Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bedbugs In A Laptop, How High Temp ?

This is all I got, I cannot afford a new one. I can't work because of my eyesight but it isn't quite enough to give me disability, even though I would not be able to run a cash register now.

Anyway, we got hit with bedbugs. Two schools got closed over it. It was an epidemic or whatever.

Anyway, my laptop is infested. I have researched and found that when exposed to temperatures of 135 F for like 45 minutes it kills them and their eggs.. The government and the companies who do this assure us that this is safe. It probably is if not running.

I just checked the oven, the lowest it will go is 170 F. Is that safe for a non, running (at the time) computer ? Could it damage the screen if by nothing else but expansion and contraction ?

We are about to bring in new matress and whatever, but anything happening to this laptop IS NOT AN OPTION.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This is all I got, I cannot afford a new one. I can't work because of my
eyesight but it isn't quite enough to give me disability, even though I
would not be able to run a cash register now.

Anyway, we got hit with bedbugs. Two schools got closed over it. It was an
epidemic or whatever.

Anyway, my laptop is infested. I have researched and found that when
exposed to temperatures of 135 F for like 45 minutes it kills them and
their eggs. The government and the companies who do this assure us that
this is safe. It probably is if not running.

I just checked the oven, the lowest it will go is 170 F. Is that safe for
a non, running (at the time) computer ? Could it damage the screen if by
nothing else but expansion and contraction ?

We are about to bring in new matress and whatever, but anything happening
to this laptop IS NOT AN OPTION.

Consider Isopropanol, but check with the handbook first to make sure it
will not damage any plastic components such as the screen. If there are
parts of the laptop that might be harmed by liquid, leave the machine in
a sealed plastic bag with the Isopropanol soaked into an absorbent pad
underneath it and let the vapour saturate it for a day or two.

Be careful to make sure all the vapour has dispersed before switching
the machine on again, Isopropanol is very flammable and the vapour could
explode.

Usual disclaimer: at your own risk.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2017 8:18 AM, Boris Mohar wrote:
On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 01:31:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

This is all I got, I cannot afford a new one. I can't work because of my eyesight but it isn't quite enough to give me disability, even though I would not be able to run a cash register now.

Anyway, we got hit with bedbugs. Two schools got closed over it. It was an epidemic or whatever.

Anyway, my laptop is infested. I have researched and found that when exposed to temperatures of 135 F for like 45 minutes it kills them and their eggs. The government and the companies who do this assure us that this is safe. It probably is if not running.

I just checked the oven, the lowest it will go is 170 F. Is that safe for a non, running (at the time) computer ? Could it damage the screen if by nothing else but expansion and contraction ?

We are about to bring in new matress and whatever, but anything happening to this laptop IS NOT AN OPTION.

Check how professionals use dry ice for bedbugs. Saw it on TV.

The dry ice thing is interesting but, it seems to be a way to attract
them. Yes, you can kill the ones you attract, but with a bed bug
infestation it seems you need almost 100% kill otherwise they just breed
and you are right back where you started.
"An individual bed bug can lay 200 to 250 eggs in her lifetime. The eggs
hatch in about 6 to 10 days and the newly emerged bed bug nymphs seek a
blood meal."
I also found 118* for 70 minutes or 122* for 20 minutes.
I'd rig up something and do 118* for 2 hours. That seems much safer
than 138*.

Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2017 1:31 AM, wrote:
This is all I got, I cannot afford a new one. I can't work because of my eyesight but it isn't quite enough to give me disability, even though I would not be able to run a cash register now.

Anyway, we got hit with bedbugs. Two schools got closed over it. It was an epidemic or whatever.

Anyway, my laptop is infested. I have researched and found that when exposed to temperatures of 135 F for like 45 minutes it kills them and their eggs. The government and the companies who do this assure us that this is safe. It probably is if not running.

I just checked the oven, the lowest it will go is 170 F. Is that safe for a non, running (at the time) computer ? Could it damage the screen if by nothing else but expansion and contraction ?

We are about to bring in new matress and whatever, but anything happening to this laptop IS NOT AN OPTION.

I'd not use a standard oven. The cycling extremes will melt stuff.
Start with an ACCURATE thermometer that you can read with the oven door
closed.
Preheat the oven to 150 F or so then turn it off.
Let it stabilize and let it drift down to your target temperature.
May have to do this more than once to get the heat evenly distributed.
Stick a 100W incandescent light bulb in the oven and watch the
temperature. If it rises, use a smaller bulb. If it drops, use a bigger
bulb.
Or maybe a big bulb on a light dimmer.
You want the heat from the bulb to match the heat loss of the oven.

