Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default [Q] dimmer switch for halogen floor lamp

John Robertson is a Moronic Google Monkey

So, perhaps theatre halogen bulbs are designed to be dimmed?

** Perhaps your fat arse is on fire ?

Ever think of that?

Not sure what that has to do with the question raised by your source

** It was not my "source" - fool.

(wikipedia) where the point was raised that theatre lighting had their
own expectations about the use of halogen bulbs.

** Says nothing like that.

Quote, do not rephrase.

"Halogen lamps are designed to operate at very high temperatures to
ensure optimal performance. Dimming at above 60% of the rated volts can
be done. It is recommended to revert to full brightness for one minute
prior to switching the lamps off."

** Drivel, not real information.

Excuse me Phil,

** Never.

but I was quoting from YOUR wikipedia reference source,

** That is NOT from any Wiki.

Some industry crap YOU dragged up Google monkeying.

Do pay attention.

In other words do not run them above 60% of rated line voltage for
extended times without heating/running them at 100% for one minute prior
to turning off. I am SURE everyone will do that!

** The false warning is about running halogen BELOW 60% rated voltage.

Not the same thing,

** FFS - you are illiterate & stupid.

60% equates to about 10 to 15% of normal light output which is very dim.

BTW:

Ever see or use a halogen down light?

Standard practice is to run them off dimmers at any level you like.

Of course, people will do whatever they like - that was not the
question.

** But it is the answer to the question - you fool.

The original question was was it a good idea to run halogen
lights on dimmers and would it adversely affect their rated life span.

** And we have overwhelming proof there is no such problem from the MILLIONS of householders successfully doing it every day.

Are you blind by any chance?

Googling finds you every piece of misinformation that ever existed.

** Copy out the above line 1000 times before you go to bed.

You may be an excellent designer of electronics, but are you a halogen
lighting expert too?

** Yep, some of my customers own large lighting rigs using mainly 500W and 1000W halogen lamps. I get to service their dimmers and boards and see the lamps operating too.

Halogen lamps are used in slide projectors, bought one of them in 1976.

One of my workshop lamps uses is a 150W halogen tube, I get to replace it every once in a while. 12V down lights are all halogen.

The buggers are all around me so I take a strong interest.

Go away, fool.

....... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 12:25:16 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

----------------------

John-Delusional wrote:

---------------------------

One more thing: if you look at a halogen lamp crosseyed the filament will
fail from the shock of your stare.. The filaments are not supported as
they are in a standard incandescent lamp so they must not be subject to
shock or vibration.

** See pics of 150W halogen tube lamps:

http://www.destinationlighting.com/i...13549~zoom.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...eef67_1000.jpg

https://images.musicstore.de/images/...000456-000.jpg

How about a 1000W one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

** Here is a Sylvania 42W halogen replacement for a standard GLS bulb:

https://media.tradezone.com.au/image...0/18579/30.jpg

Note how the filament passes over a glass support bridge at the top of the small envelope. Most of the filament is coiled but the section over the bridge is not.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 29 June 2017 04:11:09 UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

You ****wit, lying POS.

no, just short on knowledge.

** Ian Field is a prize ****wit, a congenital liar and a POS.

He makes facts up and uses false logic constantly.

He is clearly an autistic dim wit.

Just like thousands of other internet trolls.

That interpretation ...

** It ain't no "interpretation" - pal.

then nothing will change
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Really N.Thornton.

----------------------------

** Ian Field is a prize ****wit, a congenital liar and a POS.

He makes facts up and uses false logic constantly.

He is clearly an autistic dim wit.

Just like thousands of other internet trolls.

That interpretation ...

** It ain't no "interpretation" - pal.

then nothing will change

** The only clear thing is that YOU will not change.

Because you lack the capacity for any kind of self improvement.

BTW:

You never did explain why you tried to defend the criminal arseholes who were selling fake and useless Motorola power transistors ?

I accused you of involvement cos no other explanation seemed possible.

The you failed to explain your actual reason.

Were you involved ?

Or just being a total ****head, like now ?

