Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell monitor - invokes factory reset at boot.

In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a factory
reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to the
right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is on
its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then
scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/17/2016 1:52 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a
factory reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to
the right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is
on its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then
scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

it's almost always bad caps.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a factory
reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to the
right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is on
its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then
scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

I found an Acer LCD monitor lying on the sidewalk, in front of a grocery
store actually, and all seemed fine, but if I left it running, it would
reset, and display the Acer logo. I didnt' see any obviously bad
capacitors, but I changed the electrolytic ones at the output of the power
supply, and all was fine.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
[...]

The last monitor that went down was bad caps - it was a more serious fault
and I was basically just having a look before binning it. When I saw how
simple it was, I did the repair.

There's one gathering dust in the corner, it has leakage on the front panel
buttons - it develops a mind of its own in damp weather.

Need to be a bit more desperate before I could be bothered doing anything
about it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

There's one gathering dust in the corner, it has leakage on the front
panel buttons - it develops a mind of its own in damp weather.

Yup, I had one that got a bit of drink spilled on it, and it corroded the
board with the button switches. Whenever a button starts acting up, I
remove the capacitor that is across the switch contacts and replace with a
100 pF cap, and clean the board well while the cap is removed. That seems
to have fixed it. The button switches themselves seem to be fine.

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

There's one gathering dust in the corner, it has leakage on the front
panel buttons - it develops a mind of its own in damp weather.

Yup, I had one that got a bit of drink spilled on it, and it corroded the
board with the button switches. Whenever a button starts acting up, I
remove the capacitor that is across the switch contacts and replace with a
100 pF cap, and clean the board well while the cap is removed. That seems
to have fixed it. The button switches themselves seem to be fine.

Mine doesn't have any switch capacitors, the board isn't corroded. I cleaned
it and re-tinned all the button pins hoping it would dry them out - that
didn't work.

Its a case of finding enough button switches to replace them all - and being
bothered enough to do the job.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike" wrote in message
news
On 12/17/2016 1:52 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a
factory reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to
the right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is
on its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then
scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

it's almost always bad caps.

Quite possibly - I'd just about summoned the courage to tackle the clutter
around the monitor so I could swap it out, I wanted something to eat so
fired up the PC while I was sitting there - suddenly the monitor was
behaving itself.

Other symptoms were starting to emerge; some display aspects were starting
to look washed out - the cursor would lose contrast while editing email
replies.

Today its suddenly working normally.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Quite possibly - I'd just about summoned the courage to tackle the clutter
around the monitor so I could swap it out, I wanted something to eat so
fired up the PC while I was sitting there - suddenly the monitor was
behaving itself.

Other symptoms were starting to emerge; some display aspects were starting
to look washed out - the cursor would lose contrast while editing email
replies.

Today its suddenly working normally.

I've found these microswitches leak some sort of oil, probably disintegration of some rubber part inside that turns conductive over time. This together with high impedance inputs causes false button presses.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeroni Paul" wrote in message
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Quite possibly - I'd just about summoned the courage to tackle the
clutter
around the monitor so I could swap it out, I wanted something to eat so
fired up the PC while I was sitting there - suddenly the monitor was
behaving itself.

Other symptoms were starting to emerge; some display aspects were
starting
to look washed out - the cursor would lose contrast while editing email
replies.

Today its suddenly working normally.

I've found these microswitches leak some sort of oil, probably
disintegration of some rubber part inside that turns conductive over time.
This together with high impedance inputs causes false button presses.

That was a different monitor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message
In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a
factory reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to the
right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is
on its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then
scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

That sounds like the Sony Blu Ray Player I smashed with a hammer a couple
of days ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike" wrote in message
news
On 12/17/2016 1:52 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a
factory reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to
the right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is
on its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then
scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

it's almost always bad caps.

The 19" hanns-G had leaky front button switches - they were replaced and its
fine.

The Dell didn't have a DVI connector, so I just had a quick look - on not
finding anything conspicuously obvious, I didn't bother putting it back
together.

If I didn't have another spare; I might've tried a bit harder.