Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

There are no electronic stores anywhere near me. I cant believe the
prices they want on ebay for this string. (There is some Australia
source selling 12 meters of it for around $7 and wanting $45
shipping.... that's insane).

Anyhow, it's just string, but I know it needs to be strong and last for
years. Walmart has a lot of sewing and hobby stuff. Maybe there is a
thick thread that will work.

Someone on another forum suggested using fishing line. I know that stuff
is durable, but I know little more, since I dont fish. What guage and
material should I look for? If some of you are fishermen, maybe you
could just tell me what brand name and item number to buy. This cant be
rocket science. It's just string..... But what will work and last?

* I am currently needing to replace the dial string on a Zenith Trans
Oceanic radio, as well as the radio in a late 1960s era console stereo.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 2:23:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have an entire spool of the stuff. how much do you need?

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dacron fishing line, available at Wally-World. Take a bit of the old with you and bracket that gauge as there are many gauges and many radios. Each spool you purchase will be a lifetime supply for that gauge.

Note that there is considerable flexibility in actual use anyway.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Braided anywhere from 30 - 50 pound test is what I'd look for (though I'm not an expert.)

Avoid monofilament (slippery) and at all costs stay away from the power pro high tech stuff. It casts really well, I use it, but it frays like crazy.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dental floss.

Bill

You are CRUEL!!

Dental Floss is the last material that should be used for anything inside any electronics for any purpose other than cleaning. Sure, lots do use it. And if they use it in something that actually does get used, they will regret it.

This is similar to, but much worse than, using wax shoe-polish on stag.

Cruel, as OldSchool might actually take your advice!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 2:46:41 PM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:

Why?

Dental-floss is made of many small mono-filaments that are not twisted or woven. Once upon a time, it was made from silk which has a high strength-to-weight (and thickness) ratio, and actually could bio-degrade. As it was a once-use/often-used material, the short shelf-life of silk was not an issue - just the cost.

So, along came the bean-counters and decided to make it from either PTFE or Nylon. And flatten the fibers (still non-woven or twisted) so that they would be more likely to catch onto plaque, after all, the intended purpose of the stuff. Neither of these two materials degrades. Nylon is mildly toxic when burnt. PTFE is not only toxic, but even if heated up will kill birds, cats and other sensitive species, as well as cause birth-defects in amphibians (the fumes). So, trash-to-steam operations will convert PTFE PoC (products of combustion) into environmental toxins that normal filtration (for CO2, NOX and similar, and even limestone beds will not catch.

That is the environmental issue.

Now, the stuff, because it is non-woven/non-twisted, because the fibers are flattened, and so forth, will abrade the sheaves and shaft(s) over time, and also shred over time. Fine if on a shelf-queen that is never used, not so fine in a daily driver.

And, of course, waxed floss would start to slip in short order.

Those are the practical issues.

If one is in a McGyver-type situation, then desperate needs call for desperate measures. But when indulging in a hobby, such expedients are neither necessary nor very efficacious.

Lastly, recent, peer-reviewed studies have shown that flossing is, effectively, useless. Our dentist does not even give out the freebies anymore. And I have all my teeth, including all four wisdom teeth (straight) and I have not had a cavity since I was 14 - for the last 51 years.

Hope that helps.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/23/2017 3:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I appreciate the reply.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

$1.00 a foot. https://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/dial%20cord

Hurry up, there's a special promotion going on.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 08:20:59 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

On 22/08/2017 18:23, wrote:
[...]

Dental floss?
I've salvaged the string (plus knobs, ICs and IF resonators and
coils)from loads of basic tuners over the years, before dumping the rest

I salvage a lot of parts too, but dial string is NOT one of them. That
stuff just gets weak from age, and it's not (should not be) a high
priced item. Considering the amount of tedious work involved in
replacing them, I want NEW string, because that's one job I dont want to
do twice.

Back when brick and mortar electronic parts stores still existed, I
could buy a spool of this stuff (made exclusively for dial strings) for
a couple bucks. But these days the stuff seems hard to find, and is over
priced.

The dental floss was discussed and I wont be using it. Fishing line
seems to be the most recommended. I was also wondering if the thick
thread made for sewing canvas and furniture would work too? (Having done
some sewing on canvas tents, I know this stuff is strong, easy to get,
and cheap to buy).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:28:20 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/08/2017 3:23 AM, wrote:
[...]

**I have two, 100 Metre spools of dial cord here. One is 0.4mm and the
other is 0.3mm. How much do you need, which size and where do I post it?
Yes, I am in Australia. I cannot believe that it is unavailable in other
places.

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/dial-cord/ps/

Seems that Australia is the place to get dial string. Not sure why.....
Everything else comes from China these days.