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 29 June 2017 12:22:20 UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby:

Really N.Thornton.

----------------------------

** Ian Field is a prize ****wit, a congenital liar and a POS.

He makes facts up and uses false logic constantly.

He is clearly an autistic dim wit.

Just like thousands of other internet trolls.

That interpretation ...

** It ain't no "interpretation" - pal.

then nothing will change

** The only clear thing is that YOU will not change.

Because you lack the capacity for any kind of self improvement.

this is supposed to make you look sane?

BTW:

You never did explain why you tried to defend the criminal arseholes who were selling fake and useless Motorola power transistors ?

I accused you of involvement cos no other explanation seemed possible.

The you failed to explain your actual reason.

Were you involved ?

Or just being a total ****head, like now ?

Sometimes you're just bizarre. In case you actually are that confused, which is hard to believe, I have never been involved in producing or selling fake transistors or any other fake parts.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Really N.Thornton.

----------------------------

** Ian Field is a prize ****wit, a congenital liar and a POS.

He makes facts up and uses false logic constantly.

He is clearly an autistic dim wit.

Just like thousands of other internet trolls.

That interpretation ...

** It ain't no "interpretation" - pal.

then nothing will change

** The only clear thing is that YOU will not change.

Because you lack the capacity for any kind of self improvement.

BTW:

You never did explain why you tried to defend the criminal arseholes
who were selling fake and useless Motorola power transistors ?

I accused you of involvement cos no other explanation seemed possible.

The you failed to explain your actual reason.

Were you involved ?

Or just being a total ****head, like now ?

Sometimes you're just bizarre.

** Mostly I make more good sense that you care or are able to acknowledge.

In case you actually are that confused, which is hard to believe,
I have never been involved in producing or selling fake transistors
or any other fake parts.

** Good, I believe you.

Then explain what made you think it was clever to defend those who did ?

It was done over several posts and you were smug as hell about it.

There is nothing the *iniest bit funny* about Asian and US based criminals ripping off keen electronics hobbyists and honest repair industry folk like me.

Over to you...........

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

.....honest repair industry folk like me.

In the case of Mr. I-am-never-wrong Allison, the above is a contradiction-in-terms.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

The Peter Wieck Ratbag Troll
------------------------------------

....honest repair industry folk like me.

In the case of Mr. I-am-never-wrong Allison,

** Unlike the trolling, never right Wieck troll.

the above is a contradiction-in-terms.

** That's low and very nasty.

You have no cause to infer dishonesty.

Wot a lying, ****ing prick you are.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

** And he stinks the place right up.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:24:19 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
John-Delusional ****wit wrote:

---------------------------------

One more thing: if you look at a halogen lamp crosseyed the filament will
fail from the shock of your stare.. The filaments are not supported as
they are in a standard incandescent lamp so they must not be subject to
shock or vibration.

** See pics of 150W halogen tube lamps:

http://www.destinationlighting.com/i...13549~zoom.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...eef67_1000.jpg

https://images.musicstore.de/images/...000456-000.jpg

How about a 1000W one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...m281-33642.pdf

Phallus'n emanated the following from his bunghole:

They are real pics published by folk who make and sell the lamps.

General Electric is one of the largest manufacturers of all kinds of lighting on the planet. Strangely, most folks who are not confined to an insane asylum would believe technical information from General Electric over some two-bit self aggrandized "technician" such as yourself.

This is what General Electric says about the subject:

"Unlike incandescent rough service or vibration service lamps, Halogen and HIR lamps are not equipped with filament supports because they would result in the de-rating of the life and lumens, and thusly defeat the purpose of providing extremely long life, energy savings and high lumen output. These features differentiate Halogen and HIR lamps from similar incandescent counterparts. However, these high performance lamps require more consideration and education when installing and aiming them."

Anyone who ever tried to use halogen lamps in portable clamp lights know they will be lucky to survive one minor bump, whereas even conventional incandescent lamps will survive several, and rough service incandescent lamps are extraordinarily tough.