Now, you have a well-controlled temperature that doesn't have wide
swings as it cycles. I'd still not leave it unattended.
Watch the thermometer. Stuff happens.

I've done the same thing with a cardboard box, but the lack of
insulation makes it less stable.

The weakest link in a laptop is the glue that holds the conductive
strip to the display glass. You don't want that temperature to
go any higher
than absolutely necessary.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 1:21:29 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
On 4/30/2017 1:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

^^^ Best answer^^^

A large cardboard box with an incandescent clamp light will make a nice oven (or preheater for warming up multilayer boards for tough desoldering). Adjustment of the flaps or poking holes will get you where you need to be temp-wise without destroying the computer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We use a commercial food dehydrator at work to bake old magnetic tapes that get sticky from moisture absorption. I've used it to dry out electronics that got washed. The dehydrator works in 5°F steps.

How hot does it get in your car on a sunny day? Leave it in there along with a thermometer to monitor the temp.

G²
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 1 May 2017 09:30:14 UTC+1, wrote:
We use a commercial food dehydrator at work to bake old magnetic tapes that get sticky from moisture absorption. I've used it to dry out electronics that got washed. The dehydrator works in 5°F steps.

How hot does it get in your car on a sunny day? Leave it in there along with a thermometer to monitor the temp.

G²

Extreme dryness might be another option. Seal it in a bag with a bowl of salt. That kills many bugs, not all, you'd need to check for bedbugs.

The laptop could be its own heater I expect, but I'd be nervous about getting it that hot. I wouldn't do it.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04/30/2017 09:09 AM, rickman wrote:
On 4/30/2017 4:31 AM, wrote:
This is all I got, I cannot afford a new one. I can't work because of
my eyesight but it isn't quite enough to give me disability, even
though I would not be able to run a cash register now.

Anyway, we got hit with bedbugs. Two schools got closed over it. It
was an epidemic or whatever.

Anyway, my laptop is infested. I have researched and found that when
exposed to temperatures of 135 F for like 45 minutes it kills them and
their eggs. The government and the companies who do this assure us
that this is safe. It probably is if not running.

I just checked the oven, the lowest it will go is 170 F. Is that safe
for a non, running (at the time) computer ? Could it damage the screen
if by nothing else but expansion and contraction ?

We are about to bring in new matress and whatever, but anything
happening to this laptop IS NOT AN OPTION.

Why can't you treat the laptop the same way you are treating the rest of
the place?

I've never had them, thank God, but I have seen info about them and the
temperature thing is supposed to be for real. It is a way to treat your
entire apartment in fact as insecticides don't work very well. It seems
to be hard to get the chemicals into the spaces where the bugs hide.

I had a squirrel living in a corner of my garage some years ago, and it
brought bed bugs that crawled up the pipe into a bedroom. They're
miserable, but we had no problems getting rid of them using Permethrin
spray in some quantity plus diatomaceous earth swept into the cracks in
the wood floor and under the moulding.

Since you can't afford to risk the computer, I'd probably just put it
on a Permethrin-treated tray and use it like that for a few months. A
bit of permethrin on the keyboard would probably also be a win. It's
pretty safe stuff, especially when it's had a chance to dry, and it
lasts a long time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2017 4:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

It's safe for humans but far from for animals.

If you're looking for a cheap option, vapona type flykiller sticks containing dichlorvos wipe out insect life pretty well, while windows are closed. 2 of those can wipe a house clean. It is an organophosphate and banned in some places.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Depends on the animal. IIRC dogs are OK but not cats. And even a cat
would have to lick the tray pretty hard to get any exposure from dried
permethrin.

If you're looking for a cheap option, vapona type flykiller sticks
containing dichlorvos wipe out insect life pretty well, while windows
are closed. 2 of those can wipe a house clean. It is an
organophosphate and banned in some places.

Yeah, the old No-Pest Strip gizmos.

Doesn't get into the crevices that well though, I don't think.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2017 4:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

I hear that spice extracts drive them away (peppermint oil, spearmint oil, cinnamon oil, vanilla oil, etc..)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2017 4:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

Oil of Pennyroyal. Gets rid of anything. DOES NOT KILL - drives stuff away, from fleas to spiders.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 1 May 2017 15:51:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Oil of Pennyroyal. Gets rid of anything. DOES NOT KILL - drives stuff away, from fleas to spiders.

and humans. Since it invaded my garden I can't sit outside.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Not the lithium clock battery. "

In this one it is. These are some killer laptops, I bought four of them fro Global. Refurbs with Vista on them. But they are 17" wide LCD, have a full numerical pad on the right, and actually have two HD bays. How many laptops do you see with that ?

