Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default [Q] dimmer switch for halogen floor lamp

"John-Del" wrote in message
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 11:38:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, 29 June 2017 15:01:15 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:24:19 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
John-Delusional ****wit wrote:

One more thing: if you look at a halogen lamp crosseyed the
filament will
fail from the shock of your stare.. The filaments are not
supported as
they are in a standard incandescent lamp so they must not be
subject to
shock or vibration.

** See pics of 150W halogen tube lamps:

http://www.destinationlighting.com/i...13549~zoom.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...eef67_1000.jpg

https://images.musicstore.de/images/...000456-000.jpg

How about a 1000W one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...m281-33642.pdf

Phallus'n emanated the following from his bunghole:

They are real pics published by folk who make and sell the lamps.

General Electric is one of the largest manufacturers of all kinds of
lighting on the planet. Strangely, most folks who are not confined to
an insane asylum would believe technical information from General
Electric over some two-bit self aggrandized "technician" such as
yourself.

This is what General Electric says about the subject:

"Unlike incandescent rough service or vibration service lamps, Halogen
and HIR lamps are not equipped with filament supports because they
would result in the de-rating of the life and lumens, and thusly defeat
the purpose of providing extremely long life, energy savings and high
lumen output. These features differentiate Halogen and HIR lamps from
similar incandescent counterparts. However, these high performance
lamps require more consideration and education when installing and
aiming them."

Anyone who ever tried to use halogen lamps in portable clamp lights
know they will be lucky to survive one minor bump, whereas even
conventional incandescent lamps will survive several, and rough service
incandescent lamps are extraordinarily tough.

GE says your wrong Phil.

Phil certainly has his problems but he's right on this one.

NT

Okay, that's two that think they're right and General Electric is wrong.
Not sure if that constitutes a consensus or not...

Hehehe......

AFAIK: GE are still making jet engines - I think it was probably
Westinghouse that had to give it up as a bad job.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
When dealing with closely held beliefs, revealed religion and
pronouncements from burning bushes, only war will determine what is
'truth' - and only insofar as the winner writes the history books.

Keep in mind the 'simple truth' of Evolution:

In the United States:

19% believe in Evolution.
34% believe in pure creationism.
25% believe in 'directed evolution'.
The rest have no opinion.

And the US is by no means any different than the rest of the world in its
beliefs.

In the late 30s - the only Americans that GAF about the European war; wanted
to join the Axis.

The Jap attack on pearl just after Japan became the 3rd member of the Axis
is the only thing that changed their mind.

Just before that; America was doing military excercises in preparation for
an attack on parts of the British Empire.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Thursday, 29 June 2017 12:51:44 UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

Sometimes you're just bizarre.

** Mostly I make more good sense that you care or are able to
acknowledge.

In case you actually are that confused, which is hard to believe,
I have never been involved in producing or selling fake transistors
or any other fake parts.

** Good, I believe you.

Then explain what made you think it was clever to defend those who did ?

It was done over several posts and you were smug as hell about it.

There is nothing the *iniest bit funny* about Asian and US based
criminals ripping off keen electronics hobbyists and honest repair
industry folk like me.

Over to you...........

.... Phil

Sometimes I'm not sure which planet you're from.

There's ongoing debate as to whether it even has a
sky...........................

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

tabby wrote:

Sometimes you're just bizarre.

** Mostly I make more good sense that you care or are able to
acknowledge.

In case you actually are that confused, which is hard to believe,
I have never been involved in producing or selling fake transistors
or any other fake parts.

** Good, I believe you.

Then explain what made you think it was clever to defend those who did ?

It was done over several posts and you were smug as hell about it.

There is nothing the *iniest bit funny* about Asian and US based
criminals ripping off keen electronics hobbyists and honest repair
industry folk like me.

Over to you...........

.... Phil

Sometimes I'm not sure which planet you're from. I do not encourage, agree
with or assist criminals who fake parts or deal in fake parts. Never have.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to how
probably all of you get parts, and I suspect a large misunderstanding to
have arisen from that.

Counterfeiting is less jail time than drug running - electronic component
isn't the only thing affected.

Pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, fashion, electronics - I can't think of anything
that isn't.

