Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

Default Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountainsthis week

On 2/13/2017 7:28 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

snip

Driver error.

that's what i said. stupid driver syndrome.

unfortunately, he's still driving and putting others in danger.

Now that you have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference
between stupidity, carelessness, and ignorance, what mnore are you
showing us.
No don't bother.

--
PeterN
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 05:00:31 -0500, micky
wrote:

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

Temporary concrete "Jersey" highway barriers:
http://www.belson.com/Concrete-Security-Barriers-Highway
It's a convenient place to anchor the tarps. However, putting all
that weight on a crumbling roadway does not seem like a good idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sun, 12 Feb 2017 20:46:00 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/12/2017 8:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Do people actually drive in New York city? Must have been quite a
change for him.

The natives of the City and its environs, only do so when necessary. At
least not during the rush hour.

One time I drove from Brooklyn to the Upper West Side during rush hour
without getting stuck in traffic once. I think this might have been
when part of the Westside Highway was closed too, because I suppose I
would have taken that if it were open. . I'm not sure I remember how,
but I think I went west to avoid the Holland tunnel traffic, then east
for a one way avenue, then west again to avoid Lincoln Tunnel traffic,
and then to 10th Avenue / Amsterdam Avenue and up to 86th St.

I knew how to park for cheap at the Fulton Fish Market too, which was
open until about 8:30AM and had room after that. Although eventually
they moved the fish market to the Bronx.

New York City news report:
We have bad news and good news to report. The bad news is that the
world will end tomorrow. The good news is that alternate side of the
street parking regulations have been suspended.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:35:22 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Possibly speeding. Look at the photo at:
http://hips.htvapps.com/htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/van4-1486694623.jpg?crop=0.998xw:1.00xh;0.00173xw,0&res ize=4500:*
Notice how the van has literally plowed into the opposite side of the
gully. If he were going slower, the van would have gone over nose
down, and possibly ended up vertically, or fallen over on its top.
However, I'm guessing. The driver was lucky.

This is a good point that, if he had just edged over the cliff, he'd likely
have gone down nose first.

He had momentum, it seems possible.

Mine went out for more than 5 minutes perhaps 4 times. The longest
was about 2 hrs.

The PG&E crew out here knows me by name! I talk to them as they park their
trucks on the side roads. I have their cell numbers! What happens, they
tell me, is that have "isolators" and "fuses".

The fuses are literally fuses. THey have to be manually replaced.
The isolators are circuit breakers that go out for short periods of time
(like less than 30 seconds). They have 3 trip points:
a) If a tree branch hits the wires, causing a short, they trip.
b) They wait a short period of time, and go back on
c) That can happen a second time
d) The third time, they shut off completely.

So, often you'll get 30-second outages out here, which is what the PG&E
guys tell me. The way to tell is to call it in as a "real" outage. They
actually call you back since you're the ONLY one reporting the real outage.
They check their software, which shows that it only tripped at the source.
So if you have a real outage, then it's just you. That's why they call you
back.

Its' a great way to get to know the PG&E guys.

The reason I *though* the power was out was because I could hear my
generator, but it turns out my generator runs longer than 30 seconds when
the power is only out for 30 seconds. SO they told me to look at the smart
meter before calling.

Facts? We don't do no stinkin facts. This is the land of opinions,
feelings, and progress through meditation.

yup. Global warming. Energy Crisis. Trumpism. All disasters in California
due to politics alone.

Isn't that the same river that washed out Highway 9 last week?

Yes, but that was in Boulder Creek, 15 miles to the north.

Thanks. I saw Sanborn all washed out. Entire cliffs wiped out all three
trails going into Lake Ranch (which is directly on top of the San Andreas
fault line).

There is no way to get a vehicle into Lake Ranch at the moment even though
it has three access roads. All three are gone at some point (multiple
points in two of the three).

I'm not sure what the plastic is supposed to do:
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

Keep the rain and runoff from further eroding the hillside. However,
it won't do anything for underground rivers and springs.

They put some of that plastic on the roads I use to get home. I think it's
wishful thinking. What they did was put asphalt on top of the plastic (to
hold it down). I doubt it will stop much since the slumping is from below.

We have been getting horizontal rain over on the Loma side of things.

I hate when that happens. It ruins my rainfall measurements because
the rain misses the rain gauge.

All you have to do is turn the rain gauge sideways!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:24:14 +0100, android wrote:

He could be right. The undermined paving, covered with mud probably
collapsed under the weight of the car...

That's an interesting observation.
Maybe the road was still there when he drove over it, and maybe it dropped
out from under him?

I'm sure if someone was there before him who might have reported it as a
collapse, then that didn't happen, but I don't know if that's the case.

So, at this point, it's possible that there "was" a road there when he
drove on it, and it collapsed out from under him, I guess.