GE says your wrong Phil. Everyone here *knows* you're a Wiki jockey. Do usenet a big favor and go back to fixing toasters and coffee makers and stop pretending to be playing with the big boys. Oh yeah, clean your trailer of roaches while you're at it...

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...v6zw%5B1-25%5D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

** That's low and very nasty.

You have no cause to infer dishonesty.

Sorry. That is entirely accurate, and I have every right to infer dishonesty.

You cannot admit to any level of 'wrongness'. If you cannot be honest with yourself, you cannot be honest with others. Full stop,

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del is Delusional wrote:

-------------------------------

** See pics of 150W halogen tube lamps:

http://www.destinationlighting.com/i...13549~zoom.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...eef67_1000.jpg

https://images.musicstore.de/images/...000456-000.jpg

How about a 1000W one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...m281-33642.pdf

They are real pics published by folk who make and sell the lamps.

General Electric is one of the largest manufacturers of all kinds of lighting on the planet. Strangely, most folks who are not confined to an insane asylum would believe technical information from General Electric over some two-bit self aggrandized "technician" such as yourself.

** Fact id, I never posted a word on the topic - just a few pics that spoke for themselves.

Seems Mr Dell simply cannot see them.

Or prefers not to.

This is what General Electric says about the subject:

** Yep, and GE are speaking only of their own products.

Not any others.

GE says your wrong Phil.

** I never posted a word on the topic.

Just pics that cannot be denied.

Everyone here *knows* you're a Wiki jockey.

** That would appear to be what you are.

Another Google Monkey with no brains.

BTW:

This guy is on something illegal for sure.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

The Peter Wieck ****wit Troll

----------------------------------

** That's low and very nasty.

You have no cause to infer dishonesty.

Sorry. That is entirely accurate, and I have every right to infer dishonesty.

** You have in fact none at all - ****head.

You cannot admit to any level of 'wrongness'.

** You have never shown me to be actually wrong.

OTOH, I have made you look like an idiot countless times.

A very easy thing to do.

If you cannot be honest with yourself,

** That is your major failing - Peter.

You are incapable of seeing your own foolishness.

Narcissistic, autistic geriatrics never can.

They just repeat the exact same errors till they drop dead.

I hope & expect that will not take too long with you.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Delusional ****wit wrote:

---------------------------------

[...]

Interesting link. Not only does he have roaches, he seems to be a serial
WD-40 abuser. He likely started with isopropyl alcohol as a gateway cleaner
and worked his way up through commercial contact cleaners and pencil eraser
tips before using the "hard" stuff. Where's Jack Webb when you need him?

--

Rick C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 10:21:54 AM UTC-4, Phallus'n belched:

** You have never shown me to be actually wrong.

We don't need to go to far, you're wrong on this thread.

** That is your major failing - Peter.

There are so few humans alive with your bouquet of human failures Phil, not the least the ability to recognize yourself in your accusations of others.

**You are incapable of seeing your own foolishness.

Pot; meet Kettle...

You are incapable of not only seeing your own foolishness, but any of your many other human failings including (but certainly not limited to) your hateful vile demeanor. You've infested many NGs with your stench and you don't realize it's coming from you. Every newsgroup you pollute becomes something less for your involvement.

You're the only one here who doesn't see that Peter is a gentleman and quality human being. Everyone else sees you as a piece of **** who clearly has been abusing WD40 propellant. Don't you have a toaster to rewire?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del wrote on 6/29/2017 11:49 AM:
[...]

Do you also make fun of homeless people on the street and other mentally ill
people? Why pick on Phil. It's not like he has any control over his posts.
Clearly he is ill and needs our support, not reproach.

--

Rick C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 12:16:33 PM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
[...]

Admonitions understood. I am ashamed. Thanks for that slap in the face Rick!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John Robertson" wrote in message
On 2017/06/26 9:52 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
John Robertson wrote:

----------------------

When they are RUN at the rated voltage and power. If you dim them the
tungsten is deposited on the quartz and short of heating the quarts to
white hot (above poster's remarks) the tungsten is going to STAY on the
quartz, not recoating on the filament.

http://www.topbulb.com/blog/dimming-...halogen-cycle/

** That is merely one person's opinion, not backed up with evidence.

Wiki says differently :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haloge...on_performance

Stage lighting uses dimming all the time with halogen lamps and there is
no blackening or short life experienced - the lamps run much longer as
expected.