But from what I saw on ebay, I am not willing to pay the shipping from
Australia.... And considering that this is just string, I dont see any
reason to import it. It's just string (or thread).

I'll look to get suitable fishing line.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 05:03:22 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Dacron fishing line, available at Wally-World. Take a bit of the old with you and
bracket that gauge as there are many gauges and many radios. Each spool you
purchase will be a lifetime supply for that gauge.

Note that there is considerable flexibility in actual use anyway.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That sounds good.....
I had to google "Dacron" to see what it is:

It's a synthetic polyester (polyethylene terephthalate) with tough,
elastic properties, used as a textile fabric.

I wonder how critical the gauge is? I'm sure that thicker is better as
far as having a longer life. So, if I buy a spool of something fairly
thick wont it work for all radios?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Consider the string that is used to close feed sacks. It is very strong .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

The main point about dial stringing , is that it is prestretched.
Anything else , other than monofilament, floss or thread ,you need to
break some to find its UTS and then stretch a long length of it to a bit
less force than the UTS

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote on 8/24/2017 12:42 PM:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:28:20 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/08/2017 3:23 AM,
wrote:
[...]

You can't afford $1.58? For $6 you can have 33 feet of 30 mil dial cord
delivered to your door. I wouldn't drive to the store for this when it is
delivered so cheaply. You will have to buy a lot more fishing line and
spend a lot more money.

You seem to have a habit of running into a small obstacle and seeing it as a
mountain. There is very affordable dial cord available from many sources,
so there is no reason to not buy the "right" stuff. If there is nothing
wrong with the radio tuning mechanism that is wearing the cord abnormally a
properly done restringing will last longer then you do. Why muck around
with a substitute when you can get the real stuff so easily (or would it be
"reel" stuff)?

BTW, here is a tip when searching ebay. When they present the search
results you can sort on "Price + shipping: lowest first". This will include
the cost of shipping and show you the lowest priced items first. Then you
just won't see the vendors who are trying to rip you off on shipping hoping
you won't notice.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25/08/2017 2:42 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:28:20 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/08/2017 3:23 AM,
wrote:
[...]

**You've got to be kidding! I just offered to send you some for free!
You pay for postage. Can't be more than a couple of Bucks. A couple of
Metres will fit in a standard envelope. I wasn't planning on sending a
whole spool of the stuff. Stop nickel and diming the thing. Either buy
the right stuff to do the job or accept my offer. BTW: My dial cord is
made in Taiwan, not China.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

On 25/08/2017 2:42 AM,
wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:28:20 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/08/2017 3:23 AM,
wrote:
[...]

He is really tight. This might even be the same cord.

$ 5.62 for 10 meters including that high price of about a buck and a
half for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAL-CORD-0-...-10-metres-to-
suit-radios/222592615826?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%
3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Dca3db13179c64681aa64f94 629564bb7%26pid%
3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D391772693645
&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

eBay item number:22259261582

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If all else fails go to a music store.

The valve linkage on French horns and some models of trombone are strung with the same stuff.

(of course most of us use fish line) (but you can buy the stuff designated for instruments)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 4:18:33 PM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 25/08/2017 2:42 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:28:20 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/08/2017 3:23 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Free is a admittedly a generous offer Trevor, but can you do better?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25/08/2017 2:42 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:28:20 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/08/2017 3:23 AM,
wrote:
[...]

**LOL! He wants everything, doesn't he?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:18:18 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

**You've got to be kidding! I just offered to send you some for free!
You pay for postage. Can't be more than a couple of Bucks. A couple of
Metres will fit in a standard envelope. I wasn't planning on sending a
whole spool of the stuff. Stop nickel and diming the thing. Either buy
the right stuff to do the job or accept my offer. BTW: My dial cord is
made in Taiwan, not China.

You didn't say in your post you were sending it for free, just that you
had it. I think the original was .5mm, but .4mm would probably work.
However, I dont know what the shipping would be. If it's anywhere near
what I saw on Ebay, I wont do it. $45 shipping for 12ft of string wound
around a tiny piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Apparently shipping from
Aus. is extremely high.

I'd rather just buy a spool of fishing line and have it on hand. But
since no one on this newsgroup is willing to give me a brand name and
UPC code, then my whole question was a waste of my time. I looked at
fishing line at Walmart. I never knew there were so many brands of the
stuff, with prices ranging from $1.29 to over $15. All of them are
sealed in plastic, so I cant determine the thickness, and all of them
sold appeared to be single strand clear plastic, rated by weight, not
diameter or material.

