Old November 16th 16, 04:07 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?

On 11/14/16 6:40 PM, Robert Bannon wrote:
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with
molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like
this:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/De...0-403_HR_0.jpg

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at Woodhead brand?

Old November 16th 16, 04:17 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 16:03:30 -0800 (PST),
w9gb wrote:

Robert -
IF you desire Hospital Grade -- then you will pay more for that designation/certification.
You do realize that surplus Hospital and military outlets (NOS) are where to look for bargains??
$10 to $20 each is COMMON for that designation.

I prefer Leviton, and have used Hubbell for other NEMA versions (straight and twist-lock).
You will notice that Home Depot and Lowes have switched to LeGrand and other cheaper brands.
---
McMaster-Carr and their "Will Call" window is 2 miles from my house (so I have ready access)
You can check prices on-line.
NEMA Electrical Pkugs and Receptacles
https://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical...acles/=1521gh9
===
NEMA is the North American standard AND we use 120 VAC, 60 Hz.
Majority of manufacturing for those NEMA plugs are Mexico or Central America (NAFTA).

Central America is related to CAFTA. North America stops at the
Mexico-Guatemala border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini... ade_Agreement
The agreement is a treaty under international law, but not under the
U.S. Constitution because in the United States laws require majority
approval in both houses, while treaties require two-thirds approval in
the Senate only. Under U.S. law, CAFTA-DR is a congressional-executive
agreement.

The U.S. Senate approved the CAFTA-DR on June 30, 2005, by a vote of
54-45,[2] and the U.S. House of Representatives approved the pact on
July 28, 2005, by a vote of 217-215, with two representatives not
voting.[3] Controversy arose over this vote because it was held open 1
hour and 45 minutes longer than the normal 15 minutes in order to get
some members to change their votes.[4] For procedural reasons, the
Senate took a second vote on CAFTA on July 28 and the pact garnered an
additional vote from Sen. Joe Lieberman —who had been absent on June 30—
in favor of the agreement.[5] The implementing legislation became Public
Law 109-053 when it was signed by President George W. Bush on August 2,
2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...rade_Agreement
Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1990 among the three
nations, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian
Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for
spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed the
agreement in their respective capitals on December 17, 1992.[7] The
signed agreement then needed to be ratified by each nation's legislative
or parliamentary branch.
Old November 16th 16, 09:48 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

I need the female more than the male but that price of 3 bucks seems like
the best I've seen for a good quality connector.

The females are also 3 bucks so this seems the best bet yet!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...plug+connector
Old November 16th 16, 10:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 3:48:30 PM UTC-5, Robert Bannon wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:19:48 -0500, wrote:

You don't need hospital grade - which are overpriced - but you DO
need a quakity plug. Hubbell makes good ones (as well as cheap ones)
Leviton too.
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V

LEVITON
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V
Product #
LET5466C

Hubbell HBLHBL8215C

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
PLUG STRBLADE ANGLE 15A 125V
Product #
HBLHBL5266CA
Just for starters.

Harbor Freight have HFT brand plugs for 3 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...tor-61568.html

How is HFT as a company?

It is not so much how HFT (H-arbor F-reigh-T) might be, it is the brute fact that Harbor Freight is mostly an outlet for Chinese Junque, and _ANYTHING_ from that source is suspect. I find Harbor Freight a very dangerous organization, as many of the tools they sell go from "new" to dangerous almost in a flash, with special attention to moving parts and anything gasoline driven or electrical. A neighbor purchased a 4,000 watt generator from them last spring for his truck - he is a high-end handyman. He reported that it blew up in less than 20 hours. HF took it back, but he then spent the money and purchased a small Generac unit. No more troubles.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old November 16th 16, 11:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:48:29 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

I need the female more than the male but that price of 3 bucks seems like
the best I've seen for a good quality connector.

The females are also 3 bucks so this seems the best bet yet!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...plug+connector

I have used quite a few of them and I have never experienced a failure.
Old November 17th 16, 02:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:48:28 -0000 (UTC), Robert Bannon
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:19:48 -0500, wrote:

You don't need hospital grade - which are overpriced - but you DO
need a quakity plug. Hubbell makes good ones (as well as cheap ones)
Leviton too.
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V

LEVITON
PLUG PREMIUM GRADE WHITE 20A 250V
Product #
LET5466C

Hubbell HBLHBL8215C

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
PLUG STRBLADE ANGLE 15A 125V
Product #
HBLHBL5266CA
Just for starters.

Harbor Freight have HFT brand plugs for 3 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...tor-61568.html

How is HFT as a company?

Generally speaking they ar a purveyor of "middle of the road"
Chiunese junk.. Likely adequate for your use but certainly not
"hospital grade" quality.
Old November 17th 16, 02:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:32:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-vol...lug-93686.html

I need the female more than the male but that price of 3 bucks seems like
the best I've seen for a good quality connector.

The females are also 3 bucks so this seems the best bet yet!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...plug+connector

They "look like" a quality connector - but check them There is a
reason they are 1/4 or less of the price of a brand name part. They
MAY be "good enough"
Old November 17th 16, 06:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:35:07 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

[...]

This is not fair. I had my appendix out at Harbor Freight Hospital and
they did a real good job. Cute nurses too.

Wait. It was Harbor View Hospital. Sorry about that. That was a real
hospital in Batlimore until they sold the naming rights to Medstar,
maybe because too many people confused them with Harbor Freight.
http://us.hospitalby.com/usa-hospita...ew-9-hospital/
And I still have my appendix.

Old November 22nd 16, 01:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

NO

http://www.google.com/#q=115V+GROUND...m=shop&start=0

Lowes has a selection. The lower cost plugs melted here in an auto DC/inverter/charger.

See if Lowes has Levitons

Grainger will come thru with quality for industrial applications. Lowes ?

Shaver plugs/cords (again) Jon Connell[_2_] UK diy 9 June 7th 13 08:58 PM
Proper Use of Extension Cords Mr WithEveryShot Home Repair 5 August 17th 10 09:33 PM
extension cords rb Home Repair 20 September 13th 09 03:26 PM
about EXTENSION CORDS (safety) [email protected] Home Repair 19 August 4th 06 02:43 PM
Wireless Extension Cords Michael Kennedy Electronics Repair 3 April 2nd 06 10:44 PM