Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Drive shaft coupler for oscilloscope controls

Hi

I have a Hameg HM-408 scope that uses extended shafts to go from the front panel to the switch / pots mounted inboard on the PCBs. These shafts are 2mm dia and the switches / pots are 4mm dia and are connected via flexible couplings.

Five of these couplings have failed and so I'm looking for suitable replacement couplings that will connect to the 2mm shaft on the control knob and onto the 4mm shaft from the pots / switches.

Can any point me in the direction of possible replacement units?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:51:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I have a Hameg HM-408 scope that uses extended shafts to go from the front panel to the switch / pots ...

Five of these couplings have failed and so I'm looking for suitable replacement couplings that will connect to the 2mm shaft on the control knob and onto the 4mm shaft from the pots / switches.

Well, H. H. Smith used to make a line of couplings (and flexible shafts). I'm uncertain where
to find them nowadays.

Most flexible couplings are intended for motor shafts, will be VERY expensive for your application.
It's possible to buy speedometer cable by the foot, and anyone with a lathe can make
epoxy-able ends for your choice of shafts. I've done that... only worthwhile for long
runs, of course.

Do these couplings just need to have compliance for minor misalignment or shaft position offset?
This kind is good for position offset
http://candycontrols.com/products/oldham-couplings/

and the universal-joint and spring types only handle angle misalignment. Two of those with
a stub shaft between is how they handle offset.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/8/2017 7:51 AM, wrote:
Hi

I have a Hameg HM-408 scope that uses extended shafts to go from the front panel to the switch / pots mounted inboard on the PCBs. These shafts are 2mm dia and the switches / pots are 4mm dia and are connected via flexible couplings.

Five of these couplings have failed and so I'm looking for suitable replacement couplings that will connect to the 2mm shaft on the control knob and onto the 4mm shaft from the pots / switches.

Can any point me in the direction of possible replacement units?

What do you mean by "failed"?

If the parts that clamp onto the shafts are good, you may get by
replacing the flexible part.
Take some flexible metal strip, or piano wire.
Bend it in a loop big enough to flex, but small enough to fit
in the space allotted. Solder it to the metal clamps.

If they're steel, solder should work.

If aluminum, there's some stuff called Welco 52.
https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...1::OR:00052-90

You won't need much, so you can buy similar stuff at most
any hardware store or big-box store without breaking the bank.

_________________________

If you can find a 2mm flexible coupling, you may be able to
just drill out one end to 4mm.

___________________________

You may be able to find a spring that will do the job.
For low-torque applications like pots, maybe a ball point pen spring
and some epoxy. If the spring is a tight fit on one end, it will slip
before the epoxy breaks on the other end...maybe...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 10:51:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi

I have a Hameg HM-408 scope that uses extended shafts to go from the front panel to the switch / pots mounted inboard on the PCBs. These shafts are 2mm dia and the switches / pots are 4mm dia and are connected via flexible couplings.

Five of these couplings have failed and so I'm looking for suitable replacement couplings that will connect to the 2mm shaft on the control knob and onto the 4mm shaft from the pots / switches.

Can any point me in the direction of possible replacement units?

How much flex do you need? Spiral cut flexible coupling might be cheap.

(As someone said you might be able to drill out one end.)

George H.