DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/600022-what-color-code-10-ohm-resistor.html)

[email protected] November 12th 17 08:47 AM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Rheilly Phoull[_3_] November 12th 17 08:59 AM

On 12/11/2017 4:47 PM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Have you heard of "milliohms" ??
Most folks express would express that as 0.1ohms or in milliohms.
So if you google "Resistor multipliers" you may very well come across
the colour code you seek.

Andy Bennet November 12th 17 09:24 AM

On 12/11/2017 08:47, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

By definition it is not a resistor, primarily because it has no resistance.

I suppose you could call it an ass-istor?

Michael A Terrell November 12th 17 10:56 AM

Rheilly Phoull wrote:
On 12/11/2017 4:47 PM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Have you heard of "milliohms" ??
Most folks express would express that as 0.1ohms or in milliohms.
So if you google "Resistor multipliers" you may very well come across
the colour code you seek.

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

John S[_4_] November 12th 17 01:44 PM

On 11/12/2017 2:47 AM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

It's the same as a +10 ohm resistor but you turn it around the other way.

lsmartino November 12th 17 02:49 PM

El domingo, 12 de noviembre de 2017, 4:49:53 (UTC-4), escribió:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Come on...

You can´t have a negative resistor. It´s physically impossible.

John-Del[_2_] November 12th 17 02:54 PM

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 9:49:40 AM UTC-5, lsmartino wrote:
El domingo, 12 de noviembre de 2017, 4:49:53 (UTC-4), escribió:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Come on...

You can´t have a negative resistor. It´s physically impossible.

Sure it is. I once knew a guy who could cook grits in 5 minutes: the laws of physics apparently ceasing to exist on his stove. And they weren't instant grits either. No self-respecting Southerner would use instant grits..

Mike_Duffy November 12th 17 03:23 PM

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 06:49:37 -0800 (PST), lsmartino wrote:

You can´t have a negative resistor. It´s physically impossible.

Like friction? Do you not remember that phone dials actually went *slower*
when you tried to speed up their return by pushing the dial anti-clockwise?

John S[_4_] November 12th 17 03:33 PM

On 11/12/2017 7:44 AM, John S wrote:
On 11/12/2017 2:47 AM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

It's the same as a +10 ohm resistor but you turn it around the other way.

Come to think of it, they may put the brown mark on the other end of the
resistor.

piglet November 12th 17 04:59 PM

On 12/11/2017 08:47, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Just buy one please and tell us all.

piglet

Mike Coon[_2_] November 12th 17 05:23 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

In article ,
says...

El domingo, 12 de noviembre de 2017, 4:49:53 (UTC-4), escribió:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Come on...

You can?t have a negative resistor. It?s physically impossible.

But you can. It was mentioned only a day or two ago in the thread on
neon indicator bulbs. It is incrementally negative, mind, not averaging
across the whole voltage space. And therefore called resistance rather
than resistor.

Also applies to the tunnel diodes I used to play with in the 1960s which
could be made to oscillate at GHz with hardly any other components.

Mike.

Michael A Terrell November 12th 17 07:42 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
says...

El domingo, 12 de noviembre de 2017, 4:49:53 (UTC-4), escribió:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Come on...

You can?t have a negative resistor. It?s physically impossible.

But you can. It was mentioned only a day or two ago in the thread on
neon indicator bulbs. It is incrementally negative, mind, not averaging
across the whole voltage space. And therefore called resistance rather
than resistor.

Also applies to the tunnel diodes I used to play with in the 1960s which
could be made to oscillate at GHz with hardly any other components.

He doesn't know the seceret handshake, so none of the cool things
aren't available to him.

John Robertson November 12th 17 09:24 PM

On 2017/11/12 12:47 AM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Isn't negative resistance a battery? After all one can measure the ESR
of batteries...

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

rickman November 12th 17 09:44 PM

John Robertson wrote on 11/12/2017 4:24 PM:
On 2017/11/12 12:47 AM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Isn't negative resistance a battery? After all one can measure the ESR of
batteries...

That's still a positive resistance just like a resistor you add to the
circuit. The only negative resistance I know of is in certain semiconductor
devices and only applies over a limited range of voltage and current.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

[email protected] November 12th 17 11:41 PM

On 2017/11/12 12:47 AM, wrote:
What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Isn't negative resistance a battery? After all one can measure the ESR of
batteries...

That's still a positive resistance just like a resistor you add to the
circuit. The only negative resistance I know of is in certain semiconductor
devices and only applies over a limited range of voltage and current.

That would only be a negative incremental resistance. A negative
resistor can't be a passive device. Power has to be added to get a
true negative resistance. Line amplifier are an example of negative
resistors.

[email protected] November 13th 17 01:19 AM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

Wholey (and entirely) SH*T!!

