Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lubuntu Linux - moving files only half works.

Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred as
many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing that
they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space on the HDD is only
showing about 5Gb - I did try emptying the trash folder, but no result
there.

It seemed to work OK till the HDD got full, since the problem started; I've
been careful to make sure I'm paying attention when I click "move" and not
"copy", and I double checked that the top bar says "moving".

This looks a lot like a bug in Lubuntu!

Thanks for any help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message
Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred as
many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing that
they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space on the HDD is only
showing about 5Gb - I did try emptying the trash folder, but no result
there.

It seemed to work OK till the HDD got full, since the problem started;
I've been careful to make sure I'm paying attention when I click "move"
and not "copy", and I double checked that the top bar says "moving".

This looks a lot like a bug in Lubuntu!

Thanks for any help.

I think just about everything in Linux only half works.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phoena Greene wrote:

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
message ...
Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred as
many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing
that they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space on the HDD is
only showing about 5Gb - I did try emptying the trash folder, but no
result there.

Probably if the transfer fails, it doesn't remove the files from the source.
It wants to make SURE the files on the stick are safe before removing the
old ones. That makes good sense!

It seemed to work OK till the HDD got full, since the problem started;
I've been careful to make sure I'm paying attention when I click "move"
and not "copy", and I double checked that the top bar says "moving".

This looks a lot like a bug in Lubuntu!

Thanks for any help.

I think just about everything in Linux only half works.

Well, while there have been a few issues over the years, I've been using
some version of Linux as my main desktop for almost 20 years! I also have a
number of devices that are run by PCs (or Beagle Bones) running Linux.
My family is almost exclusively running Linux for general email, web
browsing, writing papers for school, etc.

Works for me.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jon Elson prodded the keyboard with:

Well, while there have been a few issues over the years, I've been
using some version of Linux as my main desktop for almost 20 years!
I also have a number of devices that are run by PCs (or Beagle
Bones) running Linux. My family is almost exclusively running Linux
for general email, web browsing, writing papers for school, etc.

Works for me.

Jon

I've been running Linux since my wife bought me a book with Yggdrasil
Linux bound into it, about 1994/5. In those days you had to compile
everything yourself. Fun times...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Il giorno martedì 7 marzo 2017 21:14:26 UTC+1, Baron ha scritto:
Jon Elson prodded the keyboard with:

Well, while there have been a few issues over the years, I've been
using some version of Linux as my main desktop for almost 20 years!
I also have a number of devices that are run by PCs (or Beagle
Bones) running Linux. My family is almost exclusively running Linux
for general email, web browsing, writing papers for school, etc.

Works for me.

Jon

I've been running Linux since my wife bought me a book with Yggdrasil
Linux bound into it, about 1994/5. In those days you had to compile
everything yourself. Fun times...

half a day to compile the kernel
and then you found out that you forgot to include a driver, so it didn't boot.

Bye Jack

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Do not use a long extension wire for the USB.

mark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Phoena Greene wrote:

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
message ...
Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred
as
many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing
that they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space on the HDD is
only showing about 5Gb - I did try emptying the trash folder, but no
result there.

Probably if the transfer fails, it doesn't remove the files from the
source.
It wants to make SURE the files on the stick are safe before removing the
old ones. That makes good sense!

Near as I can tell; its a file size issue - and probably the NTFS USB stick
causing the mischief.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Do not use a long extension wire for the USB.

mark

WTF?!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/08/2017 09:28 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message ...
Phoena Greene wrote:

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
message ...
Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred as
many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing
that they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space on the HDD is
only showing about 5Gb - I did try emptying the trash folder, but no
result there.

Probably if the transfer fails, it doesn't remove the files from the source.
It wants to make SURE the files on the stick are safe before removing the
old ones. That makes good sense!

Near as I can tell; its a file size issue - and probably the NTFS USB stick causing the mischief.

did you unmount the usb stick manually as root,
or sync, so the stuff got actually written out?

They had an issue once when the files got damaged when you just unplugged the stick.
It was related to how their drive cache works. Maybe no one ever
figured out how to fix it. They do tend to add layers of script and candy to obfuscate those issues.

check dmesg for kernel warnings/errors
(not the file, type dmesg on the bash prompt)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Do not use a long extension wire for the USB.

It shouldn't matter anymore should it? What if the USB extension is over 100'? Do you need extra resistance for the USB load side pins?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Phoena Greene wrote:

[...]

Only need one more for a
hat-trick............................................. .....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

e quoted text -
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Do not use a long extension wire for the USB.

It shouldn't matter anymore should it? What if the USB extension is over
100'? Do you need extra resistance for the USB load side pins?

That would exceed the length specification for USB cables, which is five
meters. They do sell longer cables with a 'repeater', but there are still
limits.

I'm still wondering why anyone would use an extension cable to plug a USB
stick into a computer.

Maybe an old tower case with no front sockets and stashed under the
desk

There are a myriad of devices that can go into USB ports, many just for recharging only.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Do not use a long extension wire for the USB.

It shouldn't matter anymore should it? What if the USB extension is
over 100'? Do you need extra resistance for the USB load side pins?

That would exceed the length specification for USB cables, which is
five meters. They do sell longer cables with a 'repeater', but there
are still limits.

I'm still wondering why anyone would use an extension cable to plug a
USB stick into a computer.

Maybe an old tower case with no front sockets and stashed under the
desk......................................

Maybe a webcam used as a security camera, or any of hundreds of
other USB devices. That's why it's called the 'Universal Serial Bus'.
This computer came with eight USB ports, then I added a card with
another four to eliminate an external hub.

I also have a long USB to USB cable made to transfer files from one PC
to another. It replaced the old Laplink cable that used the Parallel ports.

Here is a handy program that helps you identify registered USB
devices that have been connected to your computer

32 bit:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip

64 bit:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip