Posted to sci.electronics.repair
OOO OOO is offline

Default Cable Repair

USB Phone cord.
Molded connectors.

At phone end, cable cracked all around at end of strain relief.
Interior wires are OK.

Cannot get shrink tube over connectors of correct size to facilitate repair.

What is the best way to repair this?

Trying to keep at least 2/3 of strain relief at connector flexible.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:23:53 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 14/03/17 17:28, OOO wrote:
USB Phone cord.
Molded connectors.

At phone end, cable cracked all around at end of strain relief.
Interior wires are OK.

Cannot get shrink tube over connectors of correct size to facilitate
repair.

What is the best way to repair this?

Trying to keep at least 2/3 of strain relief at connector flexible.

Sugru

https://sugru.com
https://sugru.com/tech-gadget/how-to-repair-a-usb-charger-cable
Agreed, but somewhat expensive.

I use hot melt glue when I don't care if it flexes. If I want flex, I
use RTV (silicon rubber), Awsome Goo (hard to find), or Shoe Goo.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

wrote:

On 14/03/17 17:28, OOO wrote:
USB Phone cord.
Molded connectors.

At phone end, cable cracked all around at end of strain relief.
Interior wires are OK.

Cannot get shrink tube over connectors of correct size to facilitate
repair.

What is the best way to repair this?

Trying to keep at least 2/3 of strain relief at connector flexible.

Sugru

https://sugru.com
https://sugru.com/tech-gadget/how-to-repair-a-usb-charger-cable
Agreed, but somewhat expensive.

I use hot melt glue when I don't care if it flexes. If I want flex, I
use RTV (silicon rubber), Awsome Goo (hard to find), or Shoe Goo.

Shoe Goo and regular Goop (nearly the same thing) work great, as Jeff
says, and, if you spit on your fingers, you can mold the stuff neatly
around the wire to make a nice strain relief.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 14/03/2017 17:28, OOO wrote:
USB Phone cord.
Molded connectors.

At phone end, cable cracked all around at end of strain relief.
Interior wires are OK.

Cannot get shrink tube over connectors of correct size to facilitate
repair.

What is the best way to repair this?

Trying to keep at least 2/3 of strain relief at connector flexible.

hotmelt glue roughly wrapped around, when cooled , heatshrink sleeving
over connector and cord and reheat ,then cut away surplus ooze when cool