Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speed control adjustment causes drill motor to stop

I have one of those small bench top drill presses. It stopped starting a while back.

So I figured it's probably all gunked up inside and just needed a good cleaning and lube, at least it's worth a shot. Nope, I got the case open and everything looks good.

Turned it on, it started fine. It has an adjustable speed dial, it was set on medium. I touched it and it quit and wouldn't restart. The drill will start with the speed dial at medium or high but not in between, and stops instantly if the speed control is moved when it's running.

I expected you could use a speed control to ramp it up and down while it's running but this one doesn't function that way. Is it broken, or are they supposed to do that?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 05:16:23 -0800 (PST), Tim R
wrote:

Is it broken, or are they supposed to do that?

Kinda sounds like you're dealing with a bad solder connection or loose
connector. Unplug it, tear apart the speed controller, and look for
bad solder connections or loose connectors. If you don't feel safe
with electricity, kindly resist the temptation to apply power and
wiggle the wires.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/11/16 13:16, Tim R wrote:
I have one of those small bench top drill presses. It stopped
starting a while back.

So I figured it's probably all gunked up inside and just needed a
good cleaning and lube, at least it's worth a shot. Nope, I got the
case open and everything looks good.

Turned it on, it started fine. It has an adjustable speed dial, it
was set on medium. I touched it and it quit and wouldn't restart.
The drill will start with the speed dial at medium or high but not in
between, and stops instantly if the speed control is moved when it's
running.

I expected you could use a speed control to ramp it up and down while
it's running but this one doesn't function that way. Is it broken,
or are they supposed to do that?

Mechanical?

If it is the type with an intermediate pulley, take both belts off and
clean/lubricate the pulley shaft.

ALDI Workzone 500w Drill Press unboxing / assembly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mv4yWklNA

Mine (same as vid) gums up with dirt, the pulley jams on the shaft and
the motor stalls. Hasn't got electronic speed control, ye have to move
belts.

Great drill, otherwise. Cost me 25 pounds (UK).

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 5:21:46 AM UTC-5, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 08/11/16 13:16, Tim R wrote:
[...]

No, not mechanical. No belts, just a motor that speeds up and down incrementally, so I assume some kind of primitive SCR control.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Possibly a burned or dirty spot on the control potentiometer.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Ask me about my vow of silence.