98, right? My
laptop has four USB Ports. I don't think I've seen one that has less than
three in the last 10 years.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/13/2018 5:50 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:53:13 -0500, Tom Biasi
wrote:

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I never even considered that would be a problem. I guess it was for you.
Sorry I was of no help. You have antique equipment and just thought you
could make use of modern available devices.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/13/18 8:31 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:

It's just another BS post from this AH.

Ayup.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/13/2018 9:57 PM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/13/18 8:31 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:

It's just another BS post from this AH.

Ayup.

It's not my nature to say these things Jeff but I'm a little off my game
today.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 13 January 2018 22:53:27 UTC, wrote:

I did just find they make adaptors, to convert a USB mouse to PS/2. I
ordered one on ebay for about $3.

Sometimes those work, sometimes not. It depends on what the mouse & PC are capable of.

I never understood the reasoning for USB mice or keyboards. Many
computers only have 2 USB ports. Why waste them for a mouse or keyboard
when there are PS/2 ports.... One of my computers had both a USB mouse
and keyboard, and only had 2 USB ports. In order to use a flash drive I
had to keep unplugging either the mouse or keyboard.... Apparently these
are more "Designed by idiots" products.

It's a bit cheaper to lose the ps/2 ports, and end users assume USB mice are somehow better, although they're really worse.
And fwiw you can plug the mouse & keyboard into any usb port.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM, wrote:
My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

Hi Oldschool, I have been reading this thread with a smile.

I also have a Win98se machine that I desperately need to do what I do.

When I was really concerned it was was going to die and leave me with
nothing but tears and frustration beyond human limits, I searched
eBay and found a guy that was building Pentium 4 systems running
Win98se. Long story short I bought two(2) for $125 each.

Now I have a set of twin Win98se machines, Unit (A) and Unit (B).
Both with USB mouse and keyboard. Presently only using Unit (A) and by
my theory of universal backup planning as long as I have Unit (B) then
Unit (A) will never die. Best $125 ever spent.
Well actually $250 but who's counting.

My original Win98se still runs to this day and only use it when I need a
file that was not important at the time, 5 years ago, to move over.

Good luck with your PS/2 to USB adapter thingie. That may be a short
term fix as everything eventually breaks, one way or another.

Les

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 1:32:27 PM UTC-8, wrote:
My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

Are you sure it doesn't have a broken solder joint on the switch? Years of clicking could cause cracking.

G²

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

Searching around forNOS might dig up a ball mouse from when they came with
an adaptor - I had a few left over from various things and found they're not
universal. if it came in the same box as the device - it should work.

I'd get some cheap mice from flea markets until I found the right spare
switch to salvage.

Ball mice didn't work for me because i used to be a heavy smoker. the
optical ones rarely work on proper mouse mats, but they work perfectly on a
sheet of plain white paper. just stick a sheet on the mouse mat with carpet
tape and trim round the edges.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/14/18 4:05 PM, rickman wrote:
he doesn't like buying Chinese when he can get a part sold in the USA
even though they are all the same

You haven't been paying attention.
He buys Chinese all the time, he's too cheap to buy American.
He just rags on them non-stop to show he's a real patriotic American.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Notwithstanding, here's the USB to PS/2 adapter you need.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252486083292 "

Those pretty much do not work. It may have the correct wiring but the USB drivers must be installed, and if they are then the problem is solved.

I remember building a 98 PC for a buddy of mine. After all the ordering of components, it was off to the local PC store for a few things. They talked him into a USB keyboard. I said "Just how fast can you type ?" but he got talked into it anyway. Problem was he wanted to use a power on password which of course won't work in 98 with a USB keyboard.

The same is true of USB keyboards as well as mice. The wires in the adapter plug are not the whole story.

You should still be able to find an optical PS/2 mouse. I have one. Even though I run XP on that box it works just fine, lucky in light of the fact that I have boot drive select on that machine.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sometimes those work, sometimes not. It depends on what the mouse & PC are capable of. "

The adapter is just a plug to a plug. It either needs USB drivers or some software to convert the PS/2 mouse port to a USB mouse port. Such software does exist, as does for regular serial to UBS (I beet performance sucks) and parallel to USB (common on printers of a certain vintage.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 15 January 2018 02:05:09 UTC, wrote:
NT:

"Sometimes those work, sometimes not. It depends on what the mouse & PC are capable of. "

The adapter is just a plug to a plug. It either needs USB drivers or some software to convert the PS/2 mouse port to a USB mouse port. Such software does exist, as does for regular serial to UBS (I beet performance sucks) and parallel to USB (common on printers of a certain vintage.

I've used such adaptors with many mice. Some work off the bat, some won't. Why? Because mice generally have the ability to work with either of 2 port types, though which 2 varies. (That means if you cut off a mouse's plug and wire on a different type, sometimes it will work.)

Early Win3.1 era mice were DB9 only. For years most mice did PS/2 or USB.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Once upon a time on usenet Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/14/18 4:05 PM, rickman wrote:
he doesn't like buying Chinese when he can get a part sold in the USA
even though they are all the same

You haven't been paying attention.
He buys Chinese all the time, he's too cheap to buy American.
He just rags on them non-stop to show he's a real patriotic American.

So a Trump voter then?
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/14/18 9:47 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/14/18 4:05 PM, rickman wrote:
he doesn't like buying Chinese when he can get a part sold in the USA
even though they are all the same

You haven't been paying attention.
He buys Chinese all the time, he's too cheap to buy American.
He just rags on them non-stop to show he's a real patriotic American.

So a Trump voter then?

Probably not, but he certainly appears ignorant enough

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:50:52 -0600, wrote:

ISAID: I need a PS/2 mouse.

There are USB 2 PS/2 adaptors so you can easily go with a USB mouse
once you have the adaptor. And PS/2 mice are really getting scarce.

--
HTH
Archer

How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse? james Home Repair 56 June 19th 16 03:05 PM
mouse food or mouse poison! Fergus McMenemie[_2_] UK diy 24 November 3rd 09 07:05 PM
Only good mouse is a dead mouse, yes, but how to get there? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 41 January 5th 09 02:43 AM
OT - Computer Mouse J T Woodworking 4 August 10th 07 06:02 PM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 04:59 PM