Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default iPad screen - bar in middle - anyone found a fix?

Has anyone here taken apart an iPad (original - cellular) screen to
repair the problem of a fat (1" wide) band fully across the middle of
the screen? The band runs horizontally in the normal (narrow side
horizontal, button down) position.

I have extracted the screen from the iPad, but am a little reluctant to
continue tearing it down to find the potential connection issue without
knowing what I am facing. Can't find anything so far on line for
servicing the actual LCD display.

I plan on digging into it in the near future but hope that someone here
has done so already and can provide some advice.

Thanks!

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/04/17 17:06, John Robertson wrote:
Has anyone here taken apart an iPad (original - cellular) screen to
repair the problem of a fat (1" wide) band fully across the middle of
the screen? The band runs horizontally in the normal (narrow side
horizontal, button down) position.

I have extracted the screen from the iPad, but am a little reluctant to
continue tearing it down to find the potential connection issue without
knowing what I am facing

What makes you think it's a connection issue?
More likely a problem with a driver chip, and the panel is toast.

Clifford Heath.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 3:07:03 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
Has anyone here taken apart an iPad (original - cellular) screen to
repair the problem of a fat (1" wide) band fully across the middle of
the screen? The band runs horizontally in the normal (narrow side
horizontal, button down) position.

I have extracted the screen from the iPad, but am a little reluctant to
continue tearing it down to find the potential connection issue without
knowing what I am facing. Can't find anything so far on line for
servicing the actual LCD display.

I plan on digging into it in the near future but hope that someone here
has done so already and can provide some advice.

Thanks!

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

Other than the plug that mates the display to the board, there are no other serviceable connections. Try a little contact cleaner in the socket or clean the ribbon (if that's what it uses).

Any other connection on the screen proper is going to be of the bonded variety and not serviceable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2017/04/06 12:57 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 06/04/17 17:06, John Robertson wrote:
Has anyone here taken apart an iPad (original - cellular) screen to
repair the problem of a fat (1" wide) band fully across the middle of
the screen? The band runs horizontally in the normal (narrow side
horizontal, button down) position.

I have extracted the screen from the iPad, but am a little reluctant to
continue tearing it down to find the potential connection issue without
knowing what I am facing

What makes you think it's a connection issue?
More likely a problem with a driver chip, and the panel is toast.

Clifford Heath.

I wasn't sure if it was a connection issue or not, but it does flicker.
Indeed it could well be a driver chip that is built into the screen and
I imagine that is irrepairable. I just haven't poked inside one of these
displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

It appears I have nothing to loose by trying to open the screen up
further so wish me luck!

I have tried reseating the connector to the motherboard so have
eliminated that as a suspect.

If I have any success I will report back - silence means the screen is
toasted and I won't waste anyone's reading time further.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

I just haven't poked inside one of these
displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

John-

Back up the old iPad. Purchase a working identical iPad, and restore
from the backup.

Your Grand-Daughters will think you are a genius!

Fred

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2017/04/06 9:53 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

I just haven't poked inside one of these
displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

John-

Back up the old iPad. Purchase a working identical iPad, and restore
from the backup.

Your Grand-Daughters will think you are a genius!

Fred

If I wasn't so cheap...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

I just haven't poked inside one of these
displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

John-

Back up the old iPad. Purchase a working identical iPad, and restore
from the backup.

Your Grand-Daughters will think you are a genius!

Fred

If I wasn't so cheap...

The LCDs may be available cheap on eBay. ;-) Looks like about $30.
Perhaps that's not cheap enough though.....

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

I just haven't poked inside one of these
displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

John-

Back up the old iPad. Purchase a working identical iPad, and restore
from the backup.

Your Grand-Daughters will think you are a genius!

Fred

If I wasn't so cheap...

The LCDs may be available cheap on eBay. ;-) Looks like about $30.
Perhaps that's not cheap enough though.....

Those are for minis, not 1st gen. iPads.

John ;-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Didn't you get the memo ? You are required to pull out that credit card and buy a new phone at their whim. That is all there is to it. They can also disable your software whenever they fell like it.

If you want the service, they own you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

I just haven't poked inside one of these
displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

John-

Back up the old iPad. Purchase a working identical iPad, and restore
from the backup.

Your Grand-Daughters will think you are a genius!

Fred

If I wasn't so cheap...

The LCDs may be available cheap on eBay. ;-) Looks like about $30.
Perhaps that's not cheap enough though.....

Those are for minis, not 1st gen. iPads.

Perhaps eBay: 322381337888 .

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

iPad 2 Bill[_18_] UK diy 25 June 24th 11 01:04 AM
T+G Joint From Wreck Discussion - Close Up Of Middle Of Joint Line - Middle Of Joint Line From Above.jpg (1/1) Tom Watson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 26th 08 02:39 AM
T+G Joint From Wreck Discussion - Close Up Of Middle Of Joint Line - Middle Of Joint Line From Above.jpg (0/1) Tom Watson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 26th 08 02:39 AM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 09:14 PM
Gloat! Found some wood in the middle of the road! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 25 March 30th 05 04:02 AM