Jason

Default TV lost picture then lost sound..

Hello,

I have a toshiba 36" TV that is about 9 years old.. It's been a good
TV until today.. I turned it on and the power light lit up but there
was not picture only sound.. I tried all the connnections and tried
turning it off and then on again several times and then realized that
I lost the sound also.

The set was about 900 to 1,000 when I bought it.. and has been a good
TV... My question is what should I do? Does it sound like it's dead?
The power light is blinking..(doesn't usually do that) ...

I guess I should take it to a TV repair place.. What is a fair price
for them to diagnose the problem...?? I'm in Miami.

Don't want to throw good money away if you guys are pretty sure I'm
going to need another tv...

Thanks

J..
Jason D.

On 15 May 2004 20:34:11 -0700, (Jason) wrote:

Hello,

I have a toshiba 36" TV that is about 9 years old.. It's been a good
TV until today.. I turned it on and the power light lit up but there
was not picture only sound.. I tried all the connnections and tried
turning it off and then on again several times and then realized that
I lost the sound also.

The set was about 900 to 1,000 when I bought it.. and has been a good
TV... My question is what should I do? Does it sound like it's dead?
The power light is blinking..(doesn't usually do that) ...

I guess I should take it to a TV repair place.. What is a fair price
for them to diagnose the problem...?? I'm in Miami.

Don't want to throw good money away if you guys are pretty sure I'm
going to need another tv...

Thanks

J..

Another Jason, oh my. :-)

Anyway, have two guys and move it to good shop that is authorized by
toshiba and get a estimate. Shouldn't more than 1/3 of a new RCA or
JVC 32" value. I don't bother with 36", hellva weight and RCA or JVC
46" projector gives good life btw.

Sure that tube is still sharp and even, no tinted color (Blurry? Also
rememeber did it have bit of purplish or greenish? Which is sign of
aged tube.)

By the way, I find that big tubes (32", 36" even 40") seems to age bit
more eariler than smaller decent tubes in 20, 25 adn 27 and occasional
32".

A grand 9 year ago might sounds like low end 36". Back then it is
more than a grand for a nice good TVs with loaded features. Heck, I
was told a high end 27" in fake wood cabient 20 years ago (CTC131) RCA
with loaded input and outputs, IR remote and "piano keys style"
buttons (!!), AKB etc was 1,400. Had one fixed couple weeks ago, tube
*still* is good. That's amazing.

Cheers,

Wizard
Jerry G.

Only send your set to an authorized Toshiba service centre, unless you know
for sure the one you choose is familiar with the Toshiba sets. Unless you
are properly trained, and equipped you will not be able to service this
yourself.

The fault can be in the power supply, and or the horizontal output stage,
and or some other areas that are critical to the operation of the set. With
the proper troubleshooting techniques, an experienced technician can service
the set for you.

Before the set went defective, if the picture had any colour hue to it, or
was soft focus, or anything like that, don't invest good money in to it.
These are signs of a failing picture tube.

--

Jerry G.
=====

om...