Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sorting out thwarted network connection.

The objective is to add a laptop running XP-SP3 to an empty socket on the VM
hub.

There are several possible causes - I don't know which one/how many are
stopping the gubbins up.

VM may not allow XP on their network, but I've been told any OS should work
as long as I have the DCHP settings right - I could do with a hint where to
look for that.

Last time I experimented with Linux, it somehow got online without me
entering any UN or PW - I think I got those right, but if Linux can sort
that out its one point in favour.

I'm aware that Ethernet cables come in straight and crossover
configurations. The one on my tower PC obviously works, but I don't know if
its any better for the laptop than the one I tried - its a lot of hassle to
get at the back of the tower.

Any help would be appreciated to narrow down which cause(s) are stopping
things.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/11/16 19:48, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
The objective is to add a laptop running XP-SP3 to an empty socket on
the VM hub.

There are several possible causes - I don't know which one/how many are
stopping the gubbins up.

VM may not allow XP on their network, but I've been told any OS should
work as long as I have the DCHP settings right - I could do with a hint
where to look for that.

I'm so glad I'm not on virgin.

--
Adrian C