DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/581410-where-do-you-get-those-big-fat-plugs-extension-cords.html)

Robert Bannon November 15th 16 01:40 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!
https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dqef

Lowes has not as good ones for $5 to $7 each:
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Electrical-...cal/4294722553

Just curious if I can get the hospital grade plugs at about the Lowes price?

Any suggestions?

philo November 15th 16 01:51 AM

On 11/14/2016 06:40 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!
https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dqef

Lowes has not as good ones for $5 to $7 each:
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Electrical-...cal/4294722553

Just curious if I can get the hospital grade plugs at about the Lowes price?

Any suggestions?

Probably better to replace the whole cord but if you do replace either
the plug or receptacle do not cheap out.

I used such things on my job. Since I retired a few years ago I forgot
which brand names are which but those black and white ones will last
for years. The yellow ones can melt.

Ed Pawlowski November 15th 16 01:52 AM

On 11/14/2016 7:40 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

Lowes has not as good ones for $5 to $7 each:
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Electrical-...cal/4294722553

Just curious if I can get the hospital grade plugs at about the Lowes price?

Any suggestions?

You won't. Amazon has them cheaper than Grainger though. Everyone has
them cheaper than Grainger.

micky November 15th 16 02:42 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 00:40:05 -0000 (UTC), Robert
Bannon wrote:

I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!
https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dqef

Lowes has not as good ones for $5 to $7 each:
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Electrical-...cal/4294722553

Just curious if I can get the hospital grade plugs at about the Lowes price?

Any suggestions?

I know where you can get them. Go to the corner of 4th and Center St.
and find a guy in a knit hat named Snake. Tell him Micky sent you and
he'll fix you up. Bring cash.

whit3rd November 15th 16 02:59 AM

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:40:07 PM UTC-8, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!

You can get them cheaper, but 'hospital quality' implies lots of testing, including
guaranteed how-hard-they-hold-when-you-pull. There's lots of 'industrial' that's
just as rugged (and cheaper).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-15-Amp-125-Volt-Black-White-3-Wire-Plug/3739267

micky November 15th 16 04:54 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:59:35 -0800 (PST),
whit3rd wrote:

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:40:07 PM UTC-8, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like

You're going to cut off the good connectors that are on there now? Are
these cords UL approved? If so, the connectors are as good as the wires
between them, so if you replace the connectors and not the wires the
wires will become or remain the weak link.

Add to that the possibillty that you'll nick the copper when putting the
connector on, or do something else that will make your installation less
than perfect.

Why do you thihk the current connectors are not good enough? Are you
running the cords higher than their rating? How do you know that the
connectors won't take the higher load but the wires between them will?

Not only that, if you step on the hard ones, I think you're more likely
to twist your ankle than with the molde-on ones, and if you drive over
one, I think you can break it, but not the molded on ones.

this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!

You can get them cheaper, but 'hospital quality' implies lots of testing, including
guaranteed how-hard-they-hold-when-you-pull. There's lots of 'industrial' that's
just as rugged (and cheaper).

Yes, I think hospital quality includes what they pay for insurance in
case they burn down a hospital with 50 people too sick to get out in
time. (Plus all the expensive hospital electronics.)

When they burn down a normal factory, especially if it starts aas a
fire, usually everyone can get out. (Not sure about the hardware.)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-15-Amp-125-Volt-Black-White-3-Wire-Plug/3739267

Stormin' Norman November 15th 16 02:32 PM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 00:40:05 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

I'd like to replace them with those big fat meaty ones like those you see in
a hospital.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/5A076_AS01

Googling, they're pretty expensive at $20 to $40 each!
https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dqef

Lowes has not as good ones for $5 to $7 each:
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Electrical-...cal/4294722553

Just curious if I can get the hospital grade plugs at about the Lowes price?

Any suggestions?

Harbor freight has some decent male and female cord end connectors at a reasonable price, see:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

If you absolutely must have hospital grade connectors, you can get the best deal buying them used on eBay.

[email protected] November 15th 16 04:51 PM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

Hubbell has what you want, and from various sources.

https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-wiring-...gcls rc=aw.ds for the male end.

https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-wiring-...9c/i/G2032852/

for the female.

If this is what you want, search the various suppliers directly and then contact your local electrical supply house. They will sell these devices to 'civilians' around $10 or so, each.

Avoid the likes of Harbor Freight or other Chinese Junque outlets like the plague that they are.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

w9gb[_2_] November 16th 16 01:03 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

Robert -
IF you desire Hospital Grade -- then you will pay more for that designation/certification.
You do realize that surplus Hospital and military outlets (NOS) are where to look for bargains??
$10 to $20 each is COMMON for that designation.

I prefer Leviton, and have used Hubbell for other NEMA versions (straight and twist-lock).
You will notice that Home Depot and Lowes have switched to LeGrand and other cheaper brands.
---
McMaster-Carr and their "Will Call" window is 2 miles from my house (so I have ready access)
You can check prices on-line.
NEMA Electrical Pkugs and Receptacles
https://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical...acles/=1521gh9
===
NEMA is the North American standard AND we use 120 VAC, 60 Hz.
Majority of manufacturing for those NEMA plugs are Mexico or Central America (NAFTA).
--
I would not consider China sources via eBay, Alibaba, etc. for NEMA plugs.

[email protected] November 16th 16 02:19 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

[...]

You don't need hospital grade - which are overpriced - but you DO
need a quakity plug. Hubbell makes good ones (as well as cheap ones)
Leviton too.
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V

LEVITON
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V
Product #
LET5466C

Hubbell HBLHBL8215C

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
PLUG STRBLADE ANGLE 15A 125V
Product #
HBLHBL5266CA
Just for starters.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] November 16th 16 04:07 AM

On 11/14/16 6:40 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at Woodhead brand?

micky November 16th 16 04:17 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 16:03:30 -0800 (PST),
w9gb wrote:

[...]

