Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Default Apple throttled your iPhone by cutting its speed almost in HALF!

On 2018-01-03, harry newton wrote:
He who is Jolly Roger said on 3 Jan 2018 06:25:53 GMT:

Get some new material, old foolish troll.

Think about

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

I think we can see who the troll is. Anyone who o feels the need to post
four times complaining about someone being a troll *is* a troll.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-03, harry newton wrote:
He who is Jolly Roger said on 3 Jan 2018 06:25:53 GMT:

Get some new material, old foolish troll.

Think about

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

I think we can see who the troll is. Anyone who o feels the need to post
four times complaining about someone being a troll *is* a troll.

"Gosh, I KNOW, right? And anyone who calls out a racist for being a
racist *is* racist, y'all!"

Bull**** reasoning. The asshole currently known as "Harry Newton" has
been trolling the Apple news groups and belittling complete strangers in
them literally for hours a day for years now. He constantly changes his
name to avoid kill filters and pollutes the otherwise peaceful Apple
news groups with lame trolls filled with lies and misguided opinions.
Here's an incomplete list (and counting) of his names:

Paul B. Andersen, Adair Bordon, Liam O'Connor, Juan Camilo Blanco,
Alphonse Arnaud, Danny D., Vinny Perado, Whitney Ryan, Tony Cito, Adam
H. Kerman, Werner Obermeier, Steven Bornfeld, Winston_Smith, Mitch
Kaufmann, Paul M. Cook, E. Robinson, Alice J., P. Ng, Tam Nguyen, VPN
user, Joe Clock, Marob Katon, Chris Rangoon, AArdvarks, Conradt, Gustl
Hoffmann, Henry Jones, Tatsuki Takahashi, AL, Horace Algier, Karl
Schultz, Arthur Conan Doyle, Algeria Horan, Horace Algier, Raymond
Spruance III, Martin Chuzzlewit II, John Harmon, Yanis Bernard, Stijn De
Jong, Abe Swanson, Misha Vasiliev, Tomos Davies, Chaya Eve, Lionel
Muller, Roy Tremblay, Frank S, Chaya Eve, Blake Snyder, harry newton,
Harold Newton

Multiple regulars in these news groups call him out on his lame-ass
trolls. But little, old *you* have decided to step in and support the
troll. Good work, there, junior!

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Jolly Roger wrote on 1/3/2018 6:15 PM:

Multiple regulars in these news groups call him out on his lame-ass
trolls. But little, old *you* have decided to step in and support the
troll. Good work, there, junior!

No, I'm just calling it like I see it. You jumped into a reasonable
conversation making five (not four, my mistake) posts complaining about
troll behavior without indicating what was "trollish". Now you want to
argue about your trollish behavior and call me names. You are currently the
problem, not a cure. Why don't you stop being a troll and we can let the
conversation continue?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.android, sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 3, 2018, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-03, harry wrote:
[...]

Also, the cross posts to unrelated groups, and groups where he anticipates
some sort of support, and/or validation, are a pretty good clue as to the
trollish nature of posts from the Santa Clara nymshifter.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/3/18 5:19 PM, rickman wrote:

No, I'm just calling it like I see it.Â* You jumped into a
reasonable conversation

There has been nothing reasonable about this conversation.
It's been 100% Harry against the world.
And anyone that even slightly disagrees with him is called
a variety of names.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.android, sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 3, 2018, rickman wrote
(in article ):

Jolly Roger wrote on 1/3/2018 6:15 PM:

Multiple regulars in these news groups call him out on his lame-ass
trolls. But little, old *you* have decided to step in and support the
troll. Good work, there, junior!

No, I'm just calling it like I see it. You jumped into a reasonable
conversation making five (not four, my mistake) posts complaining about
troll behavior without indicating what was "trollish". Now you want to
argue about your trollish behavior and call me names. You are currently the
problem, not a cure. Why don't you stop being a troll and we can let the
conversation continue?

The source of the troll is the OP not JR, and guess who the OP is in this
thread. None other than the nymshifting troll from Santa Clara County. He
provides nothing constructive, just his never ending anti-Apple posts. I for
one have decided to not respond to him, particularly given the toxicity, and
of his posts to the Apple NGs.

