Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default capacitance meter

On 07/11/16 07:43, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a cheap Chinese capacitance meter with 3 lead sockets: "CX-" & 2
"CX+". One CX+ is labeled "200mA fused" and the other "MAX 36VDC".
Neither of these labels make any sense to me & I don't understand when I
would use which socket. I did check the web, without finding an answer.
Can anybody help?

I suspect the "MAX 36VDC" is AC coupled, perhaps with a bipolar/ceramic
parallel combo, so you can test capacitance (approximately) in-circuit
while it's powered up. The other one is DC coupled with a fuse.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/11/2016 20:43, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a cheap Chinese capacitance meter with 3 lead sockets: "CX-" & 2
"CX+". One CX+ is labeled "200mA fused" and the other "MAX 36VDC".
Neither of these labels make any sense to me & I don't understand when I
would use which socket. I did check the web, without finding an answer.
Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Bob

Is one at equipt ground ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/6/2016 3:43 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a cheap Chinese capacitance meter with 3 lead sockets: "CX-" & 2
"CX+". One CX+ is labeled "200mA fused" and the other "MAX 36VDC".
Neither of these labels make any sense to me & I don't understand when I
would use which socket. I did check the web, without finding an answer.
Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Bob

I asked this of a number of eBay sellers with the same meter. 2
answered - one said that he'd ask his supplier & the other that he
thought it was because the manufacturer used the same case for another
meter. That explains the 3 sockets, but not the labeling. Oh well.

Maybe I'll open it. Someday.

Bob