Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What does "blown spearker" mean?

I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown". I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

But does it also refer to a torn surround?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 9:19:37 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown". I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

But does it also refer to a torn surround?

Typically a "blown" speaker can mean that either the voice coil is open or that the surround is torn which will result in distorted sound. Either can be fixed, it is just a matter of how much the cost will be. If the surround is torn, it can be easily replaced. While the coil can also be replaced, it is a much more involved task that requires some finesse. These days, consumer speakers found in cars are usually replaced rather than repaired as that option is cheaper.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown".

** Blown = destroyed.

I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

But does it also refer to a torn surround?

** There are many way a speaker can be damaged and rendered useless.

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/sp...ailure.html#s5

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 9:19:37 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown". I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

But does it also refer to a torn surround?

Any kind of failure falls under the description of "blown".

Open, intermittent, shorted, or melted/shifted voice coil or weak or damaged surrounds all fit that description.

"Blown" has become a catch-all for *any* kind of failure, even medical: "I blew my back out swing a bat. I won't be able to play for several days"..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:07:01 -0700 (PDT),
John-Del wrote:

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 9:19:37 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown". I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

But does it also refer to a torn surround?

Any kind of failure falls under the description of "blown".

Open, intermittent, shorted, or melted/shifted voice coil or weak or damaged surrounds all fit that description.

"Blown" has become a catch-all for *any* kind of failure, even medical: "I blew my back out swing a bat. I won't be able to play for several days"..

Thanks, you, dan, and phil. I guess I have to update my view of the
word.

I can't remember if I got back to you about this:

Toyota Solara convertible, when they were still made, used a woofer
behind the front seat. The paper surround had fallen apart and after
discussing it here, I replaced it with one from SimplySpeakers. It was
very easy. Their instructions don't require centering the cone, except
iirc by pushing it down and up, or up and down, once.

And the glue they provided was very good. Like Duco Cement from the
60's but better.

So the speaker goes in and works fine, but now there is too much bass. I
turned down the bass, but I could still hear it even during talk shows
like Terry Gross and the news. Other things broke and I got a new car
but I think the reason mine had had one of the voice coil wires cut was
to cut down the bass, and when that wasn't enough they unplugged the
whole thing. I repaired the cut wire and now I sort of regret that!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 19 Sep 2017 23:23:20 -0400, micky
wrote:

Toyota Solara convertible, when they were still made, used a woofer
behind the front seat.

I mean behind the rear seat. I didn't even know it was there until I
took the seat back out for some other reason.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:19:29 -0400, micky
wrote:

I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown". I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

Please check that it didn't say "blown away" which is something quite
different.

But does it also refer to a torn surround?

Torn surround, surroundings, or both?
http://main.iosmars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/image1.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 02:19:37 UTC+1, micky wrote:
I've been reading about a car like mine and the owner says that the rear
subwoofer is "blown". I always took that to refer to an electrical
open. Does that ever happen?

But does it also refer to a torn surround?

Melted o/c voice coil is the usual outcome of gross overload.

NT