DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Make a handheld Vacuum Cleaner an Anti-Static tool? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/596742-make-handheld-vacuum-cleaner-anti-static-tool.html)

Adrian Caspersz September 13th 17 02:50 PM

Make a handheld Vacuum Cleaner an Anti-Static tool?

I've got a cheap (£25/$30) hand held bagless 500W vaccum cleaner made
out of ABS plastic that must create a lot of static electricity when in
operation.

http://www.beldray.com/beldray-bel04...-lite-red.html

I'd quite like to use it to clean dust out from electronic equipment.

From another vacuum cleaner (industrial photo-copier maintenance thing)
I have a short conductive hose and various end tools, so I'm almost
there; but I need to ground something - possibly the hose coupling to
the cleaner.

Would that work? Or would the passing air circumvent it, and become
charged anyway.

If so, I think I might need to make conductive and internally ground
parts of the vacuum cleaner, using metal loaded paint and/or aluminium
tape. Work that I want to avoid if possible.

--
Adrian C

[email protected] September 14th 17 03:01 AM

Make a handheld Vacuum Cleaner an Anti-Static tool?

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:50:57 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

I've got a cheap (£25/$30) hand held bagless 500W vaccum cleaner made
out of ABS plastic that must create a lot of static electricity when in
operation.

http://www.beldray.com/beldray-bel04...-lite-red.html

I'd quite like to use it to clean dust out from electronic equipment.

From another vacuum cleaner (industrial photo-copier maintenance thing)
I have a short conductive hose and various end tools, so I'm almost
there; but I need to ground something - possibly the hose coupling to
the cleaner.

Would that work? Or would the passing air circumvent it, and become
charged anyway.

If so, I think I might need to make conductive and internally ground
parts of the vacuum cleaner, using metal loaded paint and/or aluminium
tape. Work that I want to avoid if possible.

While I am not 100% sure, I would think that any metal tip on the vac
which is well grounded, should work. I'd probably find some pipe and
duct tape it to the vac. Then apply a ground wire to it.

John Larkin[_4_] September 14th 17 05:21 AM

wrote:

I've got a cheap (£25/$30) hand held bagless 500W vaccum cleaner made
out of ABS plastic that must create a lot of static electricity when in
operation.

http://www.beldray.com/beldray-bel04...-lite-red.html

I'd quite like to use it to clean dust out from electronic equipment.

Just do it. Air is not going to zap electronic gear.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

[email protected] September 17th 17 03:26 AM

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 14:51:04 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've got a cheap (£25/$30) hand held bagless 500W vaccum cleaner made
out of ABS plastic that must create a lot of static electricity when in
operation.

http://www.beldray.com/beldray-bel04...-lite-red.html

I'd quite like to use it to clean dust out from electronic equipment.

From another vacuum cleaner (industrial photo-copier maintenance thing)
I have a short conductive hose and various end tools, so I'm almost
there; but I need to ground something - possibly the hose coupling to
the cleaner.

Would that work? Or would the passing air circumvent it, and become
charged anyway.

If so, I think I might need to make conductive and internally ground
parts of the vacuum cleaner, using metal loaded paint and/or aluminium
tape. Work that I want to avoid if possible.

What needs grounding is the nozzle/hose. If it's somewhat conductive plastic, just tying the bare mains earth wire round it would work.

NT

[email protected] September 18th 17 05:03 PM

Make a handheld Vacuum Cleaner an Anti-Static tool?

Disagree.

High velocity air moving over plastic can create a massive static charge. If your electronic are on the receiving end of an ESD jolt from the vacuum, it can do real damage. I have first hand industrial experience in this matter.

Terry