Old June 13th 17, 01:22 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why CD laser unit fails so often?

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:54:47 AM UTC-4, Miguel Giménez wrote:

The second is very helpful, although somewhat discouraging. I'd like to
know if recent Sony spare parts are more reliable than eight years ago
or it's better to toss the devices and buy better ones (Denon?).

I don't know. At this point, I have six (6) CD changers and one single-disc player in the inventory, Five changers are Sony, including two 200-disc changers, one is a Yamaha. The single disc player is a Revox. None of them have had any laser problems over the last many years of use. One of the 200-disc changers has run for weeks at a time 24/7 as it feeds my transmitters, mostly in the winter. All the Sony devices are thrift-shop purchases for US$25 or less, so not even 'babied-from-new' as is the Yamaha, or second-owner as is the Revox.

So, I suspect some sort of user-error, installation problem, drifting focus and/or counterfeit part issues happening here. All of which are entirely possible and nothing to be ashamed over.

http://www.ralph-toman.de/cd_player_...player_eng.htm is a rather technical discussion on "how-to" do the various adjustments for various CD players that might be helpful.

Best of luck with them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old June 13th 17, 02:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 8:22:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:

So, I suspect some sort of user-error, installation problem, drifting focus and/or counterfeit part issues happening here. All of which are entirely possible and nothing to be ashamed over.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

If only. I stopped repairing CDs when the prices dropped to a certain level, but Sony lasers, at least in the lower end machines, are and were junk. Since I've bailed on repairing them many years ago, I've read stories in our private association site of other servicers still repairing them having several new Sony sleds DOA or having other issues. These are most likely aftermarket or counterfeit as I can't believe Sony would still be making replacement parts.

None of this excuses the original parts that failed in great quantity, or addresses the possibility that higher end Sony CD players (changers for instance) didn't use a better quality laser assy that were not short lived. Only by knowing production numbers and comparing them with repair statistics could we shed any light on them.

Old June 13th 17, 02:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-****-that-doesnt-14309

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi