Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:12:58 PM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
The old fashioned black braided Dacron line is what you want, in about a 30 pound strength.

I'm not sure you can use a fast rule like that. The two links I posted for show radically different diameters for the same pound weight.

This company:

https://tuf-line.com/product/braided-dacron/

Shows their 30LB test as 0.712mm and this company:

http://www.eposeidon.com/kastking-fo...d-fishing-line

shows their 30LB test as 0.25mm

Best think to do is check with each manufacturer and pick by diameter not pound weight.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain. That kastking is called braid but it's the modern stuff, not the old cheap line.

It's okay for fishing but you absolutely don't want to put it in a radio at any strength or diameter. It's super slippery, hard to tie a knot that will hold, and it has no abrasion resistance. But it's diameter is tiny so fish don't see it, and it casts very well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 8:42:33 AM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
[...]

So the "Tuf-LINE" would be the better choice? Taking a second look at the Kastking link I see it's braided but not listed as Dacron. Maybe that's the determiner. Again, I didn't want to do oldfart's homework for him..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I happen to like this stuff. Takes knots very well, a bit fat (more contact area), does not abrade, and stretch is minimal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....yL._SL500_.jpg

But, would I suggest it to someone for other than generic purposes, or flying kits? Not hardly. Would I have purchased it without seeing a sample first? Not hardly. Do I own a vernier caliper? Yes, I do. Along with various other measuring sticks.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R wrote:

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:

Best think to do is check with each manufacturer and pick by diameter not pound weight.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain. That kastking is called braid but it's the modern stuff, not the old cheap line.

It's okay for fishing but you absolutely don't want to put it in a radio at any strength or diameter. It's super slippery, hard to tie a knot that will hold, and it has no abrasion resistance. But it's diameter is tiny so fish don't see it, and it casts very well.

You also want to be close to the original diameter. If it is much
larger, it can bind and wear out faster, or just jam on the main tuning
shaft. If it is smaller, it won't have enough friction to work properly.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/08/2017 9:42 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 2:12:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:18:18 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

**You've got to be kidding! I just offered to send you some for free!
You pay for postage. Can't be more than a couple of Bucks. A couple of
Metres will fit in a standard envelope. I wasn't planning on sending a
whole spool of the stuff. Stop nickel and diming the thing. Either buy
the right stuff to do the job or accept my offer. BTW: My dial cord is
made in Taiwan, not China.

You didn't say in your post you were sending it for free, just that you
had it. I think the original was .5mm, but .4mm would probably work.
However, I dont know what the shipping would be. If it's anywhere near
what I saw on Ebay, I wont do it. $45 shipping for 12ft of string wound
around a tiny piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Apparently shipping from
Aus. is extremely high.

Or perhaps you need to have your eyes examined or stop using an old round screen CRT as a monitor. Here's 32 feet of dial cord shipped around a "tiny piece of cardboard" from Australia for less than 6 bucks U.S. You can do a lot of radios with 32 feet including screwups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAL-CORD-0-...AOSweW5U2Wl n

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

You should probably take Trevor's offer as "free" seems to be as low as he's willing to go (unless he throws in a Super "Shammy" if you order now!!).

**Dunno what I was thinking. I should have offered to pay him to take
the stuff.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote on 8/30/2017 1:36 AM:
On 28/08/2017 9:42 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 2:12:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

You should probably take Trevor's offer as "free" seems to be as low as
he's willing to go (unless he throws in a Super "Shammy" if you order now!!).

**Dunno what I was thinking. I should have offered to pay him to take the
stuff.

Maybe we can offer to pay him to not post here?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998