Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default This is going to be painful

I have been looking at the caps in my Eico 320 signal generator. I know
I need to recap it, but the thought of removing all these old paper/wax
caps that say "Made in the USA" and tossing them in the trash is going
to be very painful. Especially when I know all the new ones will be made
in China, coated with some lifeless plastic, totally lacking any charm.

And they are all brand name Aerovox, except one called Tiger, (Those are
rare). And the electrolytic is a Cornell Dubilier. Great American names
from the good old days, and I hate tossing history in the trash.... (not
to mention that the wax ones are clean and still look brand new).

But I know that once I put the case back on the chassis, I wont see the
ugly words "made in China" on them.....

Ah Hell, I'll replace them, but I know they wont go in the trash. Maybe
there is some form of art that can be made from them....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

** It ought to be a joy, as the piles of crap are totally ****ed.

Especially when I know all the new ones will be made
in China, coated with some lifeless plastic, totally lacking
any charm.

** ROTFL - is this pathetic old fool for real ?

And they are all brand name Aerovox, except one called Tiger, (Those are
rare). And the electrolytic is a Cornell Dubilier. Great American names
from the good old days, and I hate tossing history in the trash.... (not
to mention that the wax ones are clean and still look brand new).

** Hey why not stick them on Ebay - and have some ever dumber fool than you by them.

But I know that once I put the case back on the chassis, I wont see the
ugly words "made in China" on them.....

** FFS, you boring, pain in the arse old fart - caps never have those words printed on them.

Ah Hell, I'll replace them, but I know they wont go in the trash. Maybe
there is some form of art that can be made from them....

** You ought to cremate them - and offer the smoke up to the gods.

FFS: what a ****ing idiot.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2017/02/18 3:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

What hard core old radio restorers do is remove the guts of old caps,
insert a new one, then melt beeswax on the ends to seal them in. They
then look like originals...

Of course it would be a REAL good idea to put a sticker inside the
device saying what was done in case someone runs into it in twenty years
and figures the thing was never recapped and rips out all the carefully
restored caps...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:18:23 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2017/02/18 3:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a lot of work, and I doubt I will do it. However, how
would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that? The only thing
I can think of would be to use a drill press, (at a very low speed). But
maybe there is a better way.

Of course it would be a REAL good idea to put a sticker inside the
device saying what was done in case someone runs into it in twenty years
and figures the thing was never recapped and rips out all the carefully
restored caps...

John :-#)#

Yea, that is probably a good idea....

--

One other thing, does anyone know if there is a place that sells the
pointers for test gear? I bet there is a need. That old plastic seems

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 13:14:26 -0600, Foxs Mercantile wrote:

On 2/18/2017 12:58 PM, wrote:
However, how would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that?

Hot air gun.
Heat it up until the wax runs, hold the tube and pull the guts out by
the lead.

snip

You can also use a toaster oven at the lowest setting that will melt the
wax or use a heat lamp. I have used both methods successfully.

BTW Aerovox and Cornell Dubilier are both still in business:
http://www.aerovox.com/
http://www.cde.com/

Other old time names that are still with us include:
Illinois Capacitor http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/
Vishay http://www.vishay.com/. They have also acquired a number of other
old brands.
Bourns http://www.bourns.com/, who also acquired old brands.
Carling http://www.carlingtech.com/
E-T-A https://www.e-t-a.com
Eaton http://www.eaton.com/
Littelfuse http://www.littelfuse.com/
Amphenol http://www.amphenol.com/
Brim http//brimelectronics.com/
Keystone http://www.keyelco.com/
Molex http://www.molex.com/
Pomona http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/
Switchcraft http://www.switchcraft.com/
3M http://www.3m.com/
Vector https://www.vectorelect.com/
Mueller http://muellerelectric.com/
Grayhill http://www.grayhill.com/
Bliley http://www.bliley.com/
CTS http://www.ctscorp.com/
International Crystal http://www.icmfg.com/
Jan Crystals http://www.jancrystals.com/
Bud http://www.budind.com/
Davies Molding http://www.daviesmolding.com/
Premier Metal Product http://premiermetal.com/
Ohmite http://www.ohmite.com/
Triad http://www.triadmagnetics.com/
Stancor http://www.stancor.com/
Hoyt http://hoytmeter.com/
Simpson http://www.simpsonelectric.com/
Triplett http://www.triplett.com/
Dialight http://www.dialight.com/
Amperite http://www.amperite.com/
Coto Technology http://cotorelay.com/
Guardian http://www.guardian-electric.com/
EBY http://www.ebyelectro.com/
Daburn http://www.daburn.com/
Pico Electronics http://www.picoelectronics.com/
Staco http://www.stacoenergy.com/
Alpha Wire http://www.alphawire.com/
Belden http://www.belden.com/

I excluded companies whose names are still around but have obviously been
acquired by another company. It's possible that some of the ones I
listed have been merged but it isn't obvious from their web site. I'm
sure that there are more old timers than these but I only did a quick
search.