Recently I have responded to one of his posts to r.p.d. which appeared to be
benign, and where he had used yet another nymshift. I did not believe that
particular post was a troll, but one which sought an answer to a legitimate
question.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

In article , rickman
wrote:

Multiple regulars in these news groups call him out on his lame-ass
trolls. But little, old *you* have decided to step in and support the
troll. Good work, there, junior!

No, I'm just calling it like I see it. You jumped into a reasonable
conversation

there is no reasonable conversation with 'harry' or whatever other nym
he's using.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-03, rickman wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote on 1/3/2018 6:15 PM:

Multiple regulars in these news groups call him out on his lame-ass
trolls. But little, old *you* have decided to step in and support the
troll. Good work, there, junior!

No, I'm just calling it like I see it. You jumped into a reasonable
conversation

On the contrary, your vaunted so-called "reasonable discussion" is part
of a campaign of pure troll posts about iOS throttling functionality
that was initially cross-posted to irrelevant newsgroups
(sci.electronics.repair, and android) by a well-known nym-shifting
Apple-hating troll with a LONG track record in the Apple newsgroups of
attacking complete strangers merely because they call him out on his
lies. Either you are unaware of this, or you are actively ignoring it.
Either way, you're wrong.

making five (not four, my mistake) posts

Post counts for this thread (at the moment):

Harry: 16 (Under two different nyms, at that.)
Others: 15
Me: 4 (Oh my! This is a problem!)

complaining about troll behavior without indicating what was
"trollish"

Others have done a sufficient job of both debunking his lies and calling
out his trolls in this thread, but I guess they don't count for you. Or
do you not read anyone's posts but mine and "Harry's"?

Now you want to argue about your trollish behavior and call me names.

If "junior" offends you, I'm sorry but you're a snowflake. Grow a
thicker skin. It was meant to convey you are new to the Apple news
groups; and I have little doubt you are since I don't recall seeing your
posts here in many years. If you think "junior" is bad, you should see
what the troll currently known as "Harry" has to say about the regulars
in the Apple news groups that call him out on his lies. It'll no doubt
blow your fragile mind. ; )

You are currently the problem

Projection. Stop supporting established trolls.

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-03, wrote:

[...]

"...but no let's ignore all of that and instead concentrate on why the
regulars in the Apple newsgroups are *complaining* about his trolling.
Clearly *that* is the problem here!"

****ing idiot.

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-03, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 3, 2018, rickman wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I should too, and I often refrain, but sometimes he steps in such a huge
pile of his own ****, it's hard not to laugh.

Recently I have responded to one of his posts to r.p.d. which appeared
to be benign, and where he had used yet another nymshift. I did not
believe that particular post was a troll, but one which sought an
answer to a legitimate question.

He's *never* posted in the Apple newsgroups without a clear agenda
against the people in those newsgroups.

JR

On 2018-01-03, wrote:
On Jan 3, 2018, rickman wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Agreed.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rick:

Some people (you, for instance) need a clue-stick liberally applied before they *get* it. The likes of Jimmy Neutron are not common, but they are much like Kudzu or Crown Vetch - once rooted, very difficult to expunge, and highly destructive to native life. Accordingly, a certain amount of vigilance is necessary as there are always innocents out there ready to be victimized. The proper approach is to salt the earth around him such that he cannot set those roots. There is no defending such - I suggest you look up the fable of the fox and the scorpion. It is Newton/Neutron's nature to be a troll, and nothing you can do will change that nature. Don't feed it, don't support or defend it, just burn the roots, salt the earth, and move on. And if you cannot do even that much, stay the hell out of the way of those *with* the flame-throwers and salt-spreaders.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Savageduck wrote on 1/3/2018 6:43 PM:
On Jan 3, 2018, rickman wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I don't know about toxicity, but the best way to handle trolls is to ignore
them. I will be ignoring Roger.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rick:

Yet another application of the Clue Stick is required.

Ignoring known trolls works for those who know of and understand the troll. But that emphatically does not work when the troll attempts to root in fresh ground. And, there is always fresh ground. Glad that you will be ignoring things - that will let those who are willing to warn the unwary get on with it, without the likes of you attempting to validate the troll.

Are you on the spectrum?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-03, harry wrote:
[...]