A few years back; a reputable supplier got lumbered with hundreds of
thousands of state of the art CPUs that turned out to be all package and no
silicon.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 1 July 2017 04:00:50 UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

** Your posts on SED a few year back re fake Motorola power
BJTs were bizarre.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to
how probably all of you get parts,

** What the hell does *that* mean ???

Thornton is definitely "covering up" here.

If Google has it, I will repost what NT said on SED.

I see you're being more idiot than I expected.

** Yet again you have posted something completely mysterious about purchasing components. Doing that does not make you sound one bit clever, rather it does the exact opposite.

Makes YOU look a real idiot.

Boy you love to spout on matters you truly know jack about.
Jim is right about you, I won't waste time explaining what I said.

FYI:

Luckily for you, Google does not seem to have the previous SED thread available.

Lol. My best guess is you made some bonkers accusations and I didn't waste any time discussing them with you. You are, some of the time, truly a loony.. This notion of yours that I'm some master criminal is one more piece of your lunacy. And I have zero interest in what your reply is. Good bye, rejoin the nutjob filter. I really should leave you there.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

** Your posts on SED a few year back re fake Motorola power
BJTs were bizarre.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to
how probably all of you get parts,

** What the hell does *that* mean ???

Thornton is definitely "covering up" here.

If Google has it, I will repost what NT said on SED.

I see you're being more idiot than I expected.

** Yet again you have posted something completely mysterious about purchasing components. Doing that does not make you sound one bit clever, rather it does the exact opposite.

Makes YOU look a real idiot.

Boy you love to spout on matters you truly know jack about.

** YOU need to explain your self referencing posts cos they make no sense.

Jim is right about you,

** You should explain that remark too.

I won't waste time explaining what I said.

** That is a blatant lie.

You are being mysterious and deceitful.

Luckily for you, Google does not seem to have the previous SED
thread available.

Lol. My best guess is you made some bonkers accusations

** Your " best guess" is completely wrong.

The gist of your posts on SED was not to fuss over counterfeit Motorola power transistors - lots of products are cloned and faked by others and sold as genuine. Get used to it was the message.

I complained that that was a totally crazy messageonly someone INVOLVERD in the criminal trade would put forward in defence of what they were doing.

You then posted similar paranoid crapology to that appearing below:

and I didn't waste any time discussing them with you. You are, some of the time, truly a loony. This notion of yours that I'm some master criminal is one more piece of your lunacy. And I have zero interest in what your reply is. Good bye, rejoin the nutjob filter. I really should leave you there.

Crazy stuff, completely nuts.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

-----------------------------------

Counterfeiting is less jail time than drug running - electronic component
isn't the only thing affected.

Pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, fashion, electronics - I can't think of anything
that isn't.

A few years back; a reputable supplier got lumbered with hundreds of
thousands of state of the art CPUs that turned out to be all package and no
silicon.

** My colleague Rod Elliot ( of ESP ) and I spent considerable time investigating numerous fake transistors that were being sold over the counter here in Australia. Initially it was Motorola MJ15003s & MJ15004s used in amplifier kits and sold folk doing repairs.

I first saw examples back in 1980 from "Dick Smith Electronics" - who sold thousands of counterfeits that way - some to me. And again in 2000, purchased from a different source. The internet was put to good use by me and a friend to embarrass the company out of continuing.

DSE is no longer in business and so too are a couple of others that imported and sold fakes - however they are still on open sale here and all over eBay.

This article was prepared from information gleaned by myself and Rod.

http://sound.whsites.net/fake/counterfeit-p1.htm

http://sound.whsites.net/counterfeit.htm

For a long time now, it has not been safe to buy power BJTs from ANY small supplier or on line dealer - cos their stock consists MOSTLY of fakes.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

-----------------------------------

[...]

Big trusted suppliers get stung too.

There are very few dodgy little pharmaceutical distributors and the big boys
get hit just as hard. If they can't keep it clean - component suppliers
never will.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

** Responsible companies ( like Farnell, Digikey and RS Components ) make sure that all stock is traceable back to the factories that made them.

Semiconductor makers have networks of authorised dealers in each country and advise that you must buy from one of them to be certain you are getting genuine stuff.

Businesses who's semiconductor stock is full of fakes have no idea where any of it really came from and don't give a damn.

Grey market semiconductor dealers find Ebay accommodates them happily.

..... Phil

..... Phil