DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kodi device not seen by Denon Receiver (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/585621-kodi-device-not-seen-denon-receiver.html)

root February 8th 17 03:10 PM

Kodi device not seen by Denon Receiver

I switched receivers from an Onkyo to a Denon 3313CI, and
the Denon does not seem to see my little Kodi device.
If the Kodi is connected to the receiver when the Kodi
powers up, I can see the very start of the sequence, but
then the display goes black. This happens for any HDMI input
to the Denon.

Connecting the Kodi directly to the TV works fine.

The Denon has no trouble with any of my other HDMI devices.
What could the problem be?
Thanks.

Jeff Liebermann February 9th 17 04:59 AM

Kodi device not seen by Denon Receiver

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 14:10:57 +0000 (UTC), root
wrote:

I switched receivers from an Onkyo to a Denon 3313CI, and
the Denon does not seem to see my little Kodi device.
If the Kodi is connected to the receiver when the Kodi
powers up, I can see the very start of the sequence, but
then the display goes black. This happens for any HDMI input
to the Denon.

Connecting the Kodi directly to the TV works fine.

The Denon has no trouble with any of my other HDMI devices.
What could the problem be?
Thanks.

I'm guessing, but any chance you're running 4K devices that require
HDMI 2.0 and use HDCP? This video explains the potential problem with
older HDMI standards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_YiECKlPuE

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

root February 9th 17 03:46 PM

wrote:

I switched receivers from an Onkyo to a Denon 3313CI, and
the Denon does not seem to see my little Kodi device.
If the Kodi is connected to the receiver when the Kodi
powers up, I can see the very start of the sequence, but
then the display goes black. This happens for any HDMI input
to the Denon.

Connecting the Kodi directly to the TV works fine.

The Denon has no trouble with any of my other HDMI devices.
What could the problem be?
Thanks.

I'm guessing, but any chance you're running 4K devices that require
HDMI 2.0 and use HDCP? This video explains the potential problem with
older HDMI standards:

Thanks for responding. The Denon isn't that old, it has 4K capability.
I have to check with Denon because a Roku which had been seen by
the Denon is now no longer visible. This is a story worth telling:

Like most receivers the Denon has a very elaborate remote and the
unit is dead in the water without it. I like to have a backup
remote but my faithful learning remote can't handle the Denon
codes so I have been shopping for a universal remote which will
operate the Denon. I tried two versions of the RCA units and
the best they could do was turn the receiver on and off. Last
night I tried a Sony RM-VZ320. The instructions that come with
universal remotes don't give a key mapping so after finding
that the power button can turn the unit on/off, you have to
experiment with the buttons to find their functionality.
So, I found that buttons 1-6 switched between different
inputs of the receiver. So far so good. Button 7 seemed
to switch to an aux input. Buttons 8,9 didn't seem to
do anything until I found that if you pressed these buttons
you lost the HDMI sound connection on whatever input you
were watching when you pressed the buttons. After spending
some time on the phone with Sony "technical support" it
turns out that they have no idea of what the buttons do. Support
means they look up the device code from the same data sheet
that comes with the device. After spending over an hour
trying to recover sound on the two inputs I lost because
of the Sony I did a factory reset on the receiver and
restored functionality on those inputs. However, the factory
reset caused the Roku to disappear after it had been
working with the Denon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_YiECKlPuE

Good video, and setting up to watch this video revealed
another shocking thing about the Denon: it seems that
if no input is sending audio through the HDMI connection
on any input to the Denon when the reveiver is turned on
no HDMI input is recognized by the Denon. Some consequence
of this may be my whole problem.

Thanks again Jeff.

Bruce Esquibel[_2_] February 9th 17 06:12 PM

root wrote:

Connecting the Kodi directly to the TV works fine.

The Denon has no trouble with any of my other HDMI devices.
What could the problem be?

There is no such thing as a "kodi device", kodi is software. Odds are it's
one of those black boxes loaded with a custom interface sitting on top of
an old version of kodi that can't be upgraded.

Have you tried to change the default settings?

home - system - settings - system - video output - display

Try changing the resolution to something else, even like 1280x720 to see if
the auto-default guessed wrong what it thinks it is connected to.

If you didn't build that "device" yourself, remember it could just be a
Rasberry Pi under there which barely has enough horsepower to do 720p.

-bruce

Jeff Liebermann February 9th 17 06:23 PM

Kodi device not seen by Denon Receiver

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 14:46:29 +0000 (UTC), root
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_YiECKlPuE

it seems that
if no input is sending audio through the HDMI connection
on any input to the Denon when the reveiver is turned on
no HDMI input is recognized by the Denon. Some consequence
of this may be my whole problem.

That means that all the HDMI inputs must be HDMI 1.3 or higher. 1.0
to 1.2 have audio, but only one bit, which might not work. If you're
running a TV, it should be 1.4 or higher to get bi-directional audio.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

It would seem that the HDMI port is "triggered" by the presence of a
digital audio stream. Makes sense because it's cheaper to do at low
audio frequencies than at video rates. If the Denon has an input
"scanning" feature, where it automagically selects an HDMI source that
is actively belching data, the lack of audio on the HDMI cable might
explain why it's ignoring the Kodi device. There should be some way
to disable this automatic input selection mis-feature in the settings.

What's inside the Kodi player? Raspberry Pi? Which version board?
You should be able to lookup the HDMI version level for the board and
see what it does with audio. My guess(tm) is that anything less than
HDMI 1.4 is going to do strange things. Oh-oh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Specifications
Looks like Raspberry Pi is HDMI 1.3.

root February 9th 17 07:15 PM

wrote:

[...]

The Denon is HDMI 1.4a. I got the Kodi to work, but I am still stymied
by two of the inputs to the Denon. One problem I had, to use the
Game input on the Denon, the receiver has to be set to the Multi-Media
input setting.

There is something in the manual about triggering, I will play
around with that. Thanks again.

root February 9th 17 07:18 PM

Bruce Esquibel wrote:
root wrote:

Connecting the Kodi directly to the TV works fine.

The Denon has no trouble with any of my other HDMI devices.
What could the problem be?

There is no such thing as a "kodi device", kodi is software. Odds are it's
one of those black boxes loaded with a custom interface sitting on top of
an old version of kodi that can't be upgraded.

Have you tried to change the default settings?

home - system - settings - system - video output - display

Try changing the resolution to something else, even like 1280x720 to see if
the auto-default guessed wrong what it thinks it is connected to.

If you didn't build that "device" yourself, remember it could just be a
Rasberry Pi under there which barely has enough horsepower to do 720p.

-bruce

Although I suspected that my device was a Rasberry Pi, I'm not sure.
I thought it best to refer to as a Kodi device and let it go
as that. I solved my immediate problem after finding out the
receiver doesn't map the inputs at the back to the selections
and display on the front.

Bruce Esquibel[_2_] February 10th 17 12:50 PM

root wrote:

Although I suspected that my device was a Rasberry Pi, I'm not sure.
I thought it best to refer to as a Kodi device and let it go
as that. I solved my immediate problem after finding out the
receiver doesn't map the inputs at the back to the selections
and display on the front.

For what it's worth:

If they didn't *******ize the kodi too much, you should be able to:

home - system - system info - hardware

and see the type of processor in there along with the cpu speed.

Might give some clue to the guts.

-bruce