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

**You've got to be kidding! I just offered to send you some for free!
You pay for postage. Can't be more than a couple of Bucks. A couple of
Metres will fit in a standard envelope. I wasn't planning on sending a
whole spool of the stuff. Stop nickel and diming the thing. Either buy
the right stuff to do the job or accept my offer. BTW: My dial cord is
made in Taiwan, not China.

You didn't say in your post you were sending it for free, just that you
had it. I think the original was .5mm, but .4mm would probably work.
However, I dont know what the shipping would be. If it's anywhere near
what I saw on Ebay, I wont do it. $45 shipping for 12ft of string wound
around a tiny piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Apparently shipping from
Aus. is extremely high.

**AUS$2.95 according to my Australia Post online calculator:

https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/...mPostcode=2225

I don't regard AUS$2.95 as "extremely high".

I'd rather just buy a spool of fishing line and have it on hand. But
since no one on this newsgroup is willing to give me a brand name and
UPC code, then my whole question was a waste of my time.

**Well, no, it wasn't. You were provided with a wide variety of
solutions, including the correct stuff to do the job. Including my
offer, of course.

I looked at
fishing line at Walmart. I never knew there were so many brands of the
stuff, with prices ranging from $1.29 to over $15. All of them are
sealed in plastic, so I cant determine the thickness, and all of them
sold appeared to be single strand clear plastic, rated by weight, not
diameter or material.

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

****** off then. If you can't recognise real help when you see it, you
don't deserve it.

If you still want the stuff, send my AUS$2.95 and your address and I'll
post you a few Metres.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

**You've got to be kidding! I just offered to send you some for free!
You pay for postage. Can't be more than a couple of Bucks. A couple of
Metres will fit in a standard envelope. I wasn't planning on sending a
whole spool of the stuff. Stop nickel and diming the thing. Either buy
the right stuff to do the job or accept my offer. BTW: My dial cord is
made in Taiwan, not China.

You didn't say in your post you were sending it for free, just that you
had it. I think the original was .5mm, but .4mm would probably work.
However, I dont know what the shipping would be. If it's anywhere near
what I saw on Ebay, I wont do it. $45 shipping for 12ft of string wound
around a tiny piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Apparently shipping from
Aus. is extremely high.

Or perhaps you need to have your eyes examined or stop using an old round screen CRT as a monitor. Here's 32 feet of dial cord shipped around a "tiny piece of cardboard" from Australia for less than 6 bucks U.S. You can do a lot of radios with 32 feet including screwups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAL-CORD-0-...AOSweW5U2Wl n

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

You should probably take Trevor's offer as "free" seems to be as low as he's willing to go (unless he throws in a Super "Shammy" if you order now!!).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

a) If you were to stop whining & puling and start reading for content....
b) If you were to spend 1/10th the effort in thinking outside your tiny little box as you do complaining that the advice offered does not suit you....
c) If you were to try and understand that the community here consists of hundreds of years of experience doing many, many things....

You would be fine. And likely recognize the considerable amount of help you have gotten in these venues from many different individuals on many different subjects.

But, you do none of these things. Full Stop.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 05:28:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

But, you do none of these things. Full Stop.

And if someone would simply look at their own spool of fishing line and
say the brand name is "xxxxxx" and is sold as item number (or UPC code)
"xxxxxx", I'd probably be awaiting my order from an online sporting
goods store, or possibly already purchased from a brick and mortar store
and I'd already be restringing my radio right now. Instead I continue to
read you and others whining about my posting on this newsgroup.

I cant make it any clearer that I know nothing about fishing, and that
the line sold in the stores is rated by weight, not by diameter, and in
most cases the material it's made from is not even listed, or if it's
braided or solid. And with all of it encased in sealed plastic
containers I cant just choose by feel. All I see are a bunch of plastic
'donuts' hanging on a rack.... That leaves me two choices. Either begin
ripping apart the packages in the store, and probably get arrested for
doing it, or spend $500 to buy every package on the shelf, so I can tear
them all open at home and discard 99% of them, or maybe ALL of them if
none will work.

Take a look in a mirror and you will see who the real whiner is, who
cant comprehend what he reads!!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:48:59 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

****** off then. If you can't recognise real help when you see it, you
don't deserve it.

PLONK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dealing with you is a bit like nailing Jell-O or making sense of Donald tRump. Both dubious activities with little discernible reward.

I, amongst others, suggested that you "bring a bit of the old" with you for comparison purposes. And that within considerable margins, thickness is flexible. And that there are thousands of different radios, with more than a few line-weights possible. WHICH MEANS THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO THINK FOR YOURSELF.

The problem with prescriptive (rather than descriptive) advice, is that when (not *if*) you screw it up, we own it. No such thing here. You can figure it out in less time than it takes you post again.

