Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Pre-war capacitor

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:29:07 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I have an old EHT PSU to repair. There are 2 capacitors, one paper, one
plywood! The paper cap, which is uncased, tests as: 420nF 11 ohms ESR,
5% loss. I've not yet done a dc leak test, which it needs. What do you
think of those figures? IME pre-war paper caps are highly suspect. I'd
rather establish what I can before subbing it, as the construction of
the whole thing is rather characterful.

I've a few boxes full of oil/paper metal-cased capacitors I could test
for comparison purposes if needs be, Tabby, but I've added s.e.r in case
some kind soul there will know the answer off the top of their heads
first.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:29:07 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I have an old EHT PSU to repair. There are 2 capacitors, one paper, one
plywood! The paper cap, which is uncased, tests as: 420nF 11 ohms ESR,
5% loss. I've not yet done a dc leak test, which it needs. What do you
think of those figures? IME pre-war paper caps are highly suspect. I'd
rather establish what I can before subbing it, as the construction of
the whole thing is rather characterful.

What, if anything, are the markings on the caps themselves?

You ought to be able to screen a modern film cap to within a very few percent of the OEM values, go high on the voltage parameters, and go from there.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Depends which war..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 28 April 2017 19:58:41 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:29:07 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I have an old EHT PSU to repair. There are 2 capacitors, one paper, one
plywood! The paper cap, which is uncased, tests as: 420nF 11 ohms ESR,
5% loss. I've not yet done a dc leak test, which it needs. What do you
think of those figures? IME pre-war paper caps are highly suspect. I'd
rather establish what I can before subbing it, as the construction of
the whole thing is rather characterful.

What, if anything, are the markings on the caps themselves?

the cap doesn't have a case, let alone markings.

You ought to be able to screen a modern film cap to within a very few percent of the OEM values, go high on the voltage parameters, and go from there.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Of course I can replace it, and probably will need to, I just wanted to know if this thing might still be serviceable, if so I'll let it stay.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 6:53:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Of course I can replace it, and probably will need to, I just wanted to know if this thing might still be serviceable, if so I'll let it stay.

The short answer is No.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Went from a single capacitor to a dual Capacitor and the fan is nowgoing in and out. [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 2nd 16 01:18 PM
How to size capacitor for capacitor run fan motor Andy[_15_] Electronics Repair 12 January 4th 10 09:38 PM
My Flux Capacitor is bigger than your Flux Capacitor. - FluxCapacitor.jpg (0/2) TralfamadoranJetPilot Electronic Schematics 0 August 19th 09 09:15 AM
capacitor swapu Home Repair 7 December 25th 08 05:53 PM
Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor Robowang Electronics Repair 13 October 18th 06 08:11 PM