DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HT subwoofer vol stuck on high (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/600729-ht-subwoofer-vol-stuck-high.html)

[email protected] November 25th 17 04:58 PM

HT subwoofer vol stuck on high

Hi all

I have a home theater subwoofer that the volume is stuck on high and I can't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have checked the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will be welcomed!!!

Serge

[email protected] November 26th 17 12:18 AM

On Saturday, 25 November 2017 16:58:41 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I have a home theater subwoofer that the volume is stuck on high and I can't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have checked the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will be welcomed!!!

Serge

Sounds like the ground end of the pot has come disconnected. Most likely where it's soldered, or perhaps inside the pot.

NT

Jon Elson[_3_] November 27th 17 09:13 PM

wrote:

On Saturday, 25 November 2017 16:58:41 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I have a home theater subwoofer that the volume is stuck on high and I
can't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have
checked the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and
cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is
wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will
be welcomed!!!

Serge

Sounds like the ground end of the pot has come disconnected. Most likely
where it's soldered, or perhaps inside the pot.

Yes, very frequent problem, especially if the pot is not bolted to the case,
is that the resistance element has cracked. If that is the case, most
likely the pot will have to be replaced.

Jon

[email protected] November 27th 17 09:45 PM

On Monday, 27 November 2017 21:11:28 UTC, Jon Elson wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 25 November 2017 16:58:41 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I have a home theater subwoofer that the volume is stuck on high and I
can't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have
checked the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and
cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is
wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will
be welcomed!!!

Serge

Sounds like the ground end of the pot has come disconnected. Most likely
where it's soldered, or perhaps inside the pot.

Yes, very frequent problem, especially if the pot is not bolted to the case,
is that the resistance element has cracked. If that is the case, most
likely the pot will have to be replaced.

Jon

A basic multimeter should determine whether the pot is bad or disconnected.

NT

[email protected] December 2nd 17 09:52 PM

HT subwoofer vol stuck on high

On Saturday, 25 November 2017 16:58:41 UTC, wrote:
Hi all

I have a home theater subwoofer that the volume is stuck on high and I can't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have checked the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will be welcomed!!!

Serge

If you didn't manage to fix it so far, adding a resistor from pot centre tap to ground should sort it. Value = apx half the resistance of the pot.

NT