DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........ (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/587248-0-zero-ohm-resistors-wtf.html)

Benderthe.evilrobot March 17th 17 09:17 PM

0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, MJC wrote:

In article ,
says...

At least single transistors could be unsoldered and tested. When I
used them for some projects that I built, I always put them in
sockets.

There's also the problem that at the speeds stuff works at these days,
the extra spacing is electrically significant.

I remember playing with a tunnel diode in the 1960s when they were
commercially available and they were quite difficult to stop
oscillating!

I think that accounts for why in hobby circles, their attraction was
mostly as an oscillator. "WIreless mics", QRP transmitters on the amateur
six metre band, oscillator/mixer in various receiver circuits. Offhand, I
can't remember much of their use as amplifiers in hobby circles.

The hobby magazines of that era were full of TD bugs.

Benderthe.evilrobot March 17th 17 09:19 PM

0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

"Robert Roland" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 21:11:57 -0000, MJC
wrote:

One ohm is brown, black, gold.

Zero ohm should be black, black, any.

Are you saying that approximately zero is good enough?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the third band is the
multiplier, and since the two first bands are zero,

I've never seen any with more than 1 black band round the middle.

Benderthe.evilrobot March 17th 17 09:24 PM

0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 13:13:56 -0600,
wrote:

According to this chart (and others like it), One Ohm is black -black -
black...

No, that is not correct. Notice that the fourth band says
"multiplier".

The chart shows four bands plus tolerance, which means three digits
plus a multiplier, plus tolerance.

You multiply the first three bands with the multiplier value. Since
the three first bands in your example are all zero, you must multiply
zero by one ohm, which is still zero.

An easy way to remember how the multiplier band works, is to think of
it as "number of zeroes".

While it does say multiplier, it is not the traditional 'multiply any
number by zero and you get zero. It is more like the number of zeros to
put at the end. That is why a red red black is 22 ohms and not zero
ohms.

"multiplier" is a bit misleading - specifically its the number of zeros that
follow the preceding group of numerical digits.