DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Correct name for Test lead plugs (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/587245-correct-name-test-lead-plugs.html)

[email protected] March 10th 17 01:08 AM

Correct name for Test lead plugs

What is the correct name for the old style test lead plugs that used to
be used on older inexpensive VOMs? They were NOT banana plugs. They
were thinner. Same size as the test probes, but much shorter.

I need to get a few of these for some older test gear, but I am not sure
what to search for....

Thanks

John Robertson March 10th 17 01:36 AM

On 2017/03/09 5:08 PM, wrote:
What is the correct name for the old style test lead plugs that used to
be used on older inexpensive VOMs? They were NOT banana plugs. They
were thinner. Same size as the test probes, but much shorter.

I need to get a few of these for some older test gear, but I am not sure
what to search for....

Thanks

I always called those "Pin Plugs".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-2100-New-...-/400546944888

I searched for "pin plug test lead -banana"

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

[email protected] March 10th 17 02:25 AM

Correct name for Test lead plugs

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:36:25 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2017/03/09 5:08 PM, wrote:
What is the correct name for the old style test lead plugs that used to
be used on older inexpensive VOMs? They were NOT banana plugs. They
were thinner. Same size as the test probes, but much shorter.

I need to get a few of these for some older test gear, but I am not sure
what to search for....

Thanks

I always called those "Pin Plugs".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-2100-New-...-/400546944888

I searched for "pin plug test lead -banana"

John :-#)#

Thats what I called them too, but I did not think that was the
"official" name.

Thanks

analogdial March 10th 17 05:04 PM

wrote:

Thats what I called them too, but I did not think that was the
"official" name.

Thanks

Look for "tip plugs" and "tip jacks".

John Robertson March 10th 17 06:50 PM

On 2017/03/10 9:04 AM, analogdial wrote:
wrote:

Thats what I called them too, but I did not think that was the
"official" name.

Thanks

Look for "tip plugs" and "tip jacks".

Ah, better name!

Oh course I've never quite figured out why Banana plugs are named after
the banana, they don't actually look much like a banana. More like a
zucchini. Its the curve that is in the banana but not the jack!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Foxs Mercantile March 10th 17 07:08 PM

On 3/10/2017 12:50 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Oh course I've never quite figured out why Banana plugs
are named after the banana.

Because of the four spring strips on the side look like
banana peels.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Phil Hobbs March 11th 17 03:58 PM

wrote:

Thats what I called them too, but I did not think that was the
"official" name.

Thanks

Look for "tip plugs" and "tip jacks".

Ah, better name!

Oh course I've never quite figured out why Banana plugs are named after
the banana, they don't actually look much like a banana. More like a
zucchini. Its the curve that is in the banana but not the jack!

John :-#)#

It's the peel splitting into four AFAIR.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs