Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Name for a mechanism

A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise as the drive side turns relatively freely to
protect a motor etc and alerts a user to a problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 3:30:40 PM UTC-5, N_Cook wrote:
A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise as the drive side turns relatively freely to
protect a motor etc and alerts a user to a problem.

That's how a torque wrench works, but I don't know the name of the mechanism.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 12:30:40 PM UTC-8, N_Cook wrote:
A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise ...

In my imagination, I see a differential, with one output driving the load,
and the other driving a bell, but secured with a brake.

Or, a shaft coupling with a shear pin, which makes a fuss when it
breaks. Maybe a shear pin with a stinky mercaptan center?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:30:39 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise as the drive side turns relatively freely to
protect a motor etc and alerts a user to a problem.

"Ball detent overload release" is one name for this type of clutch.
Eric

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 4:12:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:

"Ball detent overload release" is one name for this type of clutch.
Eric

http://www.directindustry.com/indust...er-148825.html

AKA "Ball Torque Limiter".

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2017/11/20 12:30 PM, N_Cook wrote:
A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise as the drive side turns relatively freely to
protect a motor etc and alerts a user to a problem.

Depending on how much torque you are talking about the ICE bubble hockey
arcade games use a nylon slip clutch in their player gearboxes. This
releases if the men are jammed and makes a ratcheting sound. They do
wear out, but last years and they sell for around $15 for the entire
gearbox.

https://www.icegame.com/category/22/super-chexx#parts

number SC3012X

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 2:30:40 PM UTC-6, N_Cook wrote:
A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise as the drive side turns relatively freely to
protect a motor etc and alerts a user to a problem.

Over-running clutch?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We used to use this type of clutch in linear actuators in some of our machines, I think we may have called them torque clutches or ratcheting clutches.. The ratcheting noise proved unacceptable to customers. We developed circuitry to detect the stall current of the motor and controlled the actuator travel that way, rather than thru brute force timing.

dual height coffee table mechanism Chris Melluish UK diy 2 March 4th 04 11:16 AM
Folding door mechanism PoP UK diy 3 February 12th 04 07:21 PM
Nakamachi MB-1s Musicbank Multi CD Changr Load Mechanism Failure David Longley UK diy 2 January 14th 04 11:30 PM
internal door mechanism - what's it called? RichardS UK diy 2 October 31st 03 04:59 PM
Trouble fixing handle/closing mechanism on double glazed window John Biddiscombe UK diy 0 September 1st 03 07:05 PM