Negative Resistor:

One (any) resistor in parallel with any other resistor - the net is less than either. That, ladies and gentlemen, and children of all ages, would be a 'negative' resistor. Full stop.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Jeff Liebermann November 13th 17 07:06 AM

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 02:47:34 -0600, wrote:

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Are you perhaps thinking of reactance, which is some value multipled
by sqrt(-1)? Inductors and capacitors are normally not marked with
their reactance values because it varies with frequency.

Another possibility is that you have inserted the battery in your
ohms-guesser backwards, and are therefore producing negative
resistance readings. If not the battery, then perhaps the meter leads
have been reversed.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

John Larkin[_4_] November 13th 17 03:56 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 23:06:30 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 02:47:34 -0600, wrote:

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor.
That's a NEGATIVE 10 ohm resistor, not a standard (positive) 10 ohm
brown-black-black resistor. (Thats 10 ohms below zero ohms).

Are you perhaps thinking of reactance, which is some value multipled
by sqrt(-1)? Inductors and capacitors are normally not marked with
their reactance values because it varies with frequency.

Another possibility is that you have inserted the battery in your
ohms-guesser backwards, and are therefore producing negative
resistance readings. If not the battery, then perhaps the meter leads
have been reversed.

I built a -1K resistor once, as a school project. It was fun to play
with in various circuits. Voltage dividers with gain, positive
exponential time constants, things like that.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Jeff Liebermann November 14th 17 03:17 AM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:19:46 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Wholey (and entirely) SH*T!!

Methinks thou doth protest too much...

Negative Resistor:
One (any) resistor in parallel with any other resistor - the
net is less than either.

I beg to differ. The positive or negative sign refers to the V/I
(Volts divided by Amps) curve, which of an ordinary, normal, and
rather boring resistor is positive. However, various components and
circuits will produce a negative slope, and therefore a negative
resistance, usually over a small range of voltages and currents.
Putting two resistors in parallel produces a different V/I slope
value, but does not magically change the sign of the slope from
positive to negative.

That, ladies and gentlemen, and
children of all ages, would be a 'negative' resistor.

There are few ladies and no children that read this newsgroup. I
think it's safe to say that none of the active participants could be
considered gentlemen by any standard. Perhaps you could do better if
you address the audience of engineers, who might find it rather
disagreeable to be conglomerated with the ladies, children, and
gentlemen of leisure.

Full stop.

In California, we do a rolling stop.

[email protected] November 14th 17 04:10 AM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 19:17:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Full stop.

In California, we do a rolling stop.

Did you know that the fastest way to get pulled over by the police is to
spin donuts?

Thats because there is no cop on earth who isn't looking for donuts! :)

[email protected] November 14th 17 12:07 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

Ladies and Gentlemen and Children of all ages:

The call of the ringmaster at the beginning of any Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus. Now gone from the American scene.

if nothing else, there are aspects of the circus displayed herein.

You don't get out much, do you?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Jeff Liebermann November 14th 17 05:05 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 04:07:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen and Children of all ages:

Do I need to repeat myself? There are few ladies, no gentlemen of
leisure, and no children in the audience. Please address the audience
in a proper manner.

The call of the ringmaster at the beginning of any Ringling
Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus. Now gone from the American scene.

May 21 was their last show. Yeah, I miss the animal cruelty acts.

if nothing else, there are aspects of the circus displayed herein.

Such as? A circus is expected to be entertaining, which this
discussion seems to lack.

You don't get out much, do you?

Quite the contrary. My customers are complaining that I'm never in my
office. If anything, I'm out most of the time.

Now, back to something resembling electronics... what makes you claim
that connecting 2 resistors in parallel somehow produces negative
resistance?

[email protected] November 14th 17 05:51 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

Jeff:

You need a humor transplant. Either that, or your sense of humor is more seared than arid.

Two resistors in parallel deliver resistance less than either. Last I looked, resistors 'produce' little - other than perhaps a bit of inductance if a wire-wound device. Given the level of education with the OP, that is as close to negative resistance as he will be likely to achieve or understand.

Animal Cruelty Acts. Yes, certainly. The circus, along with dwarf-throwing, bear baiting, dove-shoots, buffalo hunts and much, much more represent cruel times in American History. However, today that cruelty has been largely been confined to human-on-human, and most of us are dead quiet about all that. Cute, fuzzy little animals, noble lions, tigers, elephants and whales are very safe causes with few objecting to them - but for certain "japs" and other "slopes", or little brown "gooks" somewhere or other. But not our neighbors, friends and allies. Gotta look at them with half-closed eyes (Duterte, Putin, Li, Salman), but that's all right. As long as the goods, oil, cheap wood and other 'stuff' keeps coming.