This isn't my first rodeo. I've seen a number of ham groups destroyed by
this sort of behavior. One person is accused of being a troll, but they
aren't really a problem. They make their posts and people either read them
or ignore them. The problem arises when vigilantes try to "deal" with the
problem by turning the topic from the original to being about the accused
troll. Instead of solving anything, they make the problem 10 times worse.

That is what's going on here. I was reading the thread and considering the
issues in the discussion until someone threw a turd in the punch bowl. The
presence of the "enforcers" is more disruptive than the original thread. It
should be very easy to killfile the offender and/or the entire thread.

Oh, but then someone on the Internet would be wrong without knowing it!

https://xkcd.com/386/

I've killfiled JR, we'll see if the problem improves.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 14:46:48 -0500, rickman
wrote:

[...]

First, there has never been a reasonable conversation with the person
to whom Roger was responding He really is an inveterate troll with
nothing to add to this newsgroup. I have kill filed every nym that he
uses that's identifiable and will continue.

We each have a decision to make regarding trolls. In this case JR has
decided to point out the troll. That is effective in warning other
posters.

You will be missing some interesting and edifying posts if you ignore
Roger.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/4/18 1:57 PM, rickman wrote:
I've killfiled JR, we'll see if the problem improves.

It won't until you killfile harry newton.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 3:39:21 PM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/4/18 1:57 PM, rickman wrote:
I've killfiled JR, we'll see if the problem improves.

It won't until you killfile harry newton.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com

Until it changes its name.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-03, harry wrote:
[...]

Harry has consistently and methodically disrupted the Apple news groups
with campaigns consisting of sometimes tens of separate threads at a
time, often with multiple nyms at a time, and more often than not
cross-posted to completely irrelevant groups, and you pop your head in
to claim they aren't a ****ing problem. What ****ing planet are you on
that trolls of the worst kind aren't really a ****ing problem?

They make their posts and people either read them or ignore them.

You're definitely not from around here, boy. This particular troll has
polluted these otherwise peaceful Apple newsgroups on a regular basis
with hundreds of posts under numerous and never-ending names to avoid
kill filters filled with misinformation and antagonizing and attacking
anyone who dare disagree or call him out on his bare-faced lies. And
they aren't just harmful little interactions that people can just
ignore, especially considering he *regularly* nym switches to avoid
filtering.

The problem arises when vigilantes try to "deal" with the problem by
turning the topic from the original to being about the accused troll.

No, the problem already existed. Whenever (which is constantly) it
becomes plainly obvious that "Harry" actively *ignores* and *disputes*
anything anyone says about the topic at hand that disagrees with his
lies, and attacks them instead, people *naturally* start examining his
character. His stubborn refusal to accept anything but his anti-Apple
position on a topic *forces* others to look at his personality faults as
an explanation for what might cause a person his age to literally spend
hours upon hours *daily* writing long, rambling, laborious posts where
he antagonizes and belittles complete strangers simply because he
dislikes Apple and people who use Apple devices.

Instead of solving anything, they make the problem 10 times worse.

Projection. Victim blaming makes the problem ten times worse.

That is what's going on here.

You're ignorant of the actual situation, and deluded.

I've killfiled JR, we'll see if the problem improves.

LOL! Enjoy "Harry's" trolls, idiot.

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

JR has gone *far* beyond pointing out a troll. He has gone so far beyond
that he has become the troll. To point out that you think someone is a
troll only takes a single post of a few lines. His less annoying posts were
the uneducating, "So few facts, so much time. Life's hard for an old troll!"
and "Get some new material, old foolish troll." When I point out his
excessive complaining he only comes back with much more annoying posts.
These are not intended to be educational to anyone. These are the rantings
of someone who feels he is on a mission, a very misguided mission.

Just as bad are the many posts attempting to justify his behavior.

You will be missing some interesting and edifying posts if you ignore
Roger.

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts. But you have to
consider the noise level they bring as well. In this thread all but one
post was noise. That's an unacceptable level.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

In article , rickman
wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Fox's Mercantile wrote on 1/4/2018 3:39 PM:
On 1/4/18 1:57 PM, rickman wrote:
I've killfiled JR, we'll see if the problem improves.

It won't until you killfile harry newton.

Unlike you, I was learning something about the topic issue until I was
sidetracked by the multiple troll accusation posts. In this thread Harry's
posts are on topic at least.

