Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Grundig Satellit 500, only works on FM

Hi, it may be a long shot:

Has anyone come across this problem? Only FM works. Main supply voltage
OK. It's not the antenna switch.

Also, where do I get schematics/service manual? I found a copy but
hardly readable.

Cheers

Tony
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tony wrote:

-----------------

Hi, it may be a long shot:

** A couple of minutes with Google turned up this:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/525

See the second post.

Seems loss of all AM bands is a common fault caused by a dodgy trim cap - C138.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06-Aug-17 12:17 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Tony wrote:

-----------------

Hi, it may be a long shot:

** A couple of minutes with Google turned up this:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/525

See the second post.

Seems loss of all AM bands is a common fault caused by a dodgy trim cap - C138.

..... Phil

Thanks Phil, I read right past this clue and missed it.
However, it was not C138, but another one nearby, C130. They are not on
the RF board but on the processor board underneath (in a can...).

It's easily identified by the fact that it is actually accessible
through a hole in the RF-PCB above and in the can below.
There is a handy hint for any one chasing this fault!

If one doesn't want to go so far and actually replace this trim C there
would be *no need* to take out the RF board, unsolder and bend out the 4
lugs of the shield cover of the processor boards and so on, a real PIA.
Just reaching through the hole with a trim tool and lightly tapping on
the variable cap is a quick fix. Good enough for me for now, I'll see
how it goes. But if one needs to replace the lithium memory battery
there is no way around this awkward job though.

Tony