Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

Default The smartest thing Apple ever did is to offer the cheap batteries

Opinion: The smartest thing Apple ever did is to offer the cheap batteries.

You'll never hear me ever say Apple Marketing is stupid.
Think about this...

Many are assuming Apple cheapened its expensive replacement batteries to
"temper criticism"(1) over its "bonhead handling"(2)of their secret "peak
performance" feature (doublespeak for capping CPUs at half speed).
"Apple+IBk-s bargain battery replacement campaign is an attempt
to kiss and make up."(3)

As a result, Barclays says "519 million users" can take advantage of the
$29 battery offer, where, Barclays says, if only 10% take advantage of the
offer and if 1/3 of those decide to keep the doubled-speed phone instead of
buying a new iPhone, then Barclays estimates Apple will lose 16 million
sales in 2018 alone.(4)

On the one hand, Apple loses around 16 million sales, but think about what
would have happened if Apple *didn't* replace the batteries on these
phones?

In just a short time, each of those half a billion iPhone owners would be
stuck with an iPhone whose life was "extended" by Apple courtesy of
limiting "peak performance" (an euphemism for capping CPU speed by more
than 1/2).

By replacing the battery, these customers get a temporary reprieve, for at
least another year, before their phones halve in performance again.

By that simple action of replacing defective batteries *at customer cost*,
Apple pushes off the ire of half a billion customers, for at least another
year.

That reprieve for Apple Marketing is *crucial*, I posit, for them to
weather what *will* happen when *those* refurbished iPhones again (and
again and again) throttle themselves back to 1/2 CPU speeds after just
another year.

Bloomberg asks: Can Apple Profit From Its Battery Debacle?(5)

The answer is yes! Emphatically.
Why?

Because they push off the inevitable, for only one year, at customer
expense. Then the phones halve their speed again (and again after that).

You have to admit, Apple Marketing is sheer genius!

--
Ref1: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/iphone-battery-replacement-cpu-throttling-3370511
Ref2: http://www.zdnet.com/article/can-apple-dig-itself-out-of-the-iphone-throttling-hole-it-created-for-itself/
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 05:26:43 +0000 (UTC), Harold Newton wrote:

You'll never hear me ever say Apple Marketing is stupid.

Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Power Management Feature in Older iPhones Will Be
Able to Be Turned Off in Future Update
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/17/tim-cook-on-iphone-battery-controversy/

"Previously there was no clear notice that it would cause devices
to operate slowly."

"Cook says Apple will also allow customers to turn off the power
management feature ... first in a developer release that happens
next month."

"We will tell someone we're reducing your performance ...and if you
don't want [reduced performance], you can turn it off."
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 03:19:56 +-0000 (UTC), Harry Newton wrote:

"We will tell someone we're reducing your performance ...and if you
don't want [reduced performance], you can turn it off."

"Apple should be required to preserve that data and produce it to
Plaintiff+IBk-s counsel," said Levitt in a statement.

"Levitt says he filed the injunction... which charges Apple deceived
many of its customers into buying brand new iPhones by rolling out
its iOS throttling software, causing them material financial damages."

"Apple has a policy of getting rid of batteries it pulls out of phones,
and we want the diagnostics. We want to make sure everything is
preserved" he said."

Notice the implication that Apple is quietly *destroying* the evidence in
the class action lawsuit cases, by swapping out the defective batteries and
not preserving them.

Nobody should ever say Apple Marketing is stupid!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/01/16/those-old-iphone-batteries-suing-lawyer-wants-apple-keep-them/1037770001/
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

In article , Harold Newton
wrote:

"Apple has a policy of getting rid of batteries it pulls out of phones,
and we want the diagnostics. We want to make sure everything is
preserved" he said."

Notice the implication that Apple is quietly *destroying* the evidence in
the class action lawsuit cases, by swapping out the defective batteries and
not preserving them.

they don't need the old batteries to have the diagnostic data.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Please do not engage with this troll. Full Stop

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 01:28:49 -0500, nospam wrote:

they don't need the old batteries to have the diagnostic data.

Let's see if the judge orders Apple to preserve them then.

Meanwhile, my 2012 S3 is still running at its full claimed CPU speeds due
to an amazing ability to replace batteries at will, even from 2,300mAh to
7,000mAh capacities with an external charger & $1 rubber backs to fit.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/01/19/battery1.jpg
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 05:26:43 +0000 (UTC), Harold Newton wrote:

You have to admit, Apple Marketing is sheer genius!

And now they're canceling the iPhone X production this summer.

Apple Leak Reveals Sudden iPhone X Cancellation
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/01/21/apple-iphone-x-buy-sales-specs-new-iphone-release-date/

"It may be the smartphone of the moment, but a new leak reveals
will soon cancel the iPhone X. And the source could not be more
credible."

"Acclaimed KGI Securities' analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says disappointing
sales of the iPhone X will lead to the cancellation of the model
"with production ceasing in the summer". This would be the first
time Apple has cancelled an iPhone model after just one generation
since the iPhone 5C in 2014."
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android

On 1/21/18 11:00 PM, Harold Newton wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 05:26:43 +0000 (UTC), Harold Newton wrote:

You have to admit, Apple Marketing is sheer genius!

Still talking to yourself?

**** off.

--
"I am a river to my people."