DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What can I buy at Walmart for dial string? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/595567-what-can-i-buy-walmart-dial-string.html)

rickman August 29th 17 08:54 AM

What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

wrote on 8/28/2017 1:00 PM:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:48:59 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

****** off then. If you can't recognise real help when you see it, you
don't deserve it.

PLONK

This guy is an amazing piece of work. He can't figure out how to order from
ebay without buying from the most expensive seller and then he gets mad when
people express frustration in trying to help him.

What is wrong with this guy Oldschool?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

rickman August 29th 17 08:58 AM

What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

wrote on 8/29/2017 2:11 AM:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:55:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Not gonna happen.

You remind me of a women I once met. She was known as "Dick Teaser".
She would meet a man, talk real big, promise him love and happines,
fame, wealth, and great sex and beyond. Then she would take him on a
date, and get him to spend lots of money on her. After that, she would
take her clothing off, expose all her goods, and as soon as he got
really excited, she would say "Not gonna happen", and walk off with
another man, (and do the same thing to that man).

But she always had something to offer...... lots of false promises, lots
of meaningless words, with nothing worthwhile to back them, and nothing
useful to offer anyone in the end.

You remind me of her in so very, very many ways.

The only difference with you, you never turned me on, got me excited, or
took one cent of my money. And with you I can plonk you with one push of
a button.....

Holy crap! You are one weird piece of work!

John-Del[_2_] August 29th 17 11:57 AM

wrote:

Not gonna happen.

You remind me of a women I once met. She was known as "Dick Teaser".

snip

The only difference with you, you never turned me on, got me excited, or
took one cent of my money. And with you I can plonk you with one push of
a button.....

Holy crap! You are one weird piece of work!

--

Rick C

It's worse than that Rick, oldfart married her!!

Tim R[_2_] August 29th 17 01:42 PM

What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:12:58 PM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
The old fashioned black braided Dacron line is what you want, in about a 30 pound strength.

I'm not sure you can use a fast rule like that. The two links I posted for show radically different diameters for the same pound weight.

This company:

https://tuf-line.com/product/braided-dacron/

Shows their 30LB test as 0.712mm and this company:

http://www.eposeidon.com/kastking-fo...d-fishing-line

shows their 30LB test as 0.25mm

Best think to do is check with each manufacturer and pick by diameter not pound weight.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain. That kastking is called braid but it's the modern stuff, not the old cheap line.

It's okay for fishing but you absolutely don't want to put it in a radio at any strength or diameter. It's super slippery, hard to tie a knot that will hold, and it has no abrasion resistance. But it's diameter is tiny so fish don't see it, and it casts very well.

John-Del[_2_] August 29th 17 02:52 PM

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 8:42:33 AM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
[...]

So the "Tuf-LINE" would be the better choice? Taking a second look at the Kastking link I see it's braided but not listed as Dacron. Maybe that's the determiner. Again, I didn't want to do oldfart's homework for him..

[email protected] August 29th 17 03:48 PM

What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

I happen to like this stuff. Takes knots very well, a bit fat (more contact area), does not abrade, and stretch is minimal.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....yL._SL500_.jpg

But, would I suggest it to someone for other than generic purposes, or flying kits? Not hardly. Would I have purchased it without seeing a sample first? Not hardly. Do I own a vernier caliper? Yes, I do. Along with various other measuring sticks.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Michael A. Terrell August 30th 17 12:15 AM

Tim R wrote:

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:

Best think to do is check with each manufacturer and pick by diameter not pound weight.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain. That kastking is called braid but it's the modern stuff, not the old cheap line.

It's okay for fishing but you absolutely don't want to put it in a radio at any strength or diameter. It's super slippery, hard to tie a knot that will hold, and it has no abrasion resistance. But it's diameter is tiny so fish don't see it, and it casts very well.

You also want to be close to the original diameter. If it is much
larger, it can bind and wear out faster, or just jam on the main tuning
shaft. If it is smaller, it won't have enough friction to work properly.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Trevor Wilson August 30th 17 06:35 AM

wrote:

****** off then. If you can't recognise real help when you see it, you
don't deserve it.

PLONK

This guy is an amazing piece of work.Â* He can't figure out how to order
from ebay without buying from the most expensive seller and then he gets
mad when people express frustration in trying to help him.

What is wrong with this guy Oldschool?

**He is one of the most astonishingly stupid people I've run across.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Trevor Wilson August 30th 17 06:36 AM

What can I buy at Walmart for dial string?

On 28/08/2017 9:42 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 2:12:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:18:18 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

**You've got to be kidding! I just offered to send you some for free!
You pay for postage. Can't be more than a couple of Bucks. A couple of
Metres will fit in a standard envelope. I wasn't planning on sending a
whole spool of the stuff. Stop nickel and diming the thing. Either buy
the right stuff to do the job or accept my offer. BTW: My dial cord is
made in Taiwan, not China.

You didn't say in your post you were sending it for free, just that you
had it. I think the original was .5mm, but .4mm would probably work.
However, I dont know what the shipping would be. If it's anywhere near
what I saw on Ebay, I wont do it. $45 shipping for 12ft of string wound
around a tiny piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Apparently shipping from
Aus. is extremely high.

Or perhaps you need to have your eyes examined or stop using an old round screen CRT as a monitor. Here's 32 feet of dial cord shipped around a "tiny piece of cardboard" from Australia for less than 6 bucks U.S. You can do a lot of radios with 32 feet including screwups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAL-CORD-0-...AOSweW5U2Wl n

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

You should probably take Trevor's offer as "free" seems to be as low as he's willing to go (unless he throws in a Super "Shammy" if you order now!!).

**Dunno what I was thinking. I should have offered to pay him to take
the stuff.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

rickman August 30th 17 06:46 PM

Trevor Wilson wrote on 8/30/2017 1:36 AM:
On 28/08/2017 9:42 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 2:12:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:

So, the hell with any further comments from me. I have a few email
addresses of people who are ham radio operators. Maybe they can provide
some real help, since it's obvious I wont get it here.

You should probably take Trevor's offer as "free" seems to be as low as
he's willing to go (unless he throws in a Super "Shammy" if you order now!!).

**Dunno what I was thinking. I should have offered to pay him to take the
stuff.

Maybe we can offer to pay him to not post here?