DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   20,000 Watt, 5000 Lb Stereo Amplifier (Only $50,000). (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/588794-re-20-000-watt-5000-lb-stereo-amplifier-only-%2450-000-a.html)

[email protected] April 13th 17 04:10 AM

20,000 Watt, 5000 Lb Stereo Amplifier (Only $50,000).

"How many of them do they have? Are they
still trying to sell the same one? "

They must have a warehouse full of them. You know how strong the demand is. Everyone wants to put three phass power in their house right ? Around here you pay for that, not the power company. It is not cheap and is actually not available in most residential areas here.

And no mention of speakers. I am selling my Phase Linear because it blew so many speakers. What (watt) are we talking here ? A thousand speakers that can handle what, a couple thousand apiece ? That'll make you neighbors happy, and I mean even if you are on a farm.

Things like this are made for like Woodstock. Not even to be used in the city. Nice to imagine having one, but thing about the speakers.

And the cops. I have been in jail for a loud stereo. One day and actually it was not bad. But still, I would have had a better time at hoe because there was beer there.

[email protected] April 13th 17 12:31 PM

20,000 Watt, 5000 Lb Stereo Amplifier (Only $50,000).

And no mention of speakers. I am selling my Phase Linear because it blew so many speakers. What (watt) are we talking here ? A thousand speakers that can handle what, a couple thousand apiece ?

I am presently running an amp capable of 500 watts into its speakers (Citation 16 into Maggies). I can (and do) play at any volume I would care to - that is I could tolerate without ear damage - and without clipping. I have no worries about speaker damage. The Citation 16, while not quite in the Phase Linear 700B class, certainly is in the 400 class.

I use regularly two brute-force amps, both HK products (Citation 16 & 19). Again I can (and do) run *LOUD* and have never, repeat, never damaged a speaker thereby. This is not to mention the several other amp & speaker combinations in the inventory.

I suspect user-error.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Cursitor Doom[_4_] April 13th 17 11:16 PM

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 04:31:05 -0700, wrote:

I use regularly two brute-force amps, both HK products (Citation 16 &
19). Again I can (and do) run *LOUD* and have never, repeat, never
damaged a speaker thereby. This is not to mention the several other amp
& speaker combinations in the inventory.

God that must sound terrible. I would never even contemplate buying amps
made in Hong Kong (or mainland China for that matter). And I'd certainly
never admit it in a newsgroup!
I still think the best combo by far is Scandanavian amps like B&O coupled
with English speakers such as Celestion, Tannoy, KEF & so forth. YMMV.

Mike Paff April 13th 17 11:34 PM

20,000 Watt, 5000 Lb Stereo Amplifier (Only $50,000).

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:16:58 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 04:31:05 -0700, wrote:

I use regularly two brute-force amps, both HK products (Citation 16 &
19). Again I can (and do) run *LOUD* and have never, repeat, never
damaged a speaker thereby. This is not to mention the several other amp
& speaker combinations in the inventory.

God that must sound terrible. I would never even contemplate buying amps
made in Hong Kong (or mainland China for that matter). And I'd certainly
never admit it in a newsgroup!
I still think the best combo by far is Scandanavian amps like B&O coupled
with English speakers such as Celestion, Tannoy, KEF & so forth. YMMV.

HK in this case refers to Harmon Kardon, not Hong Kong.

[email protected] April 14th 17 11:57 AM

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 6:35:02 PM UTC-4, Mike Paff wrote:

HK in this case refers to Harmon Kardon, not Hong Kong.

And made in Plainfield, Long Island, New York.

The only pacific rim audio equipment I use are CD changers from Sony, Japan. The rest is US or Euro in origin.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Bitrex April 14th 17 04:38 PM

On 04/14/2017 06:57 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 6:35:02 PM UTC-4, Mike Paff wrote:

HK in this case refers to Harmon Kardon, not Hong Kong.

And made in Plainfield, Long Island, New York.

The only pacific rim audio equipment I use are CD changers from Sony, Japan. The rest is US or Euro in origin.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I used to have an Onkyo TX-2500 mk2 receiver from around 1978; I thought
it was pretty nice! for being a "low-end" Japanese receiver from that
era. Got lost in a move I think, wish I knew what happened to it...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d8/cd/9e/d8cd9e5b5eac265995e40cfd6bff35d0.jpg

[email protected] April 14th 17 06:44 PM

20,000 Watt, 5000 Lb Stereo Amplifier (Only $50,000).

NOT OVER 24k ?

https://www.google.com/#q=AMPLIFIERS...HAILERS&spf=68

I TRIED ONE AT Farragut. 9 0R 12 HORN CONES. LOUD. ACROOSS THE RIVER N THRU THE WOODS NO PROBLEM ...EXPECT THE RIG WAS PRE ADJUSTED TO NOT BREAK GLASS...PROB KOREAN SURPLUS.

PLEASED FINDING EVERYONE WAS AMUSED.