How about we just don't respond to the posts we don't like? I don't see any
value in discussing this further, so I won't be replying to posts about the
trolling going on and in particular to posts containing personal insults.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

nospam wrote on 1/4/2018 5:05 PM:
In article , rickman
wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me. I guess that shows he
isn't trolling.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

nospam wrote on 1/3/2018 8:38 AM:
In article , harry newton
wrote:

but remember
this is an Apple-only problem

nope. it's a battery chemistry issue which affects android and any
other device that uses a battery.

there is *no* avoiding it. *every* battery ages.

Yes, but it doesn't have to impact the operation of the product in the first
year. A well designed product would be sized to continue to operate as the
battery ages. I've had laptop batteries that worked nearly as well as new
for two or three years. Do you not understand the issue? Apple would seem
to have either not given this attention in the design stage (indicating
incompetence) or they made a conscious decision to allow battery
deterioration to impact the operation of the phone in the first year of
operation (with potential warranty issues).

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/4/18 1:57 PM, rickman wrote:

I've killfiled JR, we'll see if the problem improves.

It won't until you killfile harry newton.

Unlike you, I was learning something about the topic issue until I was
In this thread

The extent of Harry's trolling of the Apple news groups extends far
beyond this thread, junior. You're clueless.

How about we just don't respond to the posts we don't like?

Ah, is that what you did with my posts?

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me.

No, they were filled with lies, like:

"Apple basically admitted today they permanently chopped CPU speeds in
half"

The CPU speed isn't only cut in half, but on a curve, and it's not
permanent but only when the device is doing something that specifically
requires more current than the battery can supply, and only on devices
with batteries that are on the way out.

And:

"they were trying to secretly mask defective batteries"

No evidence of that, and the feature in question was specifically
mentioned in the iOS release notes - hardly a secret.

I guess that shows he isn't trolling.

No, it doesn't. You, on the other hand, are in very shady territory and
company.

JR
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 5:17:15 PM UTC-5, rickman wrote:
nospam wrote on 1/3/2018 8:38 AM:

Yes, but it doesn't have to impact the operation of the product in the first
year. A well designed product would be sized to continue to operate as the
battery ages. I've had laptop batteries that worked nearly as well as new
for two or three years. Do you not understand the issue? Apple would seem
to have either not given this attention in the design stage (indicating
incompetence) or they made a conscious decision to allow battery
deterioration to impact the operation of the phone in the first year of
operation (with potential warranty issues).

Rick C

Dayum, but you know next-to-nothing about battery chemistry and/or the aging process. Knowing now that you are likely unencumbered by the thought process (insult) and likely on the Spectrum (not an insult, but a reach for an explanation for your apparent-deliberate ignorance), batteries age. They age in two ways:
a) Not able to deliver the necessary amperage at a given voltage for as long as before.
b) Not able to deliver sufficient voltage as before. Subset: voltage is OK, but the amperage is not.

This is true of every kind of chemical battery from a liquid lead-acid battery used for backing up POTS systems to a Tesla battery.

I keep radio-control submarines. On them, I have a device that reads the state of the battery, and if it goes critical, immediately surfaces the boat, and will not permit diving. I can determine the age of the battery by when that happens on a run.

Again, this is a chemical issue true of every kind of chemical battery over time. Cell phones make heavy demands on batteries depending on what they are asked to do. Some simply cannot meet that demand with an old battery, and so 'limit' the phone much as the "Sub-Safe" device does. That Apple explained this badly is the issue. Not what happened.

Getting back to Jimmy Neutron - he offered a Conspiracy-Based explanation for an obvious phenomenon in order to light off his personal tempest in his virtual teapot. It was neither thoughtful, nor offered as a basis for actual discussion.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

In article , rickman
wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me.

how so?

nothing he's written has any basis in fact (despite his claims
otherwise).

he is regularly proven wrong. he claims things can't be done on ios or
macs even though it's been explained to him *exactly* how to do it. he
snips to alter context to avoid admitting he's full of ****.

I guess that shows he
isn't trolling.

nope.

what it shows is that you'll believe anything without verifying it.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Jolly Roger
wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me.