Another old time company, this time Japanese, but still around:
Calrad http://www.calrad.com/

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2/18/2017 12:58 PM, wrote:
However, how would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that?

Hot air gun.
Heat it up until the wax runs, hold the tube and pull the guts out by
the lead.

snip

You can also use a toaster oven at the lowest setting that will melt the
wax or use a heat lamp. I have used both methods successfully.

BTW Aerovox and Cornell Dubilier are both still in business:
http://www.aerovox.com/
http://www.cde.com/

Other old time names that are still with us include:
Amphenol http://www.amphenol.com/

Amphenol sold off their older connectors to WPI, who was later
bought by 'The Cooper Group'.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2/18/2017 12:58 PM, wrote:
However, how would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that?

Hot air gun.
Heat it up until the wax runs, hold the tube and pull the guts out by
the lead.

snip

You can also use a toaster oven at the lowest setting that will melt the
wax or use a heat lamp. I have used both methods successfully.

BTW Aerovox and Cornell Dubilier are both still in business:
http://www.aerovox.com/
http://www.cde.com/

Other old time names that are still with us include:
Amphenol http://www.amphenol.com/

Amphenol sold off their older connectors to WPI, who was later bought by
'The Cooper Group'.

Don't they make soldering guns? I seem to recall a Cooper Group bought
Weller at some point.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2/18/2017 12:58 PM, wrote:
However, how would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that?

Hot air gun.
Heat it up until the wax runs, hold the tube and pull the guts out by
the lead.

snip

You can also use a toaster oven at the lowest setting that will melt the
wax or use a heat lamp. I have used both methods successfully.

BTW Aerovox and Cornell Dubilier are both still in business:
http://www.aerovox.com/
http://www.cde.com/

Other old time names that are still with us include:
Amphenol http://www.amphenol.com/

Amphenol sold off their older connectors to WPI, who was later
bought by 'The Cooper Group'.

Don't they make soldering guns? I seem to recall a Cooper Group
bought Weller at some point.

Weller, Xcelite, Crescent Tools and many other companies.

It looks like Cooper has been bought by Apoex Tools:

http://www.apextoolgroup.com/brands-faceting/handtool

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

wrote:

On 2017/02/18 3:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

There's a *VERY* faint possibility you could spiral the foil out from the
middle. Done carefully enough, you might avoid wrinkling the outer cardboard
sleeve.

If most of the wax/paper caps look reasonably clean; I'd consider checking
them with an earth leakage tester such as a Megger, but you have to watch
voltage ratings.

Disguising new caps with old cases is hard work, so any old ones you can
save..............

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1702201258320.22838@darkstar. example.org...

On 2/18/2017 12:58 PM, wrote:
However, how would someone remove the guts from an old cap like that?

Hot air gun.
Heat it up until the wax runs, hold the tube and pull the guts out by
the lead.

snip

You can also use a toaster oven at the lowest setting that will melt the
wax or use a heat lamp. I have used both methods successfully.

BTW Aerovox and Cornell Dubilier are both still in business:
http://www.aerovox.com/
http://www.cde.com/

Other old time names that are still with us include:
Amphenol http://www.amphenol.com/

Amphenol sold off their older connectors to WPI, who was later bought
by 'The Cooper Group'.

Don't they make soldering guns? I seem to recall a Cooper Group bought
Weller at some point.

A company I worked for bought out a competitor and stacked all the stuff
they didn't want on a loading bay with a sign; "help yourself" - I won a big
box of Weller irons that had been taken to bits.

That kept me going a couple of decades and I had a few surplus to sell - by
the time I had to start buying new spares, Cooper Tools had taken over. It
seems the bean counters had decided that quality and reliability were an
unnecessary extravagance. The first thing I noticed was shoddy plating on
the tip where its inside the element tube, the plating peels so copper oxide
forms - it compacts so you can't remove the faulty tip without wrecking the
element.

In the end, I bought a brand new Weller TCP-1 - the stat didn't even last a
whole week. They sent a replacement no questions asked, which lasted nearly
a month - the iron was unattended when it failed and the element burned out.

The Antex XS-25 was chosen as a temporary to tide me over because it was
cheap enough to regard as a consumable - I've been using their products ever
since.