Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ipad 2 charges (slowly) but wont connect to itunes

Does anyone have any experience on this please? Does it usually tend to be 'replace the port'? or does slow charging make it the infinitely scarier 're-solder the connections on the motherboard' on this 2-3 year old unit?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Amanda Riphnykhazova writes:

Does anyone have any experience on this please? Does it usually tend
to be 'replace the port'? or does slow charging make it the infinitely
scarier 're-solder the connections on the motherboard' on this 2-3
year old unit?

Are you using the proper charger? May need to be high current. An
iPhone charger or PC USB port may not work.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Are you using the proper charger? May need to be high current. An
iPhone charger or PC USB port may not work.

Thanks Sam

I am pretty sure it is a hardware problem and am not worried by the slow charging. I may well be using the wrong charger.

I was wondering whether anyone had done many of these terminally 'wont connect to itunes' port problems to know if it is the cable or the motherboard connector?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:

I was wondering whether anyone had done many of these terminally 'wont
connect to itunes' port problems to know if it is the cable or the
motherboard connector?

Well, if you think it's the cable, just try a different one, they are cheap
enough to try.

The iPad 2 uses the 30 pin connector and I beleive power is tied across
multiple pins (maybe 4 and 4) so even if it's loose I think it'll be a "no
charge" rather than a slow one.

Likely, being that model is from 2011, the battery is probably shot or
getting close to it. Being it got left behind with ios9 (no more updates)
it's not a real desirable model anymore. It's glued together and takes some
skill to take it apart.

If iTunes isn't seeing it, try the cable first. Also note it needs iTunes
version 10.2 or later.

If you want to make a go of it yourself, start he

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad_2_Wi-Fi_EMC_2415

But as it warns, you have to use heat to crack it open and is considered a
"very difficult" repair for anything.

You might be able to find a local 3rd party shop who is experienced with the
repairs, figure $100-$150, but if it's worth it to you is your call. It is
an obsolete model.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:

I was wondering whether anyone had done many of these terminally 'wont
connect to itunes' port problems to know if it is the cable or the
motherboard connector?

I assume you restarted the iPad, but I didn't see that in your posts.
Hold both buttons until the apple symbol appears and then let it boot
from scratch. Also, try attaching it to someone else's PC. I have a
Windows 10 PC that refuses to see one particular iPad - not sure why.
It sees other ones and other Windows 10 PCs see the iPad. I haven't
had time to troubleshoot that, but don't assume the hardware is bad.
Good luck.

Pat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04.12.2016 17:57, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
Does anyone have any experience on this please? Does it usually
tend to be 'replace the port'? or does slow charging make it the
infinitely scarier 're-solder the connections on the motherboard' on
this 2-3 year old unit?

Check cable and connections. I-pads tend to use the data lines for
detecting the type of charger they are connected to (Apple uses a
proprietary non-standard coding of charger types via the resistive
dividers from the data lines to GND and VCC). If one of the data
lines is open, the thing will likely assume a "standard" charger
being connected, and therefore charge slowly. Also without both of
the data lines being properly connected, it won't be recognized
by the PC USB controller - the symptoms would fit what you see.

Dimitrij
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sorry everyone, I should probably have said that I had pretty much exhausted all soft options and would need a hardware one.

On a dead unit I dont mind heating up and trying to melt the glue on the screen to change the cheap (internal) cable and port but wanted to poll opinions on whether THIS scary repair is likely needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdyIQYrOrHQ&t=418s
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgfzwbl5wU4