Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default differences ? stained glass soldering iron and electrical soldering iron

is a stained glass iron use able for rosin core solder on copper?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 2:02:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
is a stained glass iron use able for rosin core solder on copper?

Usable? Certainly. Very practical? Not hardly. Typically the tip is too broad, an gets too hot over too large an area for electronic use. Perhaps for chassis-connections but for circuit boards or single wire connections, not so much.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 3:43:02 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It should be fine. You should make sure the tip is cleaned of any acid
type flux before using the iron on copper and rosin type solder. That
is usually not a problem as when you clean the tip as you should befor
putting it to solder the old flux will come off.

Back in my very young days (before 16) I put together a couple of radio
kits using the soldering pencil looking thing that came in a wood
burning art kit I had. They all worked fine.

Ummmmmm, ummmmm. Stained Glass soldering irons start at 100 watts. And up.

They more-or-less look like this, bent or straight:

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-...30h-hex175.jpg

Tip Temperature is typically at/near 700F.

Wood burners can go as high as 800F, most are in the 480-550 range. And so would be OK - at least - for conventional electronic soldering.

Eutectic solder melts ~361F. 480F is a fine tip temperature, pretty much what I use.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

Ummmmmm, ummmmm. Stained Glass soldering irons start at 100 watts. And up.

They more-or-less look like this, bent or straight:

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-...30h-hex175.jpg

Tip Temperature is typically at/near 700F.

Wood burners can go as high as 800F, most are in the 480-550 range. And so would be OK - at least - for conventional electronic soldering.

Eutectic solder melts ~361F. 480F is a fine tip temperature, pretty much what I use.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

It all depends on what one is soldering. I have a 100 watt iron my dad
used. Back in the tube days they were the 'standard' iron. Think it
may have been called a black beauty.
I have a 100 watt iron with a very large tip, it may be for the stained
glass work. I don't know. Bought it to solder the pl259 coax plugs on
the coax cable.

The OP did not state what he was soldering. He may want to put together
a couple of # 12 wires so a large iron could be used.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 5:46:59 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

right...transistor/tubes....I forget. I was on the van roof soldering connectors to waterproof plugs n 10 Ga to 8 Ga for a set of Hella roof lights

3-4 connectors from work end day, the 40 watt Weller quit. I cleaned it. 0-.

went to the box for another . Cleaned it. -0- ..there's a chip

from the factory makes the chip shuts down 'save' when **** runs out of you at the library.

so I went over to Weller.China when I got down n to Amazon/GooShop

n settled on an 80 watt from Weller free shipping.

I had a gun up to 100w or 120w second squeeze...the $100 model.

40 watts drives me crzy. but I forget abt transistors

https://www.google.com/#tbm=shop&q=6... 098169798354 !!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 3:43:02 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It should be fine. You should make sure the tip is cleaned of any acid
type flux before using the iron on copper and rosin type solder. That
is usually not a problem as when you clean the tip as you should befor
putting it to solder the old flux will come off.

Back in my very young days (before 16) I put together a couple of radio
kits using the soldering pencil looking thing that came in a wood
burning art kit I had. They all worked fine.

Ummmmmm, ummmmm. Stained Glass soldering irons start at 100 watts. And up.

They more-or-less look like this, bent or straight:

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/c-...30h-hex175.jpg

Tip Temperature is typically at/near 700F.

The old Weller TCP1 irons had heat graded tips -700F seems to be the
standard, I've also seen 800F tips.

AFAIK: Stained glass windows are held together with plain lead - it requires
a much higher temperature than solder.

If the iron is as hot as I suspect - it'll probably burn off the flux too
quickly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ple.org,
Michael Black wrote:

I don't know about the big windows, but most of the home built items
seem to wrap the edges of the glass with copper foil.

Yes. I knew someone forty years ago who wsa doing it that way. I'm not
sure when it moved that way, somewhere I got the impression that it had
been done some other way in the past. Or maybe the split is that a
hobbyist will use copper foil, while for churches, it's something more
substantial.

http://www.warner-criv.com/techtips/copper.aspx

"The copper foil technique, method made popular by L.C. Tiffany at the
turn of the century, involves wrapping the pieces of glass with copper
foil and soldering them together along the length of the seams.

"Copper foil can be used as an alternative to lead in any instance at
the personal preference of the user. It is much stronger than lead
when soldered, needs no putty, is waterproof, and allows you to do
intricately detailed projects where the bulky look and weight of lead
would detract from the aesthetics of a delicate design."

According to another page on that site, lead "came" (channel)
sometimes comes with a hollow heart into which steel rod can be
inserted, to increase its strength. Zinc channels are sometimes used
for the same reason.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Probably can not use lead today as it seems everyone is afraid of lead
in the environment. Just looking at it causes all kinds of problems so
they say.
The solder would have to be lead free too. I did see on one of the web
pages that sells the equipment can not send the 50/50 solder to one
state and have to send the lead free or maybe the 60/40 type.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

[...]

Archeologists in the UK are still finding old Roman lead water ducting. Many
buildings (especially churches) have lead roofs that are lashed by rain and
hail that runs into the water table.

Theft of lead roofs by scrap metal thieves is a huge problem - I've been
told that they can't use other material because they are listed buildings
that must be maintained in original condition. There are products that look
just like lead roofing, but AFAIK: they're not allowed to use them.

The listed building laws probably apply equally to repairing or replacing
stained glass windows.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Weller's 80 watt iron arrived n tried it on 10 Ga with couplers. OK. problem solved no struggle (new iron) apply tip wait solder. No apply n wait maybe today ...with a 40W