Posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.freeware,comp.programming,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Hong Kong becomes a dumping ground for US e-waste, researchfinds

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 23:42:41 +0800
"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

Full story:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/h...und-us-e-waste

A two year investigation by *Basel Action Network attached 200 GPS
trackers on broken electronic items in the US and found many ended up
in dumping grounds in the New Territories.

Send the **** to South America.

Posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.freeware,comp.programming,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 17/1/2017 8:53 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:

Send the **** to South America.

We all knew that every country and nation on this planet just wanna
export their waste and sewage!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:21:22 AM UTC-5, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

We all knew that every country and nation on this planet just wanna
export their waste and sewage!

No, that waste and sewage is sent to where it is in demand. Or it would never get there.

This is pretty basic. And it is happening right out in the open with the full compliance of any and all relevant governmental bodies as may apply. Nothing covert, nothing dark, nothing smuggled, at least as it applies to what is under discussion.

Let me tell you a little story: Between 2002 and 2005, I managed a residential compound in Saudi Arabia. We had a school of 600, about 1,300 residents, 40,000 s.f. of professional offices, a major Consulate, two supermarkets, so on and so forth. Our daytime population was well over 2,000. We made our own water (deep wells), processed our own sewer on site and more. Because our base water was not brackish, or distilled, when we processed it through either of our two treatment plants, it was cleaner than the local municipal water (which was not bad at all). As we could not reuse it for drinking (high "YUK!" factor), we used it for irrigation. We had the greenest compound in the region, and the only full-grass soccer pitch in the province. But, what of the sludge? We chelated it for heavy metals (cheap and added phosphorus), and then contributed the sludge to local farmers (Look up Milorganite for a parallel process). The local farmers repaid us by setting up a Farmers' Market in the compound every weekend - at significant discounts to the local shops - even our own supermarkets. We also started a recycling program by polling local factories on what their feedstock needs might be - and then separating our solid waste accordingly. We saved money (literally by the ton), time and developed relationships that are still in place to this day. The rest of the Kingdom pretty much still follows the DiD (Dump-in-Desert) practice. It does not take much to recycle with care and attention.

But of a certainty, whining about it does no good and solves nothing, nor does reaching for "fairness".

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default a little story about recycling in Saudi Arabia

On 18/1/2017 5:12 AM, wrote:

[...]

Thank you sharing, Your Honor!

But your compound was not a computer factory. The recycling job is a lot
less complicated. My guess was mobile phones were imported rather than
manufactured in that little compound.