But we all sit back and cry crocodile tears about very real and very preventable human tragedies and do nothing or much worse. All for the sake of comfort. As a country and a culture, we are going through troubled times. We are about to lose, if it is not lost already, our primacy as a moral compass for the world, and we are about to cede that position to China of all possibilities. Does that not scare the living **** out of you?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

[email protected] November 14th 17 06:59 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 05:56:47 -0500, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

[email protected] November 14th 17 07:13 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

Negative resistance does exist.

Negative resistors do not exist.

John-Del[_2_] November 14th 17 08:16 PM

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 12:51:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The circus, along with dwarf-throwing.....

Peter, we're living in a more enlightened society these days, and while dwarf might be technically accurate, I believe the correct description is "vertically retarded".

Thank you...

Does that not scare the living **** out of you?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Well, I've lived long enough for you to say "****" on an NG. Bravo my friend, bravo...

Giving this more thought, do you think our friend Jeffrey A is having a negative influence on us?

[email protected] November 14th 17 08:50 PM

What is the color code for a -10 ohm resistor

I have met Jeff on his turf (Ranger, TX). Best described as a curmudgeon that does not suffer fools gladly - and one who has lived enough of life to have earned the privilege of writing what he means - and meaning what he writes. I was in Texas on business, I had a free evening. It was only 94 miles from where I was to Ranger. In Texas, that is errand distance.

Me using the S word was chosen for shock-value, true. We are well-and-truly in dire straits - and without intervention from more enlightened minds, the United States will be seriously degraded, more so than now, certainly. We are averaging over two serious incidents per month, now. And the perpetrators somehow feel entitled to commit them. Worse, their behavior is defended all-to-often. When the swamp overflows in the Nation's Capitol, all the slime in the hinterlands feels entitled to come out and play.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

[email protected] November 14th 17 08:56 PM

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 3:16:55 PM UTC-5, John-Del wrote:
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 12:51:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The circus, along with dwarf-throwing.....

Peter, we're living in a more enlightened society these days, and while dwarf might be technically accurate, I believe the correct description is "vertically retarded".

Then there is the story of A****er Kent putting a help-wanted ad in in the local papers in Philadelphia:

Wanted: Midgets as Coil Winders. Male and Female. Apply in person at A****er Kent, 6240 Wissahickon Avenue, Philadelphia 44. No Dwarves need apply.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Foxs Mercantile November 14th 17 10:55 PM

On 11/14/2017 2:16 PM, John-Del wrote:
Giving this more thought, do you think our friend
Jeffrey A is having a negative influence on us?

Not hardly, in the words of George C Scott as the
Flim Flam Man, "You can't cheat an honest man, I'm
here to preach that gospel."

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Foxs Mercantile November 14th 17 10:57 PM

On 11/14/2017 2:50 PM, wrote:
I have met Jeff on his turf (Ranger, TX). Best
described as a curmudgeon that does not suffer
fools gladly -

I am surrounded by them.

and one who has lived enough of life to have
earned the privilege of writing what he means
- and meaning what he writes.

Thank you Peter.

Michael A Terrell November 15th 17 08:56 AM

wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an
ability to sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

rickman November 15th 17 02:58 PM

wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an ability to
sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

Must be rough looking in the mirror... I'm just sayin'

Michael A Terrell November 15th 17 04:17 PM

wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an
ability to
sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

Must be rough looking in the mirror... I'm just sayin'

No one cares about your ignorant blather, as well.

rickman November 15th 17 05:21 PM

wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an
ability to
sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

Must be rough looking in the mirror... I'm just sayin'

No one cares about your ignorant blather, as well.

Obviously you do or you wouldn't have replied... I'm just sayin'

Michael A Terrell November 17th 17 03:14 AM

wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an
ability to
sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

Must be rough looking in the mirror... I'm just sayin'

Then tell us what it's like.

rickman November 17th 17 08:39 AM

wrote:

Kill file the pathetic troll. He posts his bull**** messages on many
newsgroups.

While negative resistance does not exist, you have proven that it is
possible to have a negative sense of humor. That's negative ten on the
humor scale, or ten points below ZERO sense of humor!

The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an
ability to
sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

Must be rough looking in the mirror... I'm just sayin'

Then tell us what it's like.

So today you've decided you *do* care about my ignorant blather?

lol

Jasen Betts[_2_] November 17th 17 09:30 AM

On 2017-11-17, rickman wrote:
The only thing that you've proved is that I no longer have an
ability to
sufferer fools of any kind, in yet another newsgroup.

Must be rough looking in the mirror... I'm just sayin'

Then tell us what it's like.

So today you've decided you *do* care about my ignorant blather?

Nah, he's either demonstrating that he's a nobody, or that your post
was not ignorant blather.