No, they were filled with lies, like:

"Apple basically admitted today they permanently chopped CPU speeds in
half"

The CPU speed isn't only cut in half, but on a curve, and it's not
permanent but only when the device is doing something that specifically
requires more current than the battery can supply, and only on devices
with batteries that are on the way out.

yep.

put simply, the peaks are clipped.

for everyday tasks that don't push it hard, such as reading email or
web surfing, there is no slowdown.

And:

"they were trying to secretly mask defective batteries"

No evidence of that, and the feature in question was specifically
mentioned in the iOS release notes - hardly a secret.

they were actually trying to *extend* the life of batteries.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

In article , rickman
wrote:

but remember
this is an Apple-only problem

nope. it's a battery chemistry issue which affects android and any
other device that uses a battery.

there is *no* avoiding it. *every* battery ages.

Yes, but it doesn't have to impact the operation of the product in the first
year.

it doesn't. it's not based on how old it is.

it depends on the battery health and the specific power demands at the
time.

A well designed product would be sized to continue to operate as the
battery ages.

exactly what it does.

I've had laptop batteries that worked nearly as well as new
for two or three years.

'nearly as well' means there's a noticeable effect.

laptop batteries also have a *much* higher capacity than what's in a
phone and capable of much higher peaks.

they are also powering a different processor with different power
demands in a product with a different thermal profile along with
numerous other differences.

in other words, not a good comparison.

Do you not understand the issue?

far more than you do.

Apple would seem
to have either not given this attention in the design stage (indicating
incompetence) or they made a conscious decision to allow battery
deterioration to impact the operation of the phone in the first year of
operation (with potential warranty issues).

both false.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

By your definition you have become a troll. IOW why don't take your
own advice and not respond as you have several times. JR has less
posts about this than you now.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

but remember this is an Apple-only problem

nope. it's a battery chemistry issue which affects android and any
other device that uses a battery.

there is *no* avoiding it. *every* battery ages.

Yes, but it doesn't have to impact the operation of the product in the
first year.

Where's the evidence that all (or even the majority) of iPhones are
impacted in the first year? Answer: it doesn't exist because it's
bull**** hyperbole.

A well designed product would be sized to continue to operate as the
battery ages.

Apple devices *do* continue to operate as the battery ages. I've got an
eight year old iPad 1st generation sitting right here beside me that's
working just fine on the original battery. And the feature in question
actually extends the *runtime* of devices with dying batteries rather
than putting so much load on them they fail outright and shut down the
device. Personally, eeking out every little bit of runtime possible
happens to be precisely what I *expect* from the OS that runs on my
devices. Is that something that sets Apple users apart from the rest of
the herd?

I've had laptop batteries that worked nearly as well as new for two or
three years.

Just two or three? I'm posting this on a six year old MacBook Pro with
the original battery (486 cycles and counting and 88% healthy) without
any issues. I have an iPhone 3GS that still works on the original
battery. I have a 2010 iPhone 4 in the car as a dedicated dashcam that
still runs great too.

Do you not understand the issue?

Do you?

Apple would seem to have either not given this attention in the design
stage (indicating incompetence)

Nonsense. Apple's customers have good experiences, which is why Apple
tops customer satisfaction and rakes in the profits. Real-world use
trumps some blogger with a slant any day.

or they made a conscious decision to allow battery deterioration to
impact the operation of the phone in the first year of operation (with
potential warranty issues).

Anecdotes and hyperbole don't equate to pandemics. This entire "issue"
is a big, overblown bucket of bull**** from people who don't understand
the engineering involved. And a few months from now it'll be forgotten
and replaced with the next new "scandal".

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me. I guess that shows he
isn't trolling.

No, it shows that you aren't knowledgeable enough to see his idiocy.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 2018-01-04, nospam wrote:
In article , Jolly Roger
wrote:

It is not unusual for trolls to make worthwhile posts.

actually, it's extremely unusual.

trolls post for a reaction, not for content.

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me.

No, they were filled with lies, like:

"Apple basically admitted today they permanently chopped CPU speeds in
half"

The CPU speed isn't only cut in half, but on a curve, and it's not
permanent but only when the device is doing something that specifically
requires more current than the battery can supply, and only on devices
with batteries that are on the way out.

yep.

put simply, the peaks are clipped.

Exactly, and the benefit is a device with longer runtime towards the end
of its battery life. I'll take it.

for everyday tasks that don't push it hard, such as reading email or
web surfing, there is no slowdown.