The claim that the "halogen cycle" puts metal back on the filament is
true but it does not deposit it back where it came from so has little
effect on lamp life.

Most halogen lamps are low voltage or high powered - so in both cases the
filaments are thicker than typical non halogen examples.

Having a thick filament makes a halogen lamp last longer.

..... Phil

Well, I must confess I've never studied halogen bulbs on dimmers but
reading Lutron's site does not give any concerns from them about halogens
on dimmers in household use:

It seems fairly obvious that a dimmed filament doesn't gas off much
tungsten.

Ordinary bulbs above a certain rating are banned and have been replaced by
halogen capsules enclosed in a regular globe envelope.

So far; I've not seen any dimmable CFLs on the shelves and LED bulbs are
probably more tricky. The packaged halogen capsules are the easy way out if
you want a dimmer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/d...-fluorescents/

They exist, our local Home Depot stocks them. Personally, I do not use them. If I need dimming, I use an LED.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Don't feel bad. When approached by an aggressive panhandler, I take this approach, 100% of the time:

You empty your pockets (I get to search), and I will empty mine (you get to search). Whatever we find, we split it right down the middle.

In well over 100 offers of this sort, I have never once had a taker.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del is Deranged:

** You have never shown me to be actually wrong.

We don't need to go to far, you're wrong on this thread.

** No one tiny bit.

OTOH you have ignored many photos that prove you wrong beyond any doubt.

FYI out the

Delusional Del is an obvious lunatic and congenital asshole.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

The Wieck troll

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/d...-fluorescents/

They exist, our local Home Depot stocks them.
Personally, I do not use them.
If I need dimming, I use an LED.

** Dimmable CFLs require a special dimmer, not the standard triac kind.

LED lamps have the same issue, most of them are "non-dimmable" and the rest need a similar, special dimmer.

OTOH, if you have a spare Variac lying around, it will dim most CFLs rather well and LEDs not so well.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 8:55:23 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
John-Del is Deranged:

** You have never shown me to be actually wrong.

We don't need to go to far, you're wrong on this thread.

** No one tiny bit.

OTOH you have ignored many photos that prove you wrong beyond any doubt.

Those photos only prove you don't know what you're looking at. Those filaments have not nearly enough support to render those halogen lamps as sturdy as standard incandescents. Filaments that run that hot need more support per given length.

General Electric says this:

"Unlike incandescent rough service or vibration service lamps, Halogen and HIR lamps are not equipped with filament supports because they would result in the de-rating of the life and lumens, and thusly defeat the purpose of providing extremely long life, energy savings and high lumen output. These features differentiate Halogen and HIR lamps from similar incandescent counterparts."

Phallus'n says this: I'm right and if you don't agree with me you're an autistic deranged ****wit who should kill himself!!!

Are you that delusional where you think anybody reading this NG would possibly agree with you Phil?

I would suggest you take that toaster you're rebuilding and modifying and take it in the bathtub with you (plugged in), but since your trailer is so roach infested I doubt you even know what a bathtub is.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del is Totally Deranged:

-----------------------------------

** You have never shown me to be actually wrong.

We don't need to go to far, you're wrong on this thread.

** No one tiny bit.

OTOH you have ignored many photos that prove you wrong beyond any doubt.

Those photos only prove you don't know what you're looking at.

** They prove you and GE wrong.

Those filaments have not nearly enough support to render those halogen
lamps as sturdy as standard incandescents.

** Del is now *desperately* trying to change the subject.

Cos he is a congenital, lying POS.

FYI to all:

Halogen tube lamps have sufficient internal supports to allow them to be used in portable work lights and similar jobs.

