DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/600830-gateway-1995-p5-power-supply-specs.html)

[email protected] November 27th 17 09:42 PM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

It's under another (KVM'd) computer and I don't really have the space to
leave it open a week, so I'm trying to guess how/if to replace the power supply.

(how)

Amazon sells a cheap one as Apevia ATX-VS450W Venus 450W ATX It seems the
specs are GATEWAY POW0016A01 145 WATT POWER SUPPLY P5-75 P5-120 ASTEC
SA145-3435 and that (I guess) my main issue is the bus. The cheapest exact
match I've found sells for five times the one on Amazon. Is there such a
thing as a "universal" power supply?

(if)

Now, what seems to be wrong? I hadn't touche dth emachine all summer. THen it
went on but couldn't find the hard drive. Evetually after about ten times it
did. It worked daily for about ten days. I didn't use it for about a month,
after which it refuses to turn on. So I'm GUESSING it's the power supply.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com

[email protected] November 27th 17 09:47 PM

On Monday, 27 November 2017 21:42:28 UTC, wrote:
It's under another (KVM'd) computer and I don't really have the space to
leave it open a week, so I'm trying to guess how/if to replace the power supply.

(how)

Amazon sells a cheap one as Apevia ATX-VS450W Venus 450W ATX It seems the
specs are GATEWAY POW0016A01 145 WATT POWER SUPPLY P5-75 P5-120 ASTEC
SA145-3435 and that (I guess) my main issue is the bus. The cheapest exact
match I've found sells for five times the one on Amazon. Is there such a
thing as a "universal" power supply?

(if)

Now, what seems to be wrong? I hadn't touche dth emachine all summer. THen it
went on but couldn't find the hard drive. Evetually after about ten times it
did. It worked daily for about ten days. I didn't use it for about a month,
after which it refuses to turn on. So I'm GUESSING it's the power supply.

probably bad caps in either PSU or on the mobo. A component tester could probably tell you their ESR.

NT

[email protected] November 28th 17 08:18 AM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

They are standardized but Gateway doesn't use a standard one usually.

I agree on the caps.

Companies like Gateway skimp on the power and make the power supply smaller.. Nothing else will fit. They will usually work but they would have to be outside the case. And some of them use the power supply fan to cool the microprocessor. That really stickies up the wicket.

The only thing you can't get usually is the transformer. But be careful if you have to replace the main chopper. Generally it will be a MOSFET and the ratings not really all that critical, but you need at least like a 700 volt part because they use a line doubler for 110 volts and simply turn it into a regular rectifier for 220 volt operation.

[email protected] December 2nd 17 06:58 PM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

Much obliged to all

- = -

[email protected] December 2nd 17 07:23 PM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

Quickest way to see if it is AT or ATX is that the AT type has a hard power switch, that is it actually turns off the AC going to the power supply. The ATX type has a soft power switch which connects to the motherboard.

[email protected] December 4th 17 05:06 AM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

Funny outcome:

mention of capacitors made me think,
"What if I leave it on a long time?"

Indeed, After like six hours, it turned on (the GW2k P5).

I'm using it now to dialup to unix
Now, I'm afraid to shut it off.

What cause dit to "die" in the first place
was I hadn't used it in a long while

- = -

whit3rd December 7th 17 05:28 PM

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:06:13 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Funny outcome:

mention of capacitors made me think,
"What if I leave it on a long time?"

Indeed, After like six hours, it turned on (the GW2k P5).

I'm using it now to dialup to unix
Now, I'm afraid to shut it off.

What cause dit to "die" in the first place
was I hadn't used it in a long while

Yes, one sees this a lot on the (Apple II type) early switchmode supplies.
The startup sequencing is critically dependent on some part of the (presumably)
capacitor impedance, and good but stale-on-the-shelf capacitors make
the startup fail. You just hear tick...tick...

I've tried replacing the big output filter capacitors (usual culprits for high-ESR
failure mode) with no success, it's presumably NOT those, but one of
the 'minor' parts. And, in at least three cases, let it tick overnight, and
the next morning it's working. Will work for years. Use and enjoy.

[email protected] December 8th 17 02:40 PM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

I don't want to jinx myself,
but it turns on every day since I left it on for
a few hours (and it finally revived) on Sunday.

- = -

Percival P. Cassidy December 8th 17 04:13 PM

On 11/27/2017 04:42 PM, wrote:
It's under another (KVM'd) computer and I don't really have the space to
leave it open a week, so I'm trying to guess how/if to replace the power supply.

(how)

Amazon sells a cheap one as Apevia ATX-VS450W Venus 450W ATX It seems the
specs are GATEWAY POW0016A01 145 WATT POWER SUPPLY P5-75 P5-120 ASTEC
SA145-3435 and that (I guess) my main issue is the bus. The cheapest exact
match I've found sells for five times the one on Amazon. Is there such a
thing as a "universal" power supply?

(if)

Now, what seems to be wrong? I hadn't touche dth emachine all summer. THen it
went on but couldn't find the hard drive. Evetually after about ten times it
did. It worked daily for about ten days. I didn't use it for about a month,
after which it refuses to turn on. So I'm GUESSING it's the power supply.

As with many other brands of off-the-shelf computers, the power supply
may be non-standard in many different ways, including a non-standard
physical format and non-standard wiring. Other parts may be non-standard
as well.

That's why I build my own computers from standard parts.

Perce

Ralph Mowery December 15th 17 10:38 PM

Gateway 1995 P5 power supply specs

In article ,
says...

It's under another (KVM'd) computer and I don't really have the space to
leave it open a week, so I'm trying to guess how/if to replace the power supply.

(how)

Amazon sells a cheap one as Apevia ATX-VS450W Venus 450W ATX It seems the
specs are GATEWAY POW0016A01 145 WATT POWER SUPPLY P5-75 P5-120 ASTEC
SA145-3435 and that (I guess) my main issue is the bus. The cheapest exact
match I've found sells for five times the one on Amazon. Is there such a
thing as a "universal" power supply?

(if)

Now, what seems to be wrong? I hadn't touche dth emachine all summer. THen it
went on but couldn't find the hard drive. Evetually after about ten times it
did. It worked daily for about ten days. I didn't use it for about a month,
after which it refuses to turn on. So I'm GUESSING it's the power supply.

A computer that old should be replaced with a used one off ebay unless
you need it to run some old programs. They can be had for about the
price of the power supply.

It may be the capacitors on the motherboard are bad. Look at them ,
especially around the processor. If they are not flat on top,but domed
shape, they are most likely bad. Sometimes if you can heat them up, it
will let the computer start up. Sure indication they are bad. lots of
computers around that time had a bad run of capacitors.