Yup. But details like that don't fit the troll narrative.

And:

"they were trying to secretly mask defective batteries"

No evidence of that, and the feature in question was specifically
mentioned in the iOS release notes - hardly a secret.

they were actually trying to *extend* the life of batteries.

Yes.

JR

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.android, sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 4, 2018, rickman wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-03, harry wrote:
[...]

The problem will continue, because the actual news group spoiling, anti-Apple
agenda holding troll, is the nymshifting OP. He taunts with his provocative
bait knowing that he will precipitate the thread into a flamewar. Many of the
usual participants, such as JR, Lewis, nospam, and others seem to be unable
to resist to temptation to engage with him. I for one will not entertain
playing into the trollish flamewar trap he sets in the Apple NGs and cross
pollinates to other groups which have no interest in things Apple.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

He who is rickman said on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 17:17:11 -0500:

this is an Apple-only problem

nope. it's a battery chemistry issue which affects android and any
other device that uses a battery.

there is *no* avoiding it. *every* battery ages.

Yes, but it doesn't have to impact the operation of the product in the first
year.

This is the key point, rickman, where you and almost all the logical people
who bought iPhones (and even logical people who didn't buy them) would have
presumed that the CPU speed of a phone would be the same on day 1 when the
reviews come out as it would be on day 366 after a year of ownership.

Nobody (but Apple & the Apple Apologists) has even tried to defend the
secret, permanent, and drastic halving of the CPU speeds as being
"beneficial" for "prolonging the life" of the phone.

I can understand why Apple says that (they have a dozen lawsuits to not
give any ammunition to), but it's harder to understand the logic of the
defense that we should have known all along that Apple would halve the
speeds based on what Apple said it put in the iOS 10.2.1 release (and 11.2
for the iPhone 7).

"iOS 10.2.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your
iPhone or iPad. It also improves power management during peak
workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone."
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?locale=en_US

Affected phones we
iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE.
https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

A well designed product would be sized to continue to operate as the
battery ages. I've had laptop batteries that worked nearly as well as new
for two or three years. Do you not understand the issue?

Bear in mind that it is a fact that I am the one who first broke the news
to the Apple newsgroups of the problem, and who first broke the news of
Apple's apology about the problem - so I am vehemently hated by the Apple
Apologists (nospam, Jolly Roger, Savageduck, Snit, BKonRamp, etc.).

You have to understand that on the affected iOS newsgroups, there is a set
of bona-fide lifer Apple Apologists who hate any fact that is truthful but
not what they like to hear.

So they will *destroy* any thread that contains facts that they don't like,
using a variety of techniques, some of which you've seen here, all combined
with guile and vitriol and ill logic, where, in the end, they always
attempt to destroy truthful facts like any competent cancer would.

You have Jolly Roger exclaiming today that an Apple battery is as easy to
replace as a "user replaceable" battery for example, which is just patently
ridiculous - and yet - he makes that claim with a straight face. Worse,
Jolly Roger consistently fabricates content that never occurred, just so
that he can appear witty (to himself?) by responding to that completely
fabricated content!

Why does Jolly Roger habitually fabricate quoted content?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/FJ0ScwZ9sLE/d40Bp9jKDQAJ

You have nospam insisting that Apple duly informed its users with that
cryptic 10.2.1 release-note blurb, and you have Savageduck trying to skirt
facts with semantic outliers such as iOS-based non-Apple cameras, and you
have who consistently high-fives other people's posts but has
never once (ever!) added technical value to any thread in his entire life!

All of these ill-logical people resort to complete and utter fabrications
of non-existing functionality, whenever confronted with patently
unassailable facts - that they don't like.

Why do iOS apologists incessantly fabricate fictional iOS functionality?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/vcq3ESStmlc/bjhf9Z5vBAAJ

That's the kind of people you're currently dealing with.

Apple would seem
to have either not given this attention in the design stage (indicating
incompetence) or they made a conscious decision to allow battery
deterioration to impact the operation of the phone in the first year of
operation (with potential warranty issues).

It seems from all the evidence (quoted elsewhere already), that Apple
didn't test the product thoroughly enough (they admitted as much that they
were blindsided by the initial shutdowns) and then, after the second series
of reports came in, Apple finally realized what happened.