General Electric says this:

"Unlike incandescent rough service or vibration service lamps, Halogen and HIR lamps are not equipped with filament supports because they would result in the de-rating of the life and lumens, and thusly defeat the purpose of providing extremely long life, energy savings and high lumen output. These features differentiate Halogen and HIR lamps from similar incandescent counterparts."

** GE sell identical looking halogen tube lamps, with similar multiple supports.

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...m181-12726.pdf

Phallus'n says this: I'm right and if you don't agree with me you're
an autistic deranged ****wit who should kill himself!!!

** Yep - you are very much one of them.

A dangerous lunatic in anyone's book.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del wrote on 6/29/2017 10:23 PM:
[...]

The problem with Phil is not that he rants and raves like a lunatic. The
problem is that people not only read his posts, they take them seriously as
if they *weren't* written by a deranged sociopath and respond! The
resulting conversations are *NEVER* productive resulting in a tirade of
insults and imbecilic retorts that demonstrate only the extent of his mental
illness. The conversations rage on with no useful content until everyone
finally tires of the insanity of it all and gives up the attempts at
rational discourse. Some people take longer than others.

--

Rick C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 29 June 2017 12:51:44 UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

Sometimes you're just bizarre.

** Mostly I make more good sense that you care or are able to acknowledge.

In case you actually are that confused, which is hard to believe,
I have never been involved in producing or selling fake transistors
or any other fake parts.

** Good, I believe you.

Then explain what made you think it was clever to defend those who did ?

It was done over several posts and you were smug as hell about it.

There is nothing the *iniest bit funny* about Asian and US based criminals ripping off keen electronics hobbyists and honest repair industry folk like me.

Over to you...........

.... Phil

Sometimes I'm not sure which planet you're from. I do not encourage, agree with or assist criminals who fake parts or deal in fake parts. Never have.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to how probably all of you get parts, and I suspect a large misunderstanding to have arisen from that.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Delusional ****wit wrote:

[...]

Phil certainly has his problems but he's right on this one.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/d...-fluorescents/

They exist, our local Home Depot stocks them. Personally, I do not use
them. If I need dimming, I use an LED.

Some LED bulbs are switch mode, usually flyback AFAICT. They are pretty much
the same as CFLs on a triac dimmer.

Most cheaper LED bulbs are wattless-dropper - I haven't bothered trying any
on a dimmer.

I've seen data sheets for PFC front end CFL and LED driver chips - but no
products on the shelves so far.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 2:00:04 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:

Some LED bulbs are switch mode, usually flyback AFAICT. They are pretty much
the same as CFLs on a triac dimmer.

http://creebulb.com/bulbfinder

We use Cree lamps where we need dimming, and in general if replacements. We still have some few legacy LED lamps in place (stuff that came-with other stuff), but we do not intend to dim those.

NOTE: some cheap LED lamps are very noisy in the RF range. VERY noisy, approaching that of an unshielded ignition transformer (oil burner).

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Delusional ****wit wrote:

[...]

Okay, that's two that think they're right and General Electric is wrong. Not sure if that constitutes a consensus or not...

Hehehe......

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When dealing with closely held beliefs, revealed religion and pronouncements from burning bushes, only war will determine what is 'truth' - and only insofar as the winner writes the history books.

Keep in mind the 'simple truth' of Evolution:

In the United States:

19% believe in Evolution.
34% believe in pure creationism.
25% believe in 'directed evolution'.
The rest have no opinion.

And the US is by no means any different than the rest of the world in its beliefs.

So, something as esoteric as lamp filaments... you get the picture.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 30 June 2017 19:00:04 UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/d...-fluorescents/

They exist, our local Home Depot stocks them. Personally, I do not use
them. If I need dimming, I use an LED.

Some LED bulbs are switch mode, usually flyback AFAICT. They are pretty much
the same as CFLs on a triac dimmer.

Most cheaper LED bulbs are wattless-dropper - I haven't bothered trying any
on a dimmer.

I've seen data sheets for PFC front end CFL and LED driver chips - but no
products on the shelves so far.

CR supplies used in some LEDs burn up on dimmers or MSW inverters. The voltage steps cause current pulses that increase resistor P_diss massively. They dim perfectly on variacs - but probably no-one uses variac dimmers now.