NOTE FOR THE RECORD: WalMart sells all sorts of line in clear plastic shrink-wrap, so the gauge is entirely and easily visible. But that does not fit your view of the world, does it?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:03:22 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

And that within considerable margins, thickness is flexible.

And now I know who can not comprehend what they read, since I already
clearly said I need .5mm.

But it's obvious you are too conceited to admit being wrong!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 1:33:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I cant make it any clearer that I know nothing about fishing, and that
the line sold in the stores is rated by weight, not by diameter, and in
most cases the material it's made from is not even listed, or if it's
braided or solid. And with all of it encased in sealed plastic
containers I cant just choose by feel. All I see are a bunch of plastic
'donuts' hanging on a rack.... That leaves me two choices. Either begin
ripping apart the packages in the store, and probably get arrested for
doing it, or spend $500 to buy every package on the shelf, so I can tear
them all open at home and discard 99% of them, or maybe ALL of them if
none will work.

OK, I get it; you want us to do your homework for you.

So, I Googled Walmart fishing line, and one of the lines they sell is "Tuf-LINE". Then, I Googled *that* and found this:

https://tuf-line.com/product/braided-dacron/

If you need some thinner stuff, I found this (again, using that devil's tool - Google):

http://www.eposeidon.com/kastking-fo...d-fishing-line

If you scroll downwards (Google "scroll") you'll see they list the diameters of each line they sell. You even have choices of color!

But if you're holding out for Trevor going less than his last offer of free, I would take it as I think he's bottomed out...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

And that within considerable margins, thickness is flexible.

And now I know who can not comprehend what they read, since I already
clearly said I need .5mm.

But it's obvious you are too conceited to admit being wrong!!!

You may think you need 0.5mm as 0.5mm was there (do you actually have a vernier caliper? Doubtful). But the reality of dial string, with specific reference to Zenith TransOceanics is that anything up to one full mm will be fine, as modern Dacron will take knots better than vintage string - also discussed. Again, had you thought of taking a bit of the old with you, you would rapidly find what you needed. Vintage dial string was measured in gauge or fractions of inches, by the way, nor do they translate exactly to mm. Nor, in fact, would I trust you to be accurate in needing 0.5mm stuff.

See, this is the thing, were you to have any initiative rather than demanding to be spoon-fed with prescriptive advice, you would have filtered out: LOOK. FOR. WOVEN. DACRON. FISHING. LINE. And: TAKE. A. BIT. OF. THE. OLD. WITH. YOU. And, magically, you would have found what you wished in short order. Or, spent $6.00 and gotten the stuff from Australia. But, no, you want a UPC and brand name. And, when, as is very likely, it turns out to be not exactly what you expected, you would have someone handy to blame. Not gonna happen.

Man is born ignorant. However, it takes work to stay stupid - Benjamin Franklin.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The old fashioned black braided Dacron line is what you want, in about a 30 pound strength. It used to be the cheapest line you could find. Only kids using worms for sunfish would use it. Oh, and squidders, sometimes.

Be very careful with modern fish line. They sell something called braid (Spiderwire, for example) which will not work at all. It is very very thin for it's strength, difficult to tie, and abrades like crazy. I use some because it casts a mile. But it would not work in a radio.

Rather than go to Walmart, I'd go to a real bricks and mortar sports store - not a chain like Dick's, although they might have it, but something more specialized. And ASK!

Squidding line is the same thing, I think. Also mason line at Home Depot or Lowes is pretty close, might work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:12:58 PM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
The old fashioned black braided Dacron line is what you want, in about a 30 pound strength.

I'm not sure you can use a fast rule like that. The two links I posted for show radically different diameters for the same pound weight.

This company:

https://tuf-line.com/product/braided-dacron/

Shows their 30LB test as 0.712mm and this company:

http://www.eposeidon.com/kastking-fo...d-fishing-line

shows their 30LB test as 0.25mm

Best think to do is check with each manufacturer and pick by diameter not pound weight.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:55:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Not gonna happen.

You remind me of a women I once met. She was known as "Dick Teaser".
She would meet a man, talk real big, promise him love and happines,
fame, wealth, and great sex and beyond. Then she would take him on a
date, and get him to spend lots of money on her. After that, she would
take her clothing off, expose all her goods, and as soon as he got
really excited, she would say "Not gonna happen", and walk off with
another man, (and do the same thing to that man).

But she always had something to offer...... lots of false promises, lots
of meaningless words, with nothing worthwhile to back them, and nothing
useful to offer anyone in the end.

You remind me of her in so very, very many ways.

The only difference with you, you never turned me on, got me excited, or
took one cent of my money. And with you I can plonk you with one push of
a button.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 13:12:53 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

Squidding line is the same thing, I think. Also mason line
at Home Depot or Lowes is pretty close, might work.

THANKS