The "fix" is clear - which they already apologized for not communicating
(but only because they got caught so they had to apologize).

The fact is that they implemented a secret solution that is permanent and
drastic (cutting CPU speeds to less than half after only one year of use).

The conjecture is "WHY" they did that.

I posit, with logical thought, that they realized how BIG of a problem this
design flaw is, and they realized they didn't have ANY options to fix it in
software that were palatable to the customer.

They certainly *could* have implemented a recall, where they provided the
customer with a better design - but they took the easy way out - which was
to secretly mask the design flaw.

This is all well described already in valid factual references I've
supplied in each of my posts, so I will let you decide who is a troll on
this newsgroup, and who is providing valid referenced facts.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3245048/mobile-wireless/apple-makes-its-intent-on-the-battery-fiasco-clear-and-not-in-the-way-it-wanted.html
Title:
"Apple makes its intent on the battery fiasco clear.
And not in the way it wanted."
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

He who is rickman said on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 17:09:25 -0500:

And yet Harry's posts have been informative for me. I guess that shows he
isn't trolling.

You have to understand, rickman, that the Apple Apologists *hate* me, with
a vengeance, because I speak facts that they don't like.

I call out Jolly Roger on his trolls (if you run a search for the
combination of Jolly Roger and troll on the iOS newsgroups, he comes up on
top, by far, since he calls every fact he doesn't like, a troll).
http://tinyurl.com/misc-phone-mobile-iphone

BTW, I always *add* value to a newsgroup, so who do you think *created*
those tinyurls in the first place? I did.

For example:
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
http://tinyurl.com/sci-electgronics-repair

Why did I create them?

For the good of all, as I've been on Usenet for decades, being an old
octogenarian (where you'll note Jolly Roger always tries to insult me for
simply being old).

What the Apple Apologists you're dealing with absolutely hate, are facts
that they don't like so they attempt to defame and destroy the bearer of
those valid verified facts.

For example, this is my thread on the iOS newsgroups which *broke* the news
to them that Apple was caught secretly throttling CPU speeds.
Report says Apple 'Powerd' code secretly slows your iOS device down to
trick you into buying a new device
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/GdEtzzrc9F0%5B1-25%5D

When you skim that thread, you'll instantly see how the Apple Apologists
react to truthful facts and how the others on the iOS newsgroup who are not
Apple Apologists, react.

They are two completely different mentalities (which you're noticing).
a. Adults who can converse using logic and facts, and,
b. Apple Apologists (e.g., nospam, Savageduck, Jolly Roger, BKonRamp, etc.)
who can, but don't.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

He who is harry newton said on Fri, 5 Jan 2018 00:08:08 +0000 (UTC):

BTW, I always *add* value to a newsgroup, so who do you think *created*
those tinyurls in the first place? I did.

For example:
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
http://tinyurl.com/sci-electgronics-repair

Why did I create them?

For the good of all, as I've been on Usenet for decades, being an old
octogenarian (where you'll note Jolly Roger always tries to insult me for
simply being old).

OOoooops. Typo.

Here are the URLs I created for the good of all, so that *facts* can be
researched easily and so that the immense effort most of us put into adding
value to Usenet can be harvested to the benefit of others.

http://tinyurl.com/sci-electronics-repair
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-ipad
http://tinyurl.com/misc-phone-mobile-iphone
http://tinyurl.com/comp-sys-mac-system
http://tinyurl.com/comp-sys-mac-apps
http://tinyurl.com/alt-os-linux
etc.

Note: When Google took over dejanews, and when TinyUrl came out years ago,
I added the Windows newsgroups - but Google consistently breaks them over
the years, so I eventually gave up adding Windows newsgroups for tinyurl
convenience.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

He who is Jolly Roger said on 4 Jan 2018 22:23:50 GMT:

The CPU speed isn't only cut in half, but on a curve, and it's not
permanent

This is a good topic for adult logical discussion...

Title:
How to take advantage of Apple's $29 iPhone battery replacement program
right now
Quote:
"There is no way to toggle Apple's hidden throttling on or off
within the company's iOS software. Instead, the only way to disable
an iPhone slowdown is to install a new battery in your phone."

This was already referenced in the iOS newsgroups he
Title:
For anyone who still thinks the iPhone throttling isn't *permanent* - read this article