I suppose in principle a mosfet dimmer could switch off & on at the same voltage each side of the peak, and thus work ok with CR PSU LEDs, but I've not heard of such dimmers - not been looking for any dimmers for years though.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 30 June 2017 20:50:02 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 11:38:41 AM UTC-4, tabby wrote:

Phil certainly has his problems but he's right on this one.

Okay, that's two that think they're right and General Electric is wrong. Not sure if that constitutes a consensus or not...

Hehehe......

way more than 2. If you've not met promotional literature that makes claims that don't add up, I don't know where you've been hiding.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

-------------------------------

Sometimes you're just bizarre.

** Mostly I make more good sense that you care or are able to acknowledge.

In case you actually are that confused, which is hard to believe,
I have never been involved in producing or selling fake transistors
or any other fake parts.

** Good, I believe you.

Then explain what made you think it was clever to defend those who did ?

It was done over several posts and you were smug as hell about it.

There is nothing the *iniest bit funny* about Asian and US based criminals ripping off keen electronics hobbyists and honest repair industry folk like me.

Over to you...........

Sometimes I'm not sure which planet you're from. I do not encourage,
agree with or assist criminals who fake parts or deal in fake parts.
Never have.

** Your posts on SED a few year back re fake Motorola power BJTs were bizarre.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to
how probably all of you get parts,

** What the hell does *that* mean ???

Thornton is definitely "covering up" here.

If Google has it, I will repost what NT said on SED.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

------------------------------

way more than 2. If you've not met promotional literature that makes
claims that don't add up, I don't know where you've been hiding.

** And that is all it is - a *blurb* written hastily by some anonymous staffer using half baked information and expressed carelessly.

Problem is, the internet preseves it indefinitely when it once would have been consigned to the round filing cabinet.

Next Google's " finds needles in a haystacks " search algorithm homes in on it cos it contain a key term.

Then some dopey Google Monkey treats it like the word of god.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 1 July 2017 01:14:06 UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

-------------------------------

[...]

I see you're being more idiot than I expected.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

-------------------------------

** Your posts on SED a few year back re fake Motorola power
BJTs were bizarre.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to
how probably all of you get parts,

** What the hell does *that* mean ???

Thornton is definitely "covering up" here.

If Google has it, I will repost what NT said on SED.

I see you're being more idiot than I expected.

** Yet again you have posted something completely mysterious about purchasing components. Doing that does not make you sound one bit clever, rather it does the exact opposite.

Makes YOU look a real idiot.

FYI:

Luckily for you, Google does not seem to have the previous SED thread available.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote on 6/30/2017 11:00 PM:
wrote:

-------------------------------

** Your posts on SED a few year back re fake Motorola power
BJTs were bizarre.

Component procurement in what I do is however utterly different to
how probably all of you get parts,

** What the hell does *that* mean ???

Thornton is definitely "covering up" here.

If Google has it, I will repost what NT said on SED.

I see you're being more idiot than I expected.

** Yet again you have posted something completely mysterious about purchasing components. Doing that does not make you sound one bit clever, rather it does the exact opposite.

Makes YOU look a real idiot.

When it comes to looking like a complete idiot, Phil knows what he is
talking about.

--

Rick C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Prickman the Netstalker wrote:

------------------------------

** When it comes to looking a complete idiot, the Prickman is an expert.

It's his one and only talent.

He practices it regularly too.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 2:00:04 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:

Some LED bulbs are switch mode, usually flyback AFAICT. They are pretty
much
the same as CFLs on a triac dimmer.

http://creebulb.com/bulbfinder

We use Cree lamps where we need dimming, and in general if replacements.
We still have some few legacy LED lamps in place (stuff that came-with
other stuff), but we do not intend to dim those.

NOTE: some cheap LED lamps are very noisy in the RF range. VERY noisy,
approaching that of an unshielded ignition transformer (oil burner).

Most of the cheap LED bulbs I've cracked open were wattless dropper - they
absorb a small amount of mains borne crap.