Junior Member

Default Can evaporative air cooler be the alternative to the air conditioner?

My air conditioner has broken again. Honestly, I fed up with it. I clean it regularly, but nevertheless, it has broken again at the third time... Can this small evaporative air cooler be the alternative to the air conditioner? Or is it too small and better to buy the new air conditioner?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:37:54 AM UTC-5, RickiRick wrote:

Can this small evaporative air cooler be the alternative to the air
conditioner? Or is it too small and better to buy the new air
conditioner?

Evaporative coolers, AKA Swamp Coolers, are best in very dry climates. As you are aware, they operate by taking advantage of the phase-change of water going from a liquid to a gas - which has the unfortunate result of greatly increasing the local humidity. Further to this, as the local humidity increases, the working efficiency of a swamp-cooler decreases.

So, depending on where you are and what you need to cool, that little device can be very effective (desert-dry conditions and using it as a cooling fan), or it can be a major source of mold and mildew (anywhere in temperate or tropical conditions, or used indoors. Its sole advantage is that it is far cheaper to operate and is far simpler than a conventional AC unit.

So, it depends. Here in south-central PA, a swamp-cooler would grow mold before my eyes. And we put tablets in our AC drain pans to prevent Legionnaires' disease.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What kind of failures ? Heat pumps get bad reversing valves, compressors get bad valves period. If it is not installed properly that happens alot more.. At best, before the system is filled, flushed and sealed it should be on a vacuum pump overnight.

If your problems are electrical that is much easier to deal with. Also, don't brush and disturb those evaporator and condenser coils. If they clog up you either need filters or something to keep the gunk out, but if you have to clean them use compressed air.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Peter, thank you a lot for the answer. Now I almost don't have doubt that I need this device. I think, I won't have problems with mold, because the air is very dry in my flat.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What kind of failures ? Heat pumps get bad reversing valves, compressors get bad valves period. If it is not installed properly that happens alot more.. At best, before the system is filled, flushed and sealed it should be on a vacuum pump overnight.

If your problems are electrical that is much easier to deal with. Also, don't brush and disturb those evaporator and condenser coils. If they clog up you either need filters or something to keep the gunk out, but if you have to clean them use compressed air.
The problem is with clogged ac condensate drain. I know, it happens. But by me ir happens incredibly often

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 3:17:49 AM UTC-5, RickiRick wrote:

The problem is with clogged ac condensate drain. I know, it happens. But
by me ir happens incredibly often

There are tablets for that. Clearly your maintenance program is sadly lacking.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Nu-Calgon...Au3YEA Lw_wcB

We use these or-equal in our window units, and I have our service people use them in the much larger units for our practices. Never had a condensate drain clog in the last 20+ years where these were in use - and regular service was/is done.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"The problem is with clogged ac condensate drain."

Sounds like a not so good install. Could also be an air leak betwen the filter and the intake.

And, these things are not easy to really clean, the one here I would have to take the whole plenum apart. It did leak a couple years ago but seems to be alright now.

Of course make sure you have a good pitch on that drainpipe as well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 08:17:49 UTC, RickiRick wrote:
;4011728 Wrote:

What kind of failures ? Heat pumps get bad reversing valves, compressors
get bad valves period. If it is not installed properly that happens alot
more.. At best, before the system is filled, flushed and sealed it
should be on a vacuum pump overnight.

If your problems are electrical that is much easier to deal with. Also,
don't brush and disturb those evaporator and condenser coils. If they
clog up you either need filters or something to keep the gunk out, but
if you have to clean them use compressed air.

The problem is with clogged ac condensate drain. I know, it happens. But
by me ir happens incredibly often

I've had that with fridges, and solved it by putting copper wire down
the drain tube & leaving it in place. It inhibits mould, and is easily
wiggled to clear any blockage.

You can even take out and put back-in the wire to clean it.