Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HEATHKIT 10MHz Oscilloscope overheating problem.

On Monday, May 29, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Matt wrote:
Hello,

I have two Heathkit 10MHz scopes and they both have failed at the same
spot. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

The problem is on the left vertica

On Monday, May 29, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Matt wrote:
Hello,

I have two Heathkit 10MHz scopes and they both have failed at the same
spot. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

The problem is on the left vertical board and its down on the lower left
side of the board (when you look at the component side of the board). The
10 Ohm resistor gets really hot, and eventually burns up. The display is
majorly out of wack (for lack of a better term). Most controls have no
effect, but it is displaying something.

The model number for the scopes is: IO-4550.

Thanks to anyone that is willing to help me out. If you need more info
I have it. Thanks

- Matt Rizzo
Oakland University
School of Engineering and Computer Science (SECS)

Hi,

I have the same scope, I put it a way working years ago and just turned it on today and it smoked. There is a burnt 10uf cap and 10ohm resistor on the vertical board in the minus 15 volt circuit. I believe the burnt components on my scope are C123 and R163-1, the cap is shorted. I will eventually try to replace the resistor and cap.

D. marino
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/15/2017 09:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

You're responding to a post made over 17 years ago.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:24:41 -0400, bitrex
wrote:

shorted. I will eventually try to replace the resistor and cap.

D. marino

You're responding to a post made over 17 years ago.

Holy crap Batman..........
17 years ago, they hadn't even invented the electron yet!