Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Studiomaster powerhouse vision 12

Hi,

I received this desk in bits, literally, in a huge bag and have slowly been
rebuilding it.
There were a number of different revision boards probably from other
studiomaster desks in the bag also.

The modules I,ve used in the desk are as follows

Control/graphics R1A8 - 2

Power amps R1A5 - 4

Aux board R1A9 - 1

PSU R1A1 - 4

Insert pcb R1A3 - 4

The problem I have is no sound from the power amps.

I have traced the l&r signals from the "Amp" volume control on the Aux board
to CONN 2 (14W) pins 9 and 10 which then goes
via ribbon cable to the control/graphics board CONN 6 pins 9&10 labeled as
*AMP-L* and *AMP-R*.

According to the many studiomaster schematics I managed to find the signal
then leaves the control/gfx board via CONN 2
a 14 WAY to the insert board and PSU board for splitting to the power amps.

Thing is, CONN 2 on the c/g board is 16 WAY, it has to be as the connectors on
the insert board and psu are also 16 WAY and here lies the problem.

The power amps are expecting the I/P on their CONN 1's pins 9&10 ( IN- , IN+
) Not AMP-L ( or AMP-R )!!!

I was thinking the c/g board was the wrong revision. The only schematics I
have for the C/G board are for R8C8B-3.

Any ideas folks?

thank you,

Night...

____

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/12/2016 12:37, Nightlight wrote:
[...]

What makes you think there is the making of 1 full amp, in that collection?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

roups.com...

--

From memory, I think it is actually possible to fit a ribbon cable in the
wrong place on these.

Anyway, also from memory, the very longest cable that could be put in the
wrong place is used for the very longest run between any two sockets it can
fit in.
The next longest follows the next longest possible route.

There is a small MIDI board on the bottom corner at the back of the unit,
which has a connector in use, maybe you've missed that?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...12-167701-.htm
, Nightlight wrote:
diverse wrote:

[...]

what makes you think there isn't?

Everything works except feed to power amps!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

, Nightlight wrote:
What makes you think there is the making of 1 full amp, in that
collection?

--

I've done enough SM powered mixers mate.

Just never come across this problem before...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

, Nightlight wrote:
soundserviceleeds wrote:

[...]

From memory, I think it is actually possible to fit a ribbon cable in
the
wrong place on these.
Check carefully what connectors you have and what cables you have, you
might
have a cable missing?

Anyway, also from memory, the very longest cable that could be put in
the
wrong place is used for the very longest run between any two sockets it
can
fit in.
The next longest follows the next longest possible route.

There is a small MIDI board on the bottom corner at the back of the
unit,
which has a connector in use, maybe you've missed that?

Cheers,

Gareth.

--
Very true Gareth but I assure you they are all in the correct place.

Thank you for your reply

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

One more try.

Doesn't the Aux board on the top panel (carrying the L/R from the Amp volume
control) connect straight to the Insert PCB, NOT the FX board?
And doesn't the FX board connect to both the top panel and the MIDI board so
it can send and return signals to the mixer section, and be controlled via
MIDI?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

, Nightlight wrote:

One more try.

Doesn't the Aux board on the top panel (carrying the L/R from the Amp
volume
control) connect straight to the Insert PCB, NOT the FX board?
And doesn't the FX board connect to both the top panel and the MIDI
board so
it can send and return signals to the mixer section, and be controlled
via
MIDI?

Gareth.

--
Hi Gareth,

As I said before,
The Connector on the AUX board is 14 Way.
The connector on the insert board is 16 Way as is the connector on the PSU.

This desk has no MIDI

So the output from the Aux board must go to the 14 Way i/p skt on the
cont/grafx board

It's just that even though the output connector on the cntr/grafx board is 16
Way it has different pinouts from the other two.

I'm going to have to do some splicing to the ribbon.

..

Wish I could attach some drawings .

cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

, Nightlight wrote:
soundserviceleeds wrote:

[...]

FYI, the "Control/Graphics" board is the top panel board with all the graphic
eq sliders on it, the board with the display on it is called the "Display
proccesor"...