Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Generic name for indexed "drive" system?

Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info
rather than motive force plus timing.
So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the
central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin
steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys
with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys,
same spacing, to engage with the holes ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 3:33:48 AM UTC-5, N_Cook wrote:
Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info
rather than motive force plus timing.
So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the
central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin
steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys
with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys,
same spacing, to engage with the holes ?

Stepper System? They can be with stepper motors, or cams and cogs, or microswitches and cogs.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/12/2017 08:33, N_Cook wrote:
Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info
rather than motive force plus timing.
So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the
central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin
steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys
with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys,
same spacing, to engage with the holes ?

These sort of things
http://www.morinex.com/metalbelts.htm
but no generic term found there
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

On 13/12/2017 08:33, N_Cook wrote:
Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info
rather than motive force plus timing.
So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the
central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin
steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys
with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys,
same spacing, to engage with the holes ?

At first, I thought you were looking for "Geneva mechanism". But, if you
are looking for the belt/chain drive, then the term would be something like
"timing belt" or "sprocket drive/belt".

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/12/2017 20:07, Jon Elson wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

On 13/12/2017 08:33, N_Cook wrote:
Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info
rather than motive force plus timing.
So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the
central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin
steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys
with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys,
same spacing, to engage with the holes ?

At first, I thought you were looking for "Geneva mechanism". But, if you
are looking for the belt/chain drive, then the term would be something like
"timing belt" or "sprocket drive/belt".

Jon

At one point in my past I had to show technical training 16mm films and
always wondered how they got that stop/start gate motion.
Luckily ,muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2
volume pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed
about 1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being
converted to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like
that, never seen them since.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2 volume
pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed about
1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being converted
to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like that,
never seen them since.

I doubt these are they, but they sound interesting all the same ...

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.1_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.2_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.3_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.4_Jones_1930.pdf
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 2:50:35 AM UTC-8, N_Cook wrote:

...muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2
volume pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed
about 1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being
converted to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like
that, never seen them since.

Maybe the Hiscox books?
https://archive.org/details/mechanicalmoveme00hiscrich

Mechanical Movements: Powers, Devices, and Appliances
Mechanical Appliances, Mechanical Movements, and Novelties
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 6:20:47 AM UTC-5, Andy Burns wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2 volume
pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed about
1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being converted
to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like that,
never seen them since.

I doubt these are they, but they sound interesting all the same ...

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.1_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.2_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.3_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.4_Jones_1930.pdf

Thanks for finding that. I've been looking for them for years, none of the local libraries could find them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2 volume
pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed about
1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being converted
to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like that,
never seen them since.

I doubt these are they, but they sound interesting all the same ...

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.1_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.2_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.3_Jones_1930.pdf

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/Ingenious_Mechanisms_Vol.4_Jones_1930.pdf

Thanks for finding that. I've been looking for them for years, none of the local libraries could find them.

The books I came across were more a mathematical rather than engineering
or applications treatment, and 2 volumes only, 1930 publication was not
impossible but I was left with an impression of being earlier.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Only known parameters so far is what seems to be called generically
"perforated tape" steel or bronze, 1.5 inches wide , thin enough strip
to comfortably curve around 12 inch diameter pulleys . Unknown is
whether round ball or square studs on the pulley matching round or
square line of central holes.
I'm assuming there is an optimum "sprocket" design spacing given these
other parameters, radius of curvature, torque/force transfer per ball ,
the hole spacing is the parameter we're after, but not found.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/12/2017 18:45, N_Cook wrote:
Only known parameters so far is what seems to be called generically
"perforated tape" steel or bronze, 1.5 inches wide , thin enough strip
to comfortably curve around 12 inch diameter pulleys . Unknown is
whether round ball or square studs on the pulley matching round or
square line of central holes.
I'm assuming there is an optimum "sprocket" design spacing given these
other parameters, radius of curvature, torque/force transfer per ball ,
the hole spacing is the parameter we're after, but not found.

In normal use only a few pounds of tension in the perforated tape, but
if the whole structure jammed , it and one sprocket pulley would have to
hold back 70 pounds of tension