Old February 8th 19, 11:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The Kikusui COS5060A is down :-(

On 2017/12/15 5:18 AM, bitrex wrote:
On 12/15/2017 07:47 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 1:42:36 PM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
On 12/12/2017 10:34 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 12:18:49 AM UTC-5, John Robertson
wrote:
On 2017/12/11 5:14 PM, bitrex wrote:

Failed in the middle of a measurement last night - no display, no
power
LED, a few red LEDs on the front panel come on intermittently at
power-up. The familiar burnt smell coming from the back, but no
smoke.
The enclosure felt a a bit hotter than usual immediately afterwards.

The incandescents on the graticule working fine though, and
they're fed
off the negative PSU rail, but the positive low-voltage supply is
definitely down for the count. I haven't had a chance to open it
up yet
but hoping it's an easy fix...

My Tek scopes don't seem to have that 'smoke' option...

I've seen more bad caps than anything else take out equipment - bring
out the ESR meter and do a good run through.

A very nice looking, West German made 220/16 cap in our German
Wurlitzer
jukeboxes seem to like shorting out (5VDC bus). Mind you it is on the
/Reset for the CPU, but I'm running into a lot of these axials that
are
just turning in zero ohm resistors (zealous?).

Likely something like that happened in your toy too. Tantalums love
shorting out for no real reason.

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Has that that new pinball game app. called 'Ballz' put you out of
business, yet? Imagine making a mechanical version of a pinball
game like that.

There's a "bar-cade" near me that has a couple dozen pinball games on
the floor, of various vintages. What's the deal with the newer games
that seem to use super-bright LEDs for every widget on the table? Like
the recent Star Trek game. I can't even play them, they're blinding,
can't see what I'm doing.

Most late-model massive multi online player games like that are good
for PC gaming because you can set the graphics and brightness
yourself. 480 pixels or even up to 1080 or even 1440 pixels with
late-model computers. High gig settings, too.

Huh? I'm talking about a pinball machine. A physical machine, you know,

Naaahh, not me. ‘Ballz’ is the name of a virtual pinball’ish game. It’s newer more improved version is out. It’s called ‘Break Bricks’.