Spraying the one I was using ****ed it all up, I will not do that again. I threw the HD in this one, which I gave to my sister and she broke the screen and I replaced it from the one that had the Western Digital lockup. Don't believe me, look up on Google WD1600BEVT password and you will learn very quickly. It is a known fault and that is why I do not want to **** with the BIOS or anything.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"Not the lithium clock battery. "

In this one it is. These are some killer laptops, I bought four
of them fro Global. Refurbs with Vista on them. But they are 17"
wide LCD, have a full numerical pad on the right, and actually
have two HD bays. How many laptops do you see with that ?

Spraying the one I was using ****ed it all up, I will not do that
again. I threw the HD in this one, which I gave to my sister and
she broke the screen and I replaced it from the one that had the
Western Digital lockup. Don't believe me, look up on Google WD1600BEVT
password and you will learn very quickly. It is a known fault
and that is why I do not want to **** with the BIOS or anything.

I'm certainly not an expert at plant extracts, but I imagine that yes, some are stronger than others. But I thought that most any type would drive bugs away.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Battery could exlode. Why not just open it and find them. THey aren't THAT
small. Brush or blower. Fumigation of some sort. (THat's why smoking used to
be considered HEALTHY.) Bedbugs (often confused with micrscopic dust mites)
have a nasty feature that they can live for months on one (blood suck)
feeding, so they stay put in some hiding place.

Are you sure it is bedbugs and that they are in your laptop? Much talk about
bedbugs often is hysteria. Unlike mosquitoes or rodents, bedbugs don't
spread disease. I never stop being amazed how some folks freak out about
supposed bedbugs on the subway at the same time as rats (yes, I've seen them)
ride the subway. My dad's shop steward died of West Nile five years ago a
block from me yet my neighbors freak out about insect spraying, and they freak
out about draining the swamp (former amusement park and airport) where they
(and Sullenberger's geese) breed.

DUst mites are microscopic insects that feed on dander (skin flakes).
THeir crap is skin bits with enzyme used to digest the skin. THat enzyme can
cause nasty itches and asma if gets into lungs. It's not the insects that
directly cause problems, but the enzymes in their crap.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

with a mega Dell Vista at Canaveral Inlet, I was appawled watching roaches slither into the speaker grilles.

I was told the electronics are clear coated.

Roaches have to eat off course n leaving for the desert solved he problem.

Replacing fans found debris that does not interfere with operation via the clear coat. I guess there is a cost/insect proof curve here.

Insects are evolutionary durable. But eating is essential

Try gas. Fab or buy, a Pelican ?... leak roof box n find a not breathable not toxic gas. Afield, something like AC gas or ? just guessing.

Propane .... need to find if the gas dissolves plastic n clear coat.

Your nayborhood exterminator n electronics man will know.

leave the unit, take the covers off, in the box for 2 weeks.

then blow out the eggs with compressed air.

your basic problem was leaving the unit exposed to possible insect infiltration.

If you're in a buggy environment the laptops n equiPment go into containers n bags with insecticide.

oh yeah..... Home Depot has a gas emitter...the one I have is a sheet of white plastic housings that eliminated a common black under carpet bug from muh van.

when I pass by that area I'll look n post the brand.

PLACE UNIT IN LEAKPROOF CONTAINER ADD ALL INSECTICIDE HOUSINGS. SEAL. COME BACK 2 WEEKS.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 8 May 2017 14:38:03 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

a tealight candle makes a pretty good oxygenless gas emitter.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:38:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

the 17501E has a step by step disassembly manual online from England.

Your unit may be online back 10 pages or pursued in Google Images.

buy the correct screwdriver size.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-...tialmax&NCNI-5

find one evaps to insecticide gas
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 8 May 2017 15:15:28 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

Vapona strip type things also work, they give off insecticide whiff for months. Toxicity to different species varies according to the chemical. Organophosphates like dichlorvos are very effective.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Nice try at writing in complete sentences. Anyway, once you finished off that bucket of KFC and touched the laptop, that's probably what did it. Just like when a car mechanic touches your car wires after their lunch break ... the rats, mice and cats like your car when you get home.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The 'pro level' insecticide housings may have solvent deposited insecticide then evaping gas

Need high temp fiberglass insulation RoyJ Metalworking 8 April 25th 08 04:36 PM
High temp silicone visionset UK diy 4 September 21st 07 12:43 AM
High temp. connectors? Phil Scott Electronics Repair 2 May 1st 05 05:51 PM
High temp. connectors? Asimov Electronics Repair 1 April 27th 05 12:32 AM
Homebuilding High Temp Furnace. Roger N Metalworking 16 September 3rd 03 07:56 PM