Old June 24th 17, 10:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default [Q] dimmer switch for halogen floor lamp

On Monday, July 3, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Yi-Kuen Lee wrote:
Hi:

I wonder if anybody know where I can buy the light dimmer switch for
the 300 Watt torchiere-style halogen floor lamp. I checked my broken
dimmer switch is Zing Ear ZE-02. I tried to check internet such as
Digikey, Newmark.. But I couldn't find it. And I also find the manufacturer's
homepage: http://www.zingear.com.tw and sent an email to them. They didn't
reply my email. I think they just sell to the big company which makes the lamp.

Yi-Kuen

Hello,

You can buy the switch from this link:
https://www.ceilingfanswitch.com/pro...ing-ear-ze-02/

Old June 24th 17, 11:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 24 June 2017 22:42:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, July 3, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Yi-Kuen Lee wrote:
Hi:

I wonder if anybody know where I can buy the light dimmer switch for
the 300 Watt torchiere-style halogen floor lamp. I checked my broken
dimmer switch is Zing Ear ZE-02. I tried to check internet such as
Digikey, Newmark.. But I couldn't find it. And I also find the manufacturer's
homepage: http://www.zingear.com.tw and sent an email to them. They didn't
reply my email. I think they just sell to the big company which makes the lamp.

Yi-Kuen

Hello,

You can buy the switch from this link:
https://www.ceilingfanswitch.com/pro...ing-ear-ze-02/

Do you reckon it's still awaiting repair after 17 years?

NT
Old June 25th 17, 12:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts, I just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps because then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

Actually I should have not posted because I do not ****ing care.

Old June 25th 17, 01:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

----------------------------

Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts,
I just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps because
then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to
operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

** Yet another dumb myth trotted out by jurb.

Dimmed halogen bulbs last just fine - stage lighting has used dimmers and halogen lamps together for decades and get expected life out of them.

Hint, when dimmed the filament is cooler and does not NEED the " halogen cycle " to extend its life.

...... Phil

Old June 25th 17, 10:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts, I
just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps because
then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to
operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

Its all about the; "halogen cycle" - vapourised tungsten recirculates and
condenses back on the filament. Under a critical temperature, it deposits on
the inside of the envelope just like regular bulbs.

Old June 26th 17, 01:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 25 June 2017 22:11:59 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts, I
just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps because
then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to
operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

Its all about the; "halogen cycle" - vapourised tungsten recirculates and
condenses back on the filament. Under a critical temperature, it deposits on
the inside of the envelope just like regular bulbs.

but slowly. And when full powered it then cleans itself.

NT
Old June 26th 17, 08:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts,
just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps
because
then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to
operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

Its all about the; "halogen cycle" - vapourised tungsten recirculates and
condenses back on the filament. Under a critical temperature, it deposits
on
the inside of the envelope just like regular bulbs.

but slowly. And when full powered it then cleans itself.

You'd have to get the quartz envelope seriously hot to do that - like
glowing so white it gave off UV.

Old June 26th 17, 10:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts,
just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps
because
then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to
operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

Its all about the; "halogen cycle" - vapourised tungsten recirculates and
condenses back on the filament. Under a critical temperature, it deposits
on
the inside of the envelope just like regular bulbs.

but slowly. And when full powered it then cleans itself.

You'd have to get the quartz envelope seriously hot to do that - like
glowing so white it gave off UV.

AIUI they're self cleaning at rated voltage.

NT
Old June 26th 17, 11:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Yeah, another Googler. I am oe but I do not drege up decades old posts,
just use it because...

But the thing is you are really not supposed to din halogen lamps
because
then the halogen is not sufficiently activated to allow the filament to
operate in the higher range, which is the whole idea of halogen lamps.

Its all about the; "halogen cycle" - vapourised tungsten recirculates and
condenses back on the filament. Under a critical temperature, it deposits
on
the inside of the envelope just like regular bulbs.

but slowly. And when full powered it then cleans itself.

You'd have to get the quartz envelope seriously hot to do that - like
glowing so white it gave off UV.

AIUI they're self cleaning at rated voltage.

When they are RUN at the rated voltage and power. If you dim them the
tungsten is deposited on the quartz and short of heating the quarts to
white hot (above poster's remarks) the tungsten is going to STAY on the
quartz, not recoating on the filament.

http://www.topbulb.com/blog/dimming-...halogen-cycle/

In other words don't do it.

John

NT

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Old June 27th 17, 05:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

----------------------

When they are RUN at the rated voltage and power. If you dim them the
tungsten is deposited on the quartz and short of heating the quarts to
white hot (above poster's remarks) the tungsten is going to STAY on the
quartz, not recoating on the filament.

http://www.topbulb.com/blog/dimming-...halogen-cycle/

** That is merely one person's opinion, not backed up with evidence.

Wiki says differently :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haloge...on_performance

Stage lighting uses dimming all the time with halogen lamps and there is no blackening or short life experienced - the lamps run much longer as expected.

The claim that the "halogen cycle" puts metal back on the filament is true but it does not deposit it back where it came from so has little effect on lamp life.

Most halogen lamps are low voltage or high powered - so in both cases the filaments are thicker than typical non halogen examples.

Having a thick filament makes a halogen lamp last longer.

..... Phil