Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Al Dykes

Default Is 130Deg F on the heatsink too hot for a HiFi amp ?

I've got a "better" Sony receiver/amp that's working fine.

I recently connected the audio from a PC sound card to the AUX input
ond it sounds great. I've been listening to Internet Radio and my MP3s
but I've noticed that for what seems to be the same listening level
the amp runs much hotter (30DegF) when run from the PC signal source,
compared to the other external inputs.

A thermometer in contact with the HS reads 130Deg F.

Is This too hot ?

When I first hooked the PC up I got an audible 68Hz hum. A Radio Shack
transformer made for ground loop elimination eliminated it, which also
isolated any DC offset.

Any suggestions ?

--
Al Dykes