Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bad laser in the Bose?

I have an old Bose Wave Radio with the built in CD player. Model
AWRC-1P. It is starting to have trouble playing certain CDs. It will
search and search, you can hear the mechanism, and then, depending on
the CD, will play or not. Once it plays one CD it will usually play
others until it has been off for several hours. I have cleaned the
lens several times but it only seemed to work once, so I don't know if
it was a fluke. So I think the laser is failing and I should buy a new
one. The assmebly is about 40 bucks delivered so I don't wanna just
keep buying parts to see if they are the problem. The CD player has
hundreds of hours of time on it so it seems to me a failing laser is
probable. Opinions?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Most lasers are adjustable. Not sure where the pot(s) is(are) on a Bose device, but it will be there. Usually they are on the back of the device. I would state that probably 80% of lasers that are replaced could have been adjusted and been just fine.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 12:21:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an old Bose Wave Radio with the built in CD player. Model
AWRC-1P. It is starting to have trouble playing certain CDs. It will
search and search, you can hear the mechanism, and then, depending on
the CD, will play or not. Once it plays one CD it will usually play
others until it has been off for several hours. I have cleaned the
lens several times but it only seemed to work once, so I don't know if
it was a fluke. So I think the laser is failing and I should buy a new
one. The assmebly is about 40 bucks delivered so I don't wanna just
keep buying parts to see if they are the problem. The CD player has
hundreds of hours of time on it so it seems to me a failing laser is
probable. Opinions?
Thanks,
Eric

Look for any markings on the assembly. Some of the Bose units used Sony optics which are still available.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:40:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Most lasers are adjustable. Not sure where the pot(s) is(are) on a Bose device, but it will be there. Usually they are on the back of the device. I would state that probably 80% of lasers that are replaced could have been adjusted and been just fine.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!

How do I identify these pots and how do I determine which one(s) to
turn?
Eric

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Most lasers are adjustable. Not sure where the pot(s) is(are) on a Bose device, but it will be there. Usually they are on the back of the device. I would state that probably 80% of lasers that are replaced could have been adjusted and been just fine.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!

How do I identify these pots and how do I determine which one(s) to
turn?
Eric

The pots that should be adjusted are on the board NOT the optics assembly. The optics have an adjustment for laser power that rarely resolves any problem. The should be focus and tracking adjustments on the board. You need to see a trace on a scope though to properly "align" the optics.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 1:46:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:

How do I identify these pots and how do I determine which one(s) to
turn?
Eric

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/k38n.gif

is one of many for Sanyo. But, once you are in there and identify the exact part number, google that.

Typically clockwise is "More" and counter-clockwise is "Less". As with many things, lasers dim with age.

Note that there is also a distance/focus adjust.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 2:03:18 PM UTC-5,
The pots that should be adjusted are on the board NOT the optics assembly.. The optics have an adjustment for laser power that rarely resolves any problem. The should be focus and tracking adjustments on the board. You need to see a trace on a scope though to properly "align" the optics.

Not gonna argue, as this also could be true. But with age comes dimming - I have a Revox B225 with an internal date-stamp of 1982. I have had to adjust the laser level (power) once in the last 20 years I have had it. Focus and tracking are fine.

Also, about 12 caps. Frakus, as usual, and grease the rails.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Frakus being a German brand of electrolytic capacitor with a rapidly increasing failure rate starting at around age 10.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 04:53:09 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Frakus being a German brand of electrolytic capacitor with a rapidly increasing failure rate starting at around age 10.

I Googled for "Frakus capacitors" and found nothing. Google refered
me to Frako capacitors at:
http://www.frako.com/en/products/power-capacitors/
which is a German company but which makes big power factor correction
capacitors for industrial applications that are unlikely to be found
inside a Bose Wave CD player. Are you sure about the "Frakus" name?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Frakus being a German brand of electrolytic capacitor with a rapidly
increasing failure rate starting at around age 10.

I Googled for "Frakus capacitors" and found nothing. Google refered
me to Frako capacitors at:
http://www.frako.com/en/products/power-capacitors/
which is a German company but which makes big power factor correction
capacitors for industrial applications that are unlikely to be found
inside a Bose Wave CD player. Are you sure about the "Frakus" name?

Google did the same with me.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."