Either way, let's hope he's learned how to deal with the mountains.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 20:39:32 -0500, PeterN wrote:

Not at all. In fact I was expressly stating that they should not be
Photoshopped. Your posting came just at the point that the Duck and I
were having a discussion about Photoshopping images. The gist of which
is that he and I shoot for different purposes.

Thanks for explaining 'cuz I wasn't sure so I apologize if I auto-completed
incorrectly.

I once read that almost all (and that means almost all) images are "touched
up" to some extent when published in paper print media. Apparently almost
not a single photo isn't changed to some extent.

This one certainly looked out of place, since the blue van had not a spot
of mud on it, and it was shiny and clean and not all crumpled up (only one
small dent in the roof).

So it certainly seemed out of place.
Plus the angle of the best shot was from the air (unless there is a road
across from where the accident occurred).

So, I agree, it *looked* photoshopped.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:44:24 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yet, we have to pay for road signs to tell us to conserve water while we're
driving.

It's a conspiracy to make you thirsty so that you'll drop into an
overpriced convenience store for something to drink.

My point is those are emergency road signs.
What are they for?
Why do we pay for them?

Originally they went in for amber alert and traffic conditions, and road
closure purposes. Which is fine.

But when they start putting on signs saying "brush your teeth", then they
went too far.

Basically, they're abusing the signs, is my point, by even mentioning
water, because (a) it's not a roadside emergency that we can do anything
about while driving, and (b) it's not gonna make a difference since
agriculture is what uses almost all the water (not homes).

It's a political farce.

Hardly. It's the current reality. Government believes that you need
to be told what to do and what not to do.

The government is welcome to tell me, but they can do it with mailings and
news and print, not emergency roadside signs.

What's next on those signs? "Wash behind your ears?"

That's what laws are all
about. You need to be told how to behave because otherwise, you might
go around leaving the water running, or commit some other crime
against the environment. Just salute as you drive by the sign and
you'll be all right.

Every time I see those stupid drought messages, I tell my kids how dumb the
gob'ment is, and how they abuse EVERYTHING so the only solution is not to
give them the power to abuse things.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 19:16:43 -0600, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It's a political farce.

A quick search. Public Policy Institute of California.
http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=1108

Thanks for that reference.
Based on a quick read of that reference, the political farce behind those
idiotic road signs is even worse than I had thought.

"Approximately nine million acres of farmland in California are irrigated,
representing roughly 80% of all water used for businesses and homes."

"Total urban water use has been falling even as the population grows. Even
before the latest drought, per capita water use had declined
significantly?from 232 gallons per day in 1995 to 178 gallons per day in
2010?reflecting substantial efforts to reduce water"

The "urban" use is what those road signs target.
I feel they're a political farce because:
a) These are freaking emergency road signs - not political placards
b) We homeowners aren't the ones using the water (we use only 10%!)
c) There's nothing more we can do (we have cut back tremendously already!)
d) There's nothing we can do while driving in our cars!

What galls me is that we PAY for those road signs, which serve an emergency
purpose for safety roadway and amber-alert reasons (where license plates an
and make/model/color of perpetrator's vehicles are posted which we can do
something about while driving).

But the idiotic state employees use those emergency signs for freaking
drought purposes, which is not a roadside emergency which has anything to
do with highways and which anyone can do anything about while driving and
which isn't appropriate.

It's all a political abuse of power for political purposes.
(They want us to "feel" the drought, even though we're not the problem.)
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Stijn De Jong wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:24:14 +0100, android wrote:

He could be right. The undermined paving, covered with mud probably
collapsed under the weight of the car...

That's an interesting observation.
Maybe the road was still there when he drove over it, and maybe it dropped
out from under him?

That was that that I wrote...

I'm sure if someone was there before him who might have reported it as a
collapse, then that didn't happen, but I don't know if that's the case.

So, at this point, it's possible that there "was" a road there when he
drove on it, and it collapsed out from under him, I guess.

Either way, let's hope he's learned how to deal with the mountains.

Oki...
--
teleportation kills
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

Temporary concrete "Jersey" highway barriers:
http://www.belson.com/Concrete-Security-Barriers-Highway
It's a convenient place to anchor the tarps. However, putting all
that weight on a crumbling roadway does not seem like a good idea.

No, it doesn't. Maybe the idea is to be sure it takes the plastic down
the hill when the road gives way.

Did you or someone imply that some pictures on the web had location data
that you or I could extract? And then go to the place.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 18:12:58 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong
wrote:

We have been getting horizontal rain over on the Loma side of things.

I hate when that happens. It ruins my rainfall measurements because
the rain misses the rain gauge.

All you have to do is turn the rain gauge sideways!

