Old November 24th 16, 10:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

Default Headphone connector repair

In article ,
says...

I'm impressed. In some other groups I've been asking about a
one-piece stereo to mono headphone adapter. I want one with a
built-in switch but even though it's not available I don't think
I'll be doing that to fit one!

If, as in link, it has a mono socket, what is the "mono/stereo" switch
going to do?

Mike.

Old November 25th 16, 12:23 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/21/2016 06:16 AM, Mike wrote:
In article ,
bitrex wrote:
On 11/20/2016 11:48 PM, isw wrote:

Now look around, spot the plug's back cover lying on the bench, curse
loudly, and start over, but this time slide the back cover on the cable
*first*!

Yes. I am guilty of this. :-(

Now you may progress to Stage 2 Error: Remembering to put the shroud on,
then discovering you put it on backwards ...

I committed a Stage 3 error today repairing one mo I put two shrouds
on. And only noticed until I had soldered up the plug.

They're solid metal.

I give up.
Old November 25th 16, 09:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

In article ,
says...

On 22:03 24 Nov 2016, MJC wrote:

In article ,
says...

I'm impressed. In some other groups I've been asking about a
one-piece stereo to mono headphone adapter. I want one with a
built-in switch but even though it's not available I don't
think I'll be doing that to fit one!

If, as in link, it has a mono socket, what is the "mono/stereo"
switch going to do?

Mike.

It would allow stereo headphones to play mono in both channels
(rather than in just the left channel) from a mono socket.

You're going to need a stereo socket for that! (I had hoped you would
work that out for yourself with my prompting!)

Mike.
Old November 25th 16, 05:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

In article ,
says...

On 09:02 25 Nov 2016, MJC wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 22:03 24 Nov 2016, MJC wrote:

In article ,
says...

I'm impressed. In some other groups I've been asking about
a one-piece stereo to mono headphone adapter. I want one
with a built-in switch but even though it's not available I
don't think I'll be doing that to fit one!

If, as in link, it has a mono socket, what is the
"mono/stereo" switch going to do?

Mike.

It would allow stereo headphones to play mono in both channels
(rather than in just the left channel) from a mono socket.

You're going to need a stereo socket for that! (I had hoped you
would work that out for yourself with my prompting!)

Mike.

One scenario I need to handle is when I want to play the output
from the headphone socket of a mono dictation machine on both
channels of stereo headphones.

At other times, the need is to pass through a stereo signal from a
stereo socket to stereo headphones and then to switch over to
hearing dual mono in the headphones.

It's all lovingly discussed in the thread in uk.d-i-y. :-)
MID:

Sorry, I don't feel loving enough to read that. If you don't understand
the need for a stereo socket, I give up!

Mike.
Old November 25th 16, 06:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Getting off topic but I've changed a bunch of high pin count ICs (through the hole type) and got most of pins soldered when discovering that one pin decided to stay out of it's hole..

Old November 27th 16, 10:18 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26/11/16 12:31, pamela wrote:

My dictation machine has on't a mono headphone socket so I don't
have any choice about it.

It would probably be easy to break into the unit and put in a small
stereo/mono toggle switch. Better than doing that after amplification.

--
Adrian C

Headphone socket Manticore UK diy 7 February 14th 11 10:34 AM
headphone with sensor pro Electronics Repair 0 April 2nd 09 10:23 AM
Advice - repair to six pin connector to dvd writer. Reg M Electronics Repair 4 January 27th 07 12:11 AM
No tv headphone sound David Sewell Electronics Repair 2 April 21st 05 10:42 PM
Headphone Jack Repair jj Electronics Repair 2 October 29th 03 01:05 PM