Arnold stewart

Default RCA T.V. - CTC197CE2

After pressing the power button, the t.v. clicks three times, and then
nothing.
I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good. Any
new ideas except that the flyback,and/or picture tube is shot, or that
the EEPROM is corrupted?

Sofie

snipped:

"Arnold stewart" wrote in message

I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good.

---------------
Arnold stewart:
In the power supply and H.V. section that you said "everything checks
good"..... how did you check the electrolytics in those parts of the
circuitry?
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Jason D.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:59:23 -0400, Arnold stewart
wrote:

After pressing the power button, the t.v. clicks three times, and then
nothing.
I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good. Any
new ideas except that the flyback,and/or picture tube is shot, or that
the EEPROM is corrupted?

Sure sign that flyback is toast in that particular situation. Fairly
common, usually happens in bunches for CTC197.

About 60 to 70, for that fly.

Post the service model number, it has three extra characters added to
the model number, so we can tell you the exact part number for the
fly.

Cheers,

Wizard

David

You say everything in the hv and power supply checked ok, how?
That is the Thomson three strikes and your out, no horizontal confirmation
of start up getting back to the system control.

Obviously something is not coming up in the deflection/hv stage.

David

"Arnold stewart" wrote in message
After pressing the power button, the t.v. clicks three times, and then
nothing.
I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good. Any
new ideas except that the flyback,and/or picture tube is shot, or that
the EEPROM is corrupted?

Arnold stewart

Two ways. With the cap checker on my multimeter and by removal of the
doubtful caps and checking them with my capacitor checker (A Conar tube
instrument built 20 years ago when following a course in TV repairs from
McGraw Hill institute)

Sofie wrote:
snipped:

"Arnold stewart" wrote in message

I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good.

---------------
Arnold stewart:
In the power supply and H.V. section that you said "everything checks
good"..... how did you check the electrolytics in those parts of the
circuitry?

Arnold stewart

What I checked are the resistors, caps, HOT, and diodes. I unsoldered
the collector of the HOT and connected a 100W light bulb. With the
power switch on or off, I meseaure 139 volts.

David wrote:

You say everything in the hv and power supply checked ok, how?
That is the Thomson three strikes and your out, no horizontal confirmation
of start up getting back to the system control.

Obviously something is not coming up in the deflection/hv stage.

David

"Arnold stewart" wrote in message

After pressing the power button, the t.v. clicks three times, and then
nothing.
I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good. Any
new ideas except that the flyback,and/or picture tube is shot, or that
the EEPROM is corrupted?

RonKZ650

The flyback is all that goes bad in the CTC197 (well 99% of the time). Replace
it and you'll be all fixed up. Get the right one, there are about 3 different
CTC197 flybacks depending on the screen size.
Ron

jtech

"Arnold stewart" wrote in message
After pressing the power button, the t.v. clicks three times, and then
nothing.
I checked the power supply & H.V. section. Everything checks good. Any
new ideas except that the flyback,and/or picture tube is shot, or that
the EEPROM is corrupted?

Might be a secondary form the flyback shorted out. try opening(unsolder
leads around flyback) and see if it powers on to identify if one is shorted.
Of course only unsolder secondary leads on flyback Cant do em all. Its
what I did to discover a secondary short. Hv then powered up and from there
you can trace it out.

Shoreline Electronics

Remove the horizontal output transistor. If the sets stays on with good
regulated B+ at the collector pad , your flyback is defective. Common issue

Replace Flyback Rca P/N 237506 Also Rca Special Note Indicates C14710, &
R14704 Should Also Be Replaced. These Are Included If You Purchase The Rca
Flyback.

Do not use a generic....get the real deal.

--
Jeff Stielau

"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
Fudd's First Law of Opposition - Sir Sidney Fudd