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/181263/rain-measurement-with-wind-blowing
http://novalynx.com/store/pc/260-952-Alter-Type-Wind-Screen-8p225.htm
I thought they were to discourage birds from sitting on the rain gauge
rim and from dumping their load into the funnel. However, it won't do
anything for horizontal rainfall.

Another problem is where someone located the rain collector on the
apex of a hip roof. Wind blowing perpendicular to the roof will
create an updraft, causing the rain to "fall" upwards. I've watched
it happen.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

Temporary concrete "Jersey" highway barriers:
http://www.belson.com/Concrete-Security-Barriers-Highway
It's a convenient place to anchor the tarps. However, putting all
that weight on a crumbling roadway does not seem like a good idea.

No, it doesn't.

No, it doesn't what? Doesn't anchor the tarps or doesn't seem like a
good idea? Please eschew posting ambiguous obfuscations.

Maybe the idea is to be sure it takes the plastic down
the hill when the road gives way.

Nope. Might be a trampoline to catch erratically driven vans trying
to jump the gap. Hard to tell, but it does look like a fun ride.

Did you or someone imply that some pictures on the web had location data
that you or I could extract? And then go to the place.

Guilty as charged. That was me.

Most web photos do NOT have EXIF information. I use Irfanview for
photo editing. It also has an EXIF viewer and editor built in with
links to various mapping sites.
http://www.irfanview.com
You'll need both the program and the plugins. Save the image to your
machine, feed it to Irfanview, hit "I" (for information), and you can
figure out the rest. I couldn't find a decent video or tutorial so
here's what it should look like:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/EXIF%20Info.jpg
Use the buttons at the bottom for mapping. Enjoy. Incidentally,
that's how everyone found out that John McAfee was in Belize. He
posted some photos with the EXIF info was not removed and that
included the location data. Oops.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:41:56 +0100, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:28 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Stijn De Jong
wrote:

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

i doubt he was attempting to cross it. more likely he was not paying
any attention and only realized it when it was too late.

It's always possible that the hole got there after the van did.

Yes... It could have been an occurrence of an unscheduled twist in the
time space continuum. The boss gets vimy occasionally! ;-))

I wrote that before I realised that I was near the top of a long
thread. Lower down I read the actual explanation. Nevertheless I may
have been partly right. It could have been that the first time he
crossed that section of the road it was covered with flowing mud. When
he came back he again thought the road was (as he said) covered with
mud but by then it was a hole.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.online-sciences.com/wp-co...iscope-88.jpeg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 1:27:21 PM UTC-5, Stijn De Jong wrote:
These are real photos taken this very week of what's going on in the
mountains where Jeff Liebermann lives due to the Pineapple Express dropping
unheard of rain in California (drought my ass!).

Highway 17 landslide turns car over, blocks both lanes, and cleanup crew
killed. http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg

Hole in Skyline along the crest of the mountain ridge above the San Andreas
Fault opened up this week.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

the SAF runs thru the lakes on the east side

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 1:27:21 PM UTC-5, Stijn De Jong wrote:
These are real photos taken this very week of what's going on in the
mountains where Jeff Liebermann lives due to the Pineapple Express dropping
unheard of rain in California (drought my ass!).

Highway 17 landslide turns car over, blocks both lanes, and cleanup crew
killed. http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg

Hole in Skyline along the crest of the mountain ridge above the San Andreas
Fault opened up this week.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

my truck doors slammed shut when I opened the van photo
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

Hey Jeff:

I thought of you while on the Wet Coast last month.

I was in Sandy Eggo, where it was 51F and dreary, while warm and sunny
on the East Coast.

Then I was tipped to http://www.sccroadclosure.org/ -- at the
time I saw almost every road I knew of listed, save Freedom
Blvd, and Fern Flat - but that's private.

I also saw a picture of a
http://testsanat.com/fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/6-testsanat.jpg
on a far steeper slope, maybe along 9.

I skipped your area & flew to SEATAC via Sacramento; there was
miles of flooded farmland visible.

But the worst indignity was 27 Feb: I left the [MUST SEE] Museum
of Flight, and realized I could not see the bus stop midst the
snow... and I-5 was closed both ways from a propane tanker
sidewise...

I got back to BWI; and it was 80 on Wed.

{not to beat up on Jeff; I like visiting Santa Cruz/Aptos/etc. But..}

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On 2017-03-09 17:36:10 +0000, David Lesher said:

Hey Jeff:

Hello Nymshifter.

Now go away.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On 2017-03-09 17:36:10 +0000, David Lesher said:

Hey Jeff:

Hello Nymshifter.

Now go away.

false hit.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital

On 2017/02/12 10:32 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Stijn De Jong
wrote:

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

i doubt he was attempting to cross it. more likely he was not paying
any attention and only realized it when it was too late.

Or the road just collapsed out from under him. It was a landslide, and
if it was raining hard (or night) he (or she) may have had no warning at
all.

John