Central America is related to CAFTA. North America stops at the
Mexico-Guatemala border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini... ade_Agreement
The agreement is a treaty under international law, but not under the
U.S. Constitution because in the United States laws require majority
approval in both houses, while treaties require two-thirds approval in
the Senate only. Under U.S. law, CAFTA-DR is a congressional-executive
agreement.

The U.S. Senate approved the CAFTA-DR on June 30, 2005, by a vote of
54-45,[2] and the U.S. House of Representatives approved the pact on
July 28, 2005, by a vote of 217-215, with two representatives not
voting.[3] Controversy arose over this vote because it was held open 1
hour and 45 minutes longer than the normal 15 minutes in order to get
some members to change their votes.[4] For procedural reasons, the
Senate took a second vote on CAFTA on July 28 and the pact garnered an
additional vote from Sen. Joe Lieberman —who had been absent on June 30—
in favor of the agreement.[5] The implementing legislation became Public
Law 109-053 when it was signed by President George W. Bush on August 2,
2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...rade_Agreement
Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1990 among the three
nations, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian
Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for
spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed the
agreement in their respective capitals on December 17, 1992.[7] The
signed agreement then needed to be ratified by each nation's legislative
or parliamentary branch.

Robert Bannon November 16th 16 09:48 PM

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:19:48 -0500, wrote:

You don't need hospital grade - which are overpriced - but you DO
need a quakity plug. Hubbell makes good ones (as well as cheap ones)
Leviton too.
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V

LEVITON
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V
Product #
LET5466C

Hubbell HBLHBL8215C

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
PLUG STRBLADE ANGLE 15A 125V
Product #
HBLHBL5266CA
Just for starters.

Harbor Freight have HFT brand plugs for 3 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...tor-61568.html

How is HFT as a company?

Robert Bannon November 16th 16 09:48 PM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

I need the female more than the male but that price of 3 bucks seems like
the best I've seen for a good quality connector.

The females are also 3 bucks so this seems the best bet yet!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...plug+connector

[email protected] November 16th 16 10:35 PM

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 3:48:30 PM UTC-5, Robert Bannon wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:19:48 -0500, wrote:

You don't need hospital grade - which are overpriced - but you DO
need a quakity plug. Hubbell makes good ones (as well as cheap ones)
Leviton too.
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V

LEVITON
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V
Product #
LET5466C

Hubbell HBLHBL8215C

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
PLUG STRBLADE ANGLE 15A 125V
Product #
HBLHBL5266CA
Just for starters.

Harbor Freight have HFT brand plugs for 3 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...tor-61568.html

How is HFT as a company?

It is not so much how HFT (H-arbor F-reigh-T) might be, it is the brute fact that Harbor Freight is mostly an outlet for Chinese Junque, and _ANYTHING_ from that source is suspect. I find Harbor Freight a very dangerous organization, as many of the tools they sell go from "new" to dangerous almost in a flash, with special attention to moving parts and anything gasoline driven or electrical. A neighbor purchased a 4,000 watt generator from them last spring for his truck - he is a high-end handyman. He reported that it blew up in less than 20 hours. HF took it back, but he then spent the money and purchased a small Generac unit. No more troubles.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Stormin' Norman November 16th 16 11:57 PM

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:48:29 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

I need the female more than the male but that price of 3 bucks seems like
the best I've seen for a good quality connector.

The females are also 3 bucks so this seems the best bet yet!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...plug+connector

I have used quite a few of them and I have never experienced a failure.

[email protected] November 17th 16 02:52 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:48:28 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:19:48 -0500, wrote:

You don't need hospital grade - which are overpriced - but you DO
need a quakity plug. Hubbell makes good ones (as well as cheap ones)
Leviton too.
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V

LEVITON
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V
Product #
LET5466C

Hubbell HBLHBL8215C

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
PLUG STRBLADE ANGLE 15A 125V
Product #
HBLHBL5266CA
Just for starters.

Harbor Freight have HFT brand plugs for 3 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...tor-61568.html

How is HFT as a company?

Generally speaking they ar a purveyor of "middle of the road"
Chiunese junk.. Likely adequate for your use but certainly not
"hospital grade" quality.

[email protected] November 17th 16 02:57 AM

wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

I need the female more than the male but that price of 3 bucks seems like
the best I've seen for a good quality connector.

The females are also 3 bucks so this seems the best bet yet!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...plug+connector

They "look like" a quality connector - but check them There is a
reason they are 1/4 or less of the price of a brand name part. They
MAY be "good enough"

micky November 17th 16 06:30 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:35:07 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

[...]

This is not fair. I had my appendix out at Harbor Freight Hospital and
they did a real good job. Cute nurses too.

Wait. It was Harbor View Hospital. Sorry about that. That was a real
hospital in Batlimore until they sold the naming rights to Medstar,
maybe because too many people confused them with Harbor Freight.
http://us.hospitalby.com/usa-hospita...ew-9-hospital/
And I still have my appendix.

[email protected] November 22nd 16 01:00 AM

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

NO

http://www.google.com/#q=115V+GROUND...m=shop&start=0

Lowes has a selection. The lower cost plugs melted here in an auto DC/inverter/charger.

See if Lowes has Levitons

Grainger will come thru with quality for industrial applications. Lowes ?

[email protected] November 22nd 16 01:09 AM

http://www.alliedelec.com/